Saturday Night Contest - Suspended In Air

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope you all are having an excellent start to the weekend! If you haven't seen already, the Tarantula II has crawled its way into our store. The long-awaited update to Yigal Mesika's classic device, Tarantula II is a powerful, practical close-up levitation tool that will enable you to make any small object float in mid-air or move on command. To help celebrate what this amazing device can do, tonight's contest is inspired by the art of levitation.

What's the challenge? Your job is to create an effect that involves an "impossible" suspension/levitation in some way. It could be the main part of the effect, or it could be a tiny part. The main thing we are looking for is how creatively the suspension/levitation is used in the effect. For example, you could levitate a ring as you place it on your finger, suspend a deck of cards on the edge of a table, etc. As long as there is a suspension/levitation in your effect, it is fair game.

What are we looking for specifically in the judging process? Creativity, Execution, and Originality. Make sure your effect is polished before filming, and make sure you think outside the box for this one. The more creative, unique, and original, the better. Also, the video must be NEW - uploaded between the posting of this contest and the end. Any old videos submitted will be automatically disqualified.

Film your performance and upload it to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram. Then, post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, September 24th. After time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Points and your very own Tarantula II, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

Good luck!

Fidget spinners can do anything these days!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZcEELqh7du/

This one was tough! For the spirit of the contest, I wanted to actually invent something so I didnt use any IT nor any magicians wax to distinguish this from Hummer Card. I had my show yesterday and levitated a dollar bill in front of a packed audience that I wish I could shown but I feel like the challenge of making something new.

Haschich

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2016
Brazil
www.instagram.com
This one was really tough!
I tried a little different floating selection routine.
I had some problems filming, low resolution camera, people passing by, poor lighting and just only one chance to film (due to techinical reasons).
So the result is a little worse than the expected but a cool concept I guess!
Hope you guys enjoy it!

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for this one. Fun fact: This was the first trick I bought before I really got into magic. So thank you random guy on the boardwalk in Myrtle Beach :p

Good luck everyone! This is going to be a tough one to judge!

Fidget spinners can do anything these days!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZcEELqh7du/

This one was tough! For the spirit of the contest, I wanted to actually invent something so I didnt use any IT nor any magicians wax to distinguish this from Hummer Card. I had my show yesterday and levitated a dollar bill in front of a packed audience that I wish I could shown but I feel like the challenge of making something new.
Now that the contest is over now, I want to share this image of my performance of Spider Pen Pro from my first headlining stage show. Cheers! I'll try to review it with a performance clip in the coming months.

Attachments

• 21952648_340606613068749_1652820071_o.jpg
    21952648_340606613068749_1652820071_o.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 20

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys, time for results! We knew this one wasn't easy, but we appreciate everyone who stepped up to the plate and took on this challenge. It's very difficult to come up with something original and creative regarding levitation/suspension effects as a lot of it has been done, but we were very confident that you all would bring new stuff to the table, which you have done! The talent in this community is unparalleled. Thanks to everyone for your great work!

With that said, originality and creativity were definitely factors in the judging process this week. It was close, but the winner that we decided on was very unique with his effect and it caught us by surprise. Definitely left a lasting impression on us. Congrats to Khaleel Olaiky for taking home this week's prize! The hard work was certainly worth it - please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize shipped out to you ASAP!

Everyone deserves a round of applause for making this one really enjoyable and a pleasure to watch. See you all on Saturday for a new contest!

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
Thank you so much, all the time and effort I spent yesterday was definitely worth it, good luck everyone next week.

how many takes did it took you?

Glad you asked Furrukh, actually it took me about 4 hours just trying to figure out how can I make this hat in the air, trying and refining different methods and filming it, I learned that hats are quite heavy to float LOL, but to answer your question it took me about 16 takes until I figured out how to make it look nice but as Casey said

The hard work was certainly worth it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results