Deck switch

Aug 6, 2017
The invisible deck is one of my favorite tricks. When I do it people want to inspect the deck but I don't let them (obviously). I want to be able to let them see it but I can't really put it away then take out an entirely new deck. I'm trying to find a good deck switch that I can do. And it would be nice if it could apply to other tricks too.

I currently use two deck switches: Cooler by Cristian Engblom and Cold Case by Gregory Wilson. Both of those switches are pretty solid. There is also a book by Robert Giobbi called The Art of Switching Decks which I think you would be interested in. Shawn Farquhar put out a release just recently called RSVP that teaches the deck switch he used on Fool Us with Penn and Teller.

Reactions: Boomer
Aug 6, 2017
I currently use two deck switches: Cooler by Cristian Engblom and Cold Case by Gregory Wilson. Both of those switches are pretty solid. There is also a book by Robert Giobbi called The Art of Switching Decks which I think you would be interested in. Shawn Farquhar put out a release just recently called RSVP that teaches the deck switch he used on Fool Us with Penn and Teller.
Thanks for the different products. I looked at all of them and cooler had a lot of bad reviews saying it was easy to see the gimmick. Would you agree? I think I really like cold case and rsvp so might check them both out. The book is also interesting but for 55 dollars I would rather spend 30ish on the dvd and gimmick and by some sleight of hand books. I just want 1 solid deck switch. So basically my question is is cooler easy to see and do you think rsvp or cold case is better? Thanks for the help and sorry for my rambling about stuff.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
First off, never let a spectator inspect anything. You are the performer, you are in control.

Second, if you openly spread the deck and then have the spectator take the face down card from the deck - there shouldn't be any suspicion. Have them look at the card first and then turn it to show the audience. This builds up the reveal because the spectator reacts and then the audience reacts. At that point the attention is on the spectator and nobody cares about the deck.

If you need to use a regular deck after the invisible deck (seriously, what card trick can follow the invisible deck?) keep a unboxed deck of regular cards in your left pocket. As the spectator is looking at the card put the invisible deck in your right pocket. As the spectator shows the card to the audience, take the cards out of your left pocket. Nobody will ever know.

If you are performing and want to bring in an Invisible Deck, put the deck in a box and put the box in your right pocket. Ask people if they liked your performance. Then tell them there is one more effect you want to do. Reach into your left pocket and pull out the invisible deck and ask a spectator to hold the box while a card is named.

Simple is better.

Aug 6, 2017
First off, never let a spectator inspect anything. You are the performer, you are in control.

Second, if you openly spread the deck and then have the spectator take the face down card from the deck - there shouldn't be any suspicion. Have them look at the card first and then turn it to show the audience. This builds up the reveal because the spectator reacts and then the audience reacts. At that point the attention is on the spectator and nobody cares about the deck.

If you need to use a regular deck after the invisible deck (seriously, what card trick can follow the invisible deck?) keep a unboxed deck of regular cards in your left pocket. As the spectator is looking at the card put the invisible deck in your right pocket. As the spectator shows the card to the audience, take the cards out of your left pocket. Nobody will ever know.

If you are performing and want to bring in an Invisible Deck, put the deck in a box and put the box in your right pocket. Ask people if they liked your performance. Then tell them there is one more effect you want to do. Reach into your left pocket and pull out the invisible deck and ask a spectator to hold the box while a card is named.

Simple is better.
Thank you for the tips. Good points brought up! I will try it next time

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I agree with everything these guys have said.

I would also like to say that Deck Switches are super easy to pull off if the spectators aren't looking. Ballsy, but easy

Also, you might want to learn a regular 2 handed deck switch. Just have a deck in your back pocket, ditch the hot deck in the other pocket, and take out the cold deck. with the other. You can then switch hands if you want to.

If you want a deck hold out that allows you to switch decks easily (if you end up performing to many audiences consecutively or whatever), check out @obrienmagic 's Switcheroo deck hold out! You can buy a $5 DIY version HERE (literally takes a few seconds to make, and wont cost you more than a few bucks), or buy the High quality Leather version HERE (will last you significantly longer, probably for atleast a good 5 or more years) for $25. I have been experimenting with the DIY version for quite a while, and I really like it (will probably buy the leather version too). He also has a ton of tricks on the marketplace that use it, which you might like. Really easy to use, and frees up pocket space! I have some tips on it, in case you do end up going with it, just PM me if you want to know about them! Or you can PM Michael, he's active on these forums :)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: obrienmagic
Aug 6, 2017
I agree with everything these guys have said.

I would also like to say that Deck Switches are super easy to pull off if the spectators aren't looking. Ballsy, but easy

Also, you might want to learn a regular 2 handed deck switch. Just have a deck in your back pocket, ditch the hot deck in the other pocket, and take out the cold deck. with the other. You can then switch hands if you want to.

If you want a deck hold out that allows you to switch decks easily (if you end up performing to many audiences consecutively or whatever), check out @obrienmagic 's Switcheroo deck hold out! You can buy a $5 DIY version HERE (literally takes a few seconds to make, and wont cost you more than a few bucks), or buy the High quality Leather version HERE (will last you significantly longer, probably for atleast a good 5 or more years) for $25. I have been experimenting with the DIY version for quite a while, and I really like it (will probably buy the leather version too). He also has a ton of tricks on the marketplace that use it, which you might like. Really easy to use, and frees up pocket space! I have some tips on it, in case you do end up going with it, just PM me if you want to know about them! Or you can PM Michael, he's active on these forums :)

Hope this helps!
Awesome! less expensive then anything else too! Ill look at it and see if ill get it

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Apr 26, 2016
As a counter to the deck switch, why not just not execute one at all? I accomplish the same invisible effect using an entirely normal deck and a double backer. Just as powerful, just as useful, and much, much less work to cleanup than an invisible.

Aug 6, 2017
As a counter to the deck switch, why not just not execute one at all? I accomplish the same invisible effect using an entirely normal deck and a double backer. Just as powerful, just as useful, and much, much less work to cleanup than an invisible.
Where did you learn the trick to just having to use a double backer? I would love to learn that

Dec 12, 2007
I too would agree that the spectator is not in charge and that over proving things is not a wise choice. That said I would also say learning a good deck switch is a essential tool in the toolbox of any card magician. Yes you an learn it in my RSVP, but Giobbi's book offers a ton of choices too. I also have a stand alone digital download called SWITCH that teaches the same move that's taught in RSVP but for just ten bucks. It doesn't have the whole RSVP routine, just the switch and some effects you can use with it. The invisible deck is a killer effect and in fact I used it just last night in my show on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship. It never ceases to amaze.

Aug 6, 2017
I too would agree that the spectator is not in charge and that over proving things is not a wise choice. That said I would also say learning a good deck switch is a essential tool in the toolbox of any card magician. Yes you an learn it in my RSVP, but Giobbi's book offers a ton of choices too. I also have a stand alone digital download called SWITCH that teaches the same move that's taught in RSVP but for just ten bucks. It doesn't have the whole RSVP routine, just the switch and some effects you can use with it. The invisible deck is a killer effect and in fact I used it just last night in my show on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship. It never ceases to amaze.
Thanks so much Shawn awesome to hear from someone so known and talented as you!!

Reactions: itsmyjob
Aug 6, 2017
Also for the deck switch you use can i do it without putting it in someone's hand? Cause when you did it on penn and teller you did put the deck in their hand and I watched the trailer and you did the trick in a hand as well. If answering the question gives away too much it's fine.

Jul 28, 2017
Now I am a newbie and still learning but I was at a friends retirement party and was doing a few little tricks and I just had the one normal bog standard deck on my and after my tricks I would take the cards, casually put them away while talking and they would go hey wait, let me see those cards so I would take them back out of my pocket and show them.

Why not just do a similar thing? Just be real casual about using your deck, put the cards away slowly while talking casually, asking if they thought it was cool and pop them in your coat pocket. Then when they say hey wait can I see the cards? you just get out a different deck? I mean that happened to me 7 times that 1 night of me showing a few tables some tricks! Nothing amazing just their card upside down in deck, a triumph, some colour changes and some jokers stealing their cards little trick and a simple mind reading trick and they after I had already pocketed the deck ask to see them.

I imagine if you are confident and act like it is all legit then they wouldn't question that you swapped decks. Or even as you drop off the deck pick up the other deck (switch) and after you hand them the deck put your hand in your pocket again and remove the first deck. I dunno my brain is probably too awake at the moment, I need to go chill ! xD

Aug 6, 2017
Now I am a newbie and still learning but I was at a friends retirement party and was doing a few little tricks and I just had the one normal bog standard deck on my and after my tricks I would take the cards, casually put them away while talking and they would go hey wait, let me see those cards so I would take them back out of my pocket and show them.

Why not just do a similar thing? Just be real casual about using your deck, put the cards away slowly while talking casually, asking if they thought it was cool and pop them in your coat pocket. Then when they say hey wait can I see the cards? you just get out a different deck? I mean that happened to me 7 times that 1 night of me showing a few tables some tricks! Nothing amazing just their card upside down in deck, a triumph, some colour changes and some jokers stealing their cards little trick and a simple mind reading trick and they after I had already pocketed the deck ask to see them.

I imagine if you are confident and act like it is all legit then they wouldn't question that you swapped decks. Or even as you drop off the deck pick up the other deck (switch) and after you hand them the deck put your hand in your pocket again and remove the first deck. I dunno my brain is probably too awake at the moment, I need to go chill ! xD
lol ok i understand

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I usually keep the invisible deck on my as a back up in my walk around set. Sometimes, I perform with a wine glass and will place the ID in the glass while I do other magic with another colored deck. The glass is there in full view the entire time. If I mess up a trick I draw their attention to the invisible deck and reveal their card, if they ask about the deck I go right into the trick, and if I want I can close with the invisible deck.

I like to draw attention to the deck as something special. In their minds it is special because it is isolated in a glass. I make the effort to explain that it has been prepared with a prediction (they can't look at it yet because it's set up as a prediction!). When they see what the prediction was there is nothing else to be seen as far as the deck is concerned.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results