Saturday Night Contest - A Novel Idea

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Awesome, thanks for the contest!

Sorry, but I don't agree with you too, I agree that there were a ton of good performances. But if you understood the method of my trick, then you should understand that this exact trick can be performed in a real life situation, I just didn't had any people to perform for. :)

For the first time i dont agree with the winner!
Not an original method and also not as deceptive due to the magician doing the trick on himself as he has to pick the word himself... so it is pointless.
Seems like to have won only due to the revealation which was not the challange.
Just my opinion.

Aug 6, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the contest!

Sorry, but I don't agree with you too, I agree that there were a ton of good performances. But if you understood the method of my trick, then you should understand that this exact trick can be performed in a real life situation, I just didn't had any people to perform for. :)

Of course you had someone to perform to.. what about the person who called out stop in the video? So lets be realistic.
The main point is that the main effect - the card with the hole - is not an original idea.
I believe thats what the contest was about... originaltiy

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Of course you had someone to perform to.. what about the person who called out stop in the video? So lets be realistic.
The main point is that the main effect - the card with the hole - is not an original idea.
I believe thats what the contest was about... originaltiy

Besides in giving an example Casey did not mention that the contest was based on originality....It seems to me that you took the his whole use of the word "original" out of context. He did say that they are looking for creativity and execution... One can be creative without being totally original.

Hey guys, hope you all are having a great weekend!

The challenge this week is this: create an effect that involves a BOOK in some way. For example, you can make an illustration come to life, tear a page from the book and make it re-appear perfectly intact, take a book off a shelf and make it vanish only to re-appear in its original place. Anything you can think of that involves a book is fair game. We are looking for creativity and execution, so if you show us something unique and perform it well, you could be walking home with this week's prize!

Film your performance and upload it to either YouTube or Instagram, and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, September 17th. Once time is up our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Points and ZODIAC, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jebzy
Aug 6, 2017
Besides in giving an example Casey did not mention that the contest was based on originality....It seems to me that you took the his whole use of the word "original" out of context. He did say that they are looking for creativity and execution... One can be creative without being totally original.

Dont you think that the word CREATE means that you have to come up with something. That thing is then an original idea.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Not an original method and also not as deceptive due to the magician doing the trick on himself as he has to pick the word himself... so it is pointless.
Just my opinion.
1st off, the contest was to make an effect and present it well. Jebzy's presentation was absolutely amazing.

Secondly, the effect doesn't have to be original. There are only a handful of effects out there. It's how you present it that creates the effect.

Finally, this is 100% possible in real life. I think you are thinking he completely faked it. The person holding the camera could not have done it, because they were holding the camera... I don't think you quite understand the method used here.

Even if you do, it's not about the method.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Dont you think that the word CREATE means that you have to come up with something. That thing is then an original idea.

I thought your argument revolved around originality though. What are you now telling me that creating something is what was at stake? Definitions vary my friend, I think that Casey has been doing these contests for a while now. His and the judges interpretation of what is creative/original should be pretty accurate by now(10+ years). Every Saturday he hosts a contest free of charge so that we the community can choose whether or not we want to participate. I think that you along with everyone else should be thankful to him. Don't be petty about it and try to deconstruct what he said or didn't say.

Aug 6, 2017
I thought your argument revolved around originality though. What are you now telling me that creating something is what was at stake? Definitions vary my friend, I think that Casey has been doing these contests for a while now. His and the judges interpretation of what is creative/original should be pretty accurate by now(10+ years). Every Saturday he hosts a contest free of charge so that we the community can choose whether or not we want to participate. I think that you along with everyone else should be thankful to him. Don't be petty about it and try to deconstruct what he said or didn't say.

Guys, you all overexaggerate the whole thing. I shared my opinion and thats all to it. As anyone else i have the right to express my thoughts in any way i want to. Doesnt matter if you like to or not, you have to respect and accept my opinion and vice versa. You loved the performance i didnt.
END OF THE DISCUSSION... at least for me - you can keep on crying how good it was :)

Reactions: azaanq

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Guys, you all overexaggerate the whole thing. I shared my opinion and thats all to it. As anyone else i have the right to express my thoughts in any way i want to. Doesnt matter if you like to or not, you have to respect and accept my opinion and vice versa. You loved the performance i didnt.
END OF THE DISCUSSION... at least for me - you can keep on crying how good it was :)

You started crying first!! You posted right after Casey posted the results about how it's pointless.

Just my opinion.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
All of us at theory11 are welcome to criticism and we take all viewpoints into consideration. We most certainly welcome feedback regarding any aspect of judging, etc. With that said, we can all stay civil and professional here and recognize that each person has their own unique views on magic. At the end of the day, each one of these types of contests is to inspire people to get outside their comfort zone and try something different. We certainly don't expect the next ground-breaking method for an effect to be created in 24 hours, although sometimes it can happen! You never know, and that's what is so great about these types of contests. It's all about going beyond the current step you're at and taking your skill-set to new ground. This is only part of it, as the effect still needs to be practiced and performed to the best of your ability. Worst case scenario is that now you have a new idea to work on and it can potentially be a new effect you can perform to others. We certainly hope that's the case!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results