Working on a new effect

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Since the completion of my book and some projects for my company, I've sat down to work out a new effect (not new to me as I have been performing it for about 7 years) called "Counterpart." I'm looking for some feedback on the concept of the effect, to determine if it's worth completing and sharing with others or if it's something I should keep for my own use...not to mention to determine if anyone has heard of an effect like this. I know there are quite a few sealed deck routines but I haven't heard of one that is as fair as this.

EFFECT:
You walk a spectator into a store and purchase a new, sealed pack of cards (this is more for presentation. You could also simply carry a sealed deck of cards on you. We will use red for this explanation but it can be any color). You hand the spectator the sealed red deck of cards and you never touch it after the purchase. They can even sign the sealed deck to make sure you haven't switched it out. You then pull out an opened blue deck of cards and have them freely select a card. The card is shown front and back and placed immediately in their other hand. They see that the card has a blue back and that there is nothing out of the ordinary with the card. With the snap of your fingers, not only does their selected card change to red (in their hand), but it actually switches places with it's counterpart in the sealed red deck that you just purchased and handed to them and literally never touched. They are asked to open the sealed deck and begin spreading through the cards until they reach the only blue card in the red deck. This card is turned over to reveal that it is indeed their card.

This can be done with a selected card from a deck or it can be done with a card the spectator thinks of. I've performed multiple variations of this (selected card/thought of card/deck purchased with the spectator/me simply giving them the new deck to use, etc). The most powerful response I have gotten was purchasing the deck with them and using another deck of the opposite color for them to select a card...because this allows their card to change colors in their hand and adds the first of 2 "wows"

Jun 1, 2009
This sounds really cool! I feel like I've seen or heard of a concept similar (card from deck A goes to deck B), kind of like Sawn Farquhar's RSVP. I think the color change is a nice touch.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
This sounds really cool! I feel like I've seen or heard of a concept similar (card from deck A goes to deck B), kind of like Sawn Farquhar's RSVP. I think the color change is a nice touch.
Oh definitely. There are various variations of a card going from one deck to another and even a card showing up in a sealed deck. I found that purchasing the deck with the spectator and handing it to them to sign and keep without me ever touching it, adds a true impossible location to the effect. It adds the element of "there's no way this deck, purchased at the store right in front of me, and then immediately handed to me, could have had this card in it from the beginning." The signing of the sealed deck by the spectator, further adds an element of impossibility because they have then "switch proofed" it. Once the spectator inspects their chosen card front and back and they've been holding that as well...it creates an entire effect in which the magician really significantly touched nothing the entire time.

When I came up with the idea for this, the ability to look up whether or not it previously existed wasn't something readily available. Once that became available, I began looking pretty relentlessly over the years. I have found effects that are fundamentally "card to sealed deck" tricks. All of them began with the magician having the sealed deck from the beginning and introducing it to the spectator. Typically none of it happened in the spectator's hands either. So I finally felt comfortable considering putting it together in a marketable product. Obviously it was then time to talk to other magicians to see if it was a good enough effect to be worth the time and effort to produce the product.

Jun 1, 2009
Definitely. I honestly have no clue how the card to sealed deck plot works, but I do like all the elements of "he didn't touch it."

Could you, for a scheduled show, have a spectator bring a deck they bought fresh (still sealed) beforehand, and still do the effect?

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Could you, for a scheduled show, have a spectator bring a deck they bought fresh (still sealed) beforehand, and still do the effect?
In theory yes. There are some factors that come into play here but yes. For example, it will depend on the brand of cards and the color. Essentially, if they bring a red sealed deck, you will need to make sure to have a blue deck to use for their selection. Additionally, if they bring a bridge deck and you are using a standard poker sized deck...there could be a problem.

Aug 6, 2017
it
Since the completion of my book and some projects for my company, I've sat down to work out a new effect (not new to me as I have been performing it for about 7 years) called "Counterpart." I'm looking for some feedback on the concept of the effect, to determine if it's worth completing and sharing with others or if it's something I should keep for my own use...not to mention to determine if anyone has heard of an effect like this. I know there are quite a few sealed deck routines but I haven't heard of one that is as fair as this.

EFFECT:
You walk a spectator into a store and purchase a new, sealed pack of cards (this is more for presentation. You could also simply carry a sealed deck of cards on you. We will use red for this explanation but it can be any color). You hand the spectator the sealed red deck of cards and you never touch it after the purchase. They can even sign the sealed deck to make sure you haven't switched it out. You then pull out an opened blue deck of cards and have them freely select a card. The card is shown front and back and placed immediately in their other hand. They see that the card has a blue back and that there is nothing out of the ordinary with the card. With the snap of your fingers, not only does their selected card change to red (in their hand), but it actually switches places with it's counterpart in the sealed red deck that you just purchased and handed to them and literally never touched. They are asked to open the sealed deck and begin spreading through the cards until they reach the only blue card in the red deck. This card is turned over to reveal that it is indeed their card.

This can be done with a selected card from a deck or it can be done with a card the spectator thinks of. I've performed multiple variations of this (selected card/thought of card/deck purchased with the spectator/me simply giving them the new deck to use, etc). The most powerful response I have gotten was purchasing the deck with them and using another deck of the opposite color for them to select a card...because this allows their card to change colors in their hand and adds the first of 2 "wows"
sounds similar to chris ramsay's red pill but I think the trick is awesome. It is super incredible since they have the deck the whole time.

Reactions: DisasterTheory
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
it

sounds similar to chris ramsay's red pill but I think the trick is awesome. It is super incredible since they have the deck the whole time.
It's similar to red pill I guess, but it really isn't anything close as far as I can tell.

I've been working on a similar effect mark, though I'm a certain mine is different from yours. Mine only uses 1 sealed deck and a freely named card. I have the idea for it down, but it's pretty hard to develop irl. Yours sound way better!

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just checked Ramsay's Red Pill (call me "out of the loop" but of all the times I've seen Ramsay...I have never actually checked out any of his official effects.) I have to admit that after watching it, it does look similar, with regards to some of the end result being similar.

I think where mine differs is the fact that the magician doesn't have to give them a sealed deck of cards of his/her own. The magician can purchase the sealed deck on the spot, with the spectator.

Aug 6, 2017
I just checked Ramsay's Red Pill (call me "out of the loop" but of all the times I've seen Ramsay...I have never actually checked out any of his official effects.) I have to admit that after watching it, it does look similar, with regards to some of the end result being similar.

I think where mine differs is the fact that the magician doesn't have to give them a sealed deck of cards of his/her own. The magician can purchase the sealed deck on the spot, with the spectator.
True. The ending is a little similar but yours is much harder to explain or even image as possible as a spectator since u can go to the store and get it with them.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So reading this, I can imagine giving the spectator the same experience using some advance preparation and three pretty basic sleights. I'd probably add a gaffed card that would replace one of the sleights with a double lift.

Now, if you tell me that you never touch the unopened red deck and can hand the blue deck to the spectator to make a selection by looking through the face up cards and choosing any one, then I'd be impressed as a magician. Nonetheless, the effect would be the same as mine for the spectator.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Now, if you tell me that you never touch the unopened red deck and can hand the blue deck to the spectator to make a selection by looking through the face up cards and choosing any one, then I'd be impressed as a magician. Nonetheless, the effect would be the same as mine for the spectator.
Typically the way I perform this effect is that the only time I ever touch the unopened deck is when the purchase is being made in front of them. On occasion, I even let them choose the deck off the shelf. I generally pay for the deck and then hand them the deck, the receipt and a sharpie to sign it. They hold the deck from that point on.

I generally use various different options for choosing a card, from one performance to another when doing card effects. One of which is actually giving the spectator the deck to choose a card from the face up deck. I have used that particular option only a few times for this effect when performing it. However, I usually use a more common method for selecting a card, depending on if I plan to perform more effects for them (I try not to reuse selection methods if I can help it). I had actually considered putting that variation in the trailer (if I proceed to create a product out of it) BUT I decided against adding that variation to the trailer because I don't plan to teach that method in the actual product and didn't want to mislead a buyer into thinking they would learn that (as it's a bit more advanced) in the pdf/dvd. The business person in me, thought that method would be best suited for the next volume of Deceiver's Codex, but realize now that it may be a selling point for Counterpart lol

Jul 13, 2014

EFFECT:

I'm intrigued. Please let me know if you decide to explain/release it.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The only problems I see with this:

If your not performing for friends/family, you can't exactly go into a store with your "normal" spectator and go buy a deck with you. It'll make for a great trick if your hangin with friends at a mall (where cards are being sold), but besides that, I don't see many applications for it. Sure you could use a sealed one that you have been carrying around for this trick specifically, though there are already some similar effects on the market if it is your own sealed deck, And kind if beats the purpose. It just doesn't seem workable too often.

Your buying a deck everytime. I mean, it's an excuse to buy decks lol but still

If you bought one deck, why not buy another? Why would you use your own deck to have it selected? Why would you use one at All? These are possible questions the spectator might ask.

Don't get me wrong, The trick seems insanely dope to magicians, but it doesn't sound to practical.

Still really intrigued though.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
If your not performing for friends/family, you can't exactly go into a store with your "normal" spectator and go buy a deck with you. It'll make for a great trick if your hangin with friends at a mall (where cards are being sold), but besides that, I don't see many applications for it. Sure you could use a sealed one that you have been carrying around for this trick specifically, though there are already some similar effects on the market if it is your own sealed deck, And kind if beats the purpose. It just doesn't seem workable too often.
This could be a problem. However, the way I have always performed this is that I do an effect or two and only do this effect if it is in proximity to a store to buy a pack of cards. If it's not, I usually won't do the effect. However, after an effect or two, I usually get the inevitable (bet you can't do that with a regular deck...even though that's all I generally use). So I then go to "Okay, let me show you something..." The store purchase is really only there to confirm that there is no way you could set it up beforehand.

If you bought one deck, why not buy another? Why would you use your own deck to have it selected? Why would you use one at All? These are possible questions the spectator might ask.
You actually can buy both decks on the spot if you want (it just adds an additional sleight), and you can do a variation in which the card is merely thought of. The only reason I use a second deck to have a card selected is for the color change that happens in their hand. Without the second deck of the opposite color, there would be no color change lol

Your buying a deck everytime. I mean, it's an excuse to buy decks lol but still
This is MY major drawback to the effect when I do it. Since I have been doing this for about 7 years now, can you imagine the amount of packs of cards I collect and get rid of over time? lol At one point I had about 160 decks of standard Bicycle cards. I began using them for T&R effects, letting people keep the decks, etc

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
What if instead of a different colored card, you have a double blank card in that position? I mean, it's a variation on it, but I think that would be a lot cooler imo.

Does this use any gimmicks? Like actual gimmicks, not including the "set up" (I'm assuming you are using a "set up", correct me if I'm wrong. Can't say too much without having something slip out from under my fingers).

4L, 5, 6, 8

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results