Are Cheap ITR's Worth it?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I've been looking into buying an ITR for a while simply because it adds a whole new level to what I can do. However, they are pretty expensive. I was thinking of buying a cheap one, at least until I have enough money to buy a legit one like T2. Does anyone know if they are worth it? I know Penguin sells one for $15 which is what I was looking into, but I am seeing the exact same thing being sold at various sites for $1 - $12.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If it's being sold for $1 I wouldn't trust it. Probably a rip off, or a download talking about the reels.

A cheap ITR can still get the job done, what it really comes down to is how hard they are to maintain, and how smoothly they will work.

If it's super cheap there's a good chance the workmanship will be sub par and the thread will snag easily and break frequently.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If it's being sold for $1 I wouldn't trust it. Probably a rip off, or a download talking about the reels.

A cheap ITR can still get the job done, what it really comes down to is how hard they are to maintain, and how smoothly they will work.

If it's super cheap there's a good chance the workmanship will be sub par and the thread will snag easily and break frequently.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Does anyone have any experience with the I-Boss Kevlar by Sorcery Magic? If so, would you recommend it? It seems like the best cheap option.

Jul 26, 2016
Maaz, Christopher is right. I found out the hard way about the cheap ones - they are absolutely worthless, to the point of actually being totally non-functional. Even the somewhat more expensive, better-made reels have problems with them, and the fix is not easy. Michael Ammar has a method that does not even involve the use of a reel.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have not used the I-Boss but I have used the mini-boss. It's not bad, as long as the holes are done correctly (it can be hit or miss), but if the thread breaks it tangles like crazy.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I bought Defiance by Mariano Goni. It works great and hasn't broken on me yet. I got it for $30 I believe.
The DVD is well taught.. not the best (his English isn't great) but done well enough to teach the effects provided.

Jul 28, 2015
So I've been looking into buying an ITR for a while simply because it adds a whole new level to what I can do. However, they are pretty expensive. I was thinking of buying a cheap one, at least until I have enough money to buy a legit one like T2. Does anyone know if they are worth it? I know Penguin sells one for $15 which is what I was looking into, but I am seeing the exact same thing being sold at various sites for $1 - $12.
Do you have any experience in thread work?? Also have you considered a static line instead of a reel??

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I've discovered a site that sells everything... including magic. The original Tarantula is selling for $11...
I blew the $11...just to get the product. If it's the real deal (which I doubt) or a cheap ass knock off. I'll let you guys and gals know when it comes (if it comes)...it says it's coming from the US....

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Do you have any experience in thread work?? Also have you considered a static line instead of a reel??
Nope. Well actually, I have a very limited experience with IT. I've done a bit of experimenting, But never got it into a trick. I've also experimented with Loops a very tiny bit.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
you pay for what you get. an items value is determined by you also. my suggestion is to go out and perform using loops first for people. you do need to invest in a somewhat expensive IT if you are serious about using it, usually 20 to 50. You can replace thread but if you buy a cheap unreliable piece of garbage then their is no point.

Reactions: CWhite
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I've done some more research, and found that the reason the I-Boss is so cheap is that they were able to change some stuff in the manufacturing process which made it considerably cheaper while still providing the exact same product. The reason for this might be that they moved on to produce the mini, and more. Further more, the IT itself is made of Kevlar, and most people are recommending it for people new to ITRs because I am less likely to break it while practicing (it is a lot stronger and thicker, but still pretty much invisible). So it's cheaper not because of the quality, but because of the manufacturer.

That being said, I might take this one to experiment with before eventually buying a top end one (T2, Venom, Spider Pen Pro... any others? Also, any major differences in the 3?) whilst still experimenting with Loops (I am breaking them way to easily).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Kevlar is one of the thickest ITs out there. It's often used for stage because of this, as I understand. In close up situations it can be tricky to hide.

Jul 28, 2015
So I've done some more research, and found that the reason the I-Boss is so cheap is that they were able to change some stuff in the manufacturing process which made it considerably cheaper while still providing the exact same product. The reason for this might be that they moved on to produce the mini, and more. Further more, the IT itself is made of Kevlar, and most people are recommending it for people new to ITRs because I am less likely to break it while practicing (it is a lot stronger and thicker, but still pretty much invisible). So it's cheaper not because of the quality, but because of the manufacturer.

That being said, I might take this one to experiment with before eventually buying a top end one (T2, Venom, Spider Pen Pro... any others? Also, any major differences in the 3?) whilst still experimenting with Loops (I am breaking them way to easily).
I would recommend that if your new to IT work to start out using a static line of IT, no reel no tension on the thread, so you can get a feel for it also some of the best and natural looking effects are done using a static line hookup just check out some of Steve Fearsons work especially his famous floating cigarette routine... once you get used to IT then I would suggest to move up to a reel...

May 26, 2019
The omega reel isn't too expensive (i paid $15 for it) and it is really smooth IMO
Where did you get the Omega Reel from? I'm looking for a reel that is actually invisible (unlike those Ebay knockoffs) and is quiet enough. This seems like a good option without spending too much, considering they're all super expensive.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results