School Magician??

May 2, 2016
Hey guys!!! I'm just your average 16 year old that is enamored by magic; and now I've been learning magic for a little over 3 years, and most of my school knows of me. I'm currently in my Junior year, and my previous Sophomore and Freshman year I have entered my school's talent show and won both years, so now I have a reputation to keep. BUT, here's the big butt, life has been busy and I don't have much time to research new methods/tricks/theories/ideas. I rarely have time to read any of Erdnase's books. So, I am hoping that this great community can bless me with some advice, or tricks, that I can easily research myself and build my routine for my school's talent show. Thank you for taking your time to read this, and if you do respond...thank you again. :)

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
You mentioned Erdnase, so obviously you're into cards. The question is however, these talent shows...are they close up or on a stage? This would depend on the type of effects you could pull off. Keep in mind however, that the allure to magic is not just "the tricks." It's the performance. Magic is art, it's theater, it's abandonment of the disbelief of the impossible for a short period of time. The best performances I have ever seen were performances in which even though the effect was so simple, the performance grabbed me and made me emotionally invested and I couldn't help but say "Wow...that was beautiful." Those performances grab the majority of your senses. They combine performance art, with magic, music and visual.

If everyone is used to you doing cards, and cards are your thing, maybe consider adding some stage friendly aspects to some card effects. For example, combining Toxic with cards (maybe as a closer) might be a nice touch. I actually described an effect in my book, called "Impossible Prediction," that combines a calculator, a little bit of mentalism and a card prediction that leaves your audience absolutely sure that there was no way you could have known any of it in advance.

You could also give a nod to the classic magicians that came before you by starting with a classy old school routine (tux/tails, some classical effects), with some classy/haunting music in the background. You could even begin by telling a short story before you perform any magic (not sure how much time you have). Something like; "Growing up I was inspired by magic and the magicians I watched on television. Before that, the birth of modern magic was created by the likes of Houdini, Cardini, Blackstone and others too various to name them all. It is because of these pioneers that I am standing here doing what I love. For a child, magic is the breathtaking journey into a fantasy world where anything is possible. I'm inviting you to take that journey with me this evening as I pay homage to those that came before me." The music begins to play, and you begin your routine. Start slow and progressively get more dramatic with more impressive/impossible effects until it culminates in something grand at the end. Make sure you remain silent through the entire performance and allow the magic and the music to narrate the "journey."

In a performance like this, almost every aspect of what you do, can be an effect. For example, perhaps you set up an end table sized table and begin setting the mood of a classical performance. You could do an appearing candle effect, place the candle in a holder on the table, light it, an appearing silk that can be used to dust the table lightly, removing a deck of cards from your pocket methodically and basically make a magic performance out of setting up your performance. Then move into your effects (cards/whatever).

An effect that has nothing to do with cards but can be drawn out to be a classy performance all by itself (and still use all of the above) is a Zombie Ball routine.

Some examples of music that would fit a routine like these:

Hope this helps

Reactions: Lincoln_Sengxay
Aug 15, 2017
You mentioned Erdnase, so obviously you're into cards. The question is however, these talent shows...are they close up or on a stage? This would depend on the type of effects you could pull off. Keep in mind however, that the allure to magic is not just "the tricks." It's the performance. Magic is art, it's theater, it's abandonment of the disbelief of the impossible for a short period of time. The best performances I have ever seen were performances in which even though the effect was so simple, the performance grabbed me and made me emotionally invested and I couldn't help but say "Wow...that was beautiful." Those performances grab the majority of your senses. They combine performance art, with magic, music and visual.

If everyone is used to you doing cards, and cards are your thing, maybe consider adding some stage friendly aspects to some card effects. For example, combining Toxic with cards (maybe as a closer) might be a nice touch. I actually described an effect in my book, called "Impossible Prediction," that combines a calculator, a little bit of mentalism and a card prediction that leaves your audience absolutely sure that there was no way you could have known any of it in advance.

You could also give a nod to the classic magicians that came before you by starting with a classy old school routine (tux/tails, some classical effects), with some classy/haunting music in the background. You could even begin by telling a short story before you perform any magic (not sure how much time you have). Something like; "Growing up I was inspired by magic and the magicians I watched on television. Before that, the birth of modern magic was created by the likes of Houdini, Cardini, Blackstone and others too various to name them all. It is because of these pioneers that I am standing here doing what I love. For a child, magic is the breathtaking journey into a fantasy world where anything is possible. I'm inviting you to take that journey with me this evening as I pay homage to those that came before me." The music begins to play, and you begin your routine. Start slow and progressively get more dramatic with more impressive/impossible effects until it culminates in something grand at the end. Make sure you remain silent through the entire performance and allow the magic and the music to narrate the "journey."

In a performance like this, almost every aspect of what you do, can be an effect. For example, perhaps you set up an end table sized table and begin setting the mood of a classical performance. You could do an appearing candle effect, place the candle in a holder on the table, light it, an appearing silk that can be used to dust the table lightly, removing a deck of cards from your pocket methodically and basically make a magic performance out of setting up your performance. Then move into your effects (cards/whatever).

An effect that has nothing to do with cards but can be drawn out to be a classy performance all by itself (and still use all of the above) is a Zombie Ball routine.

Some examples of music that would fit a routine like these:

Hope this helps
You,sir, a lot of times in your posts and your deductions...make me believe you can be a great detective.

Aug 15, 2017
Hey guys!!! I'm just your average 16 year old that is enamored by magic; and now I've been learning magic for a little over 3 years, and most of my school knows of me. I'm currently in my Junior year, and my previous Sophomore and Freshman year I have entered my school's talent show and won both years, so now I have a reputation to keep. BUT, here's the big butt, life has been busy and I don't have much time to research new methods/tricks/theories/ideas. I rarely have time to read any of Erdnase's books. So, I am hoping that this great community can bless me with some advice, or tricks, that I can easily research myself and build my routine for my school's talent show. Thank you for taking your time to read this, and if you do respond...thank you again. :)
I don't consider myself to have a real vast knowledge about magic, but I did have a performance recently in school as well and it earned seriously GREAT feedback.
Am sure you can imagine that.
What I would like to sugggest is kinda a mix of the suggestions I got from this very community and a little of my own, but b4 that I should warn you that I will say NO SPECIFIC EFFECTS!
Because I may say something you may not like, may not meet your requirements, so no point there for me atleast. There are better guys to comment on that here.

But I feel Mentalism is your safest bet. Even if it involves cards.
Also, do try and involve many people, but do not sacrifice the impact at any cost. The impact must hit 1000 people like it will hit 1 person. The effect should not become too dispersed.
Try to make ALMOST everything, if not everything...visible.
Do you have a need to impress anyone, lime maybe the teachers or the principal? Ask them to volunteer.
Be gutsy and invade personal space IN A POLITE MANNER!!!
Like you can hold a teacher's hands the same way you would hold a friend's pretending to get 'extra-sensory vibrations' because people LOVE gutsy performers.
This last point I feel is a powerful one, but be careful. You can easily come off as creepy.
Finally, do what you are comfortable with. I assume you already have experience performing in such an environment, so YOU know better about what to do than me or anyone else, because we don't know your character. So do whatever connects to you. Believe in yourself.
Best of Luck and hope you win this show as well!

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Totally agree with what Lord Magic has said here. Gutsy (within taste) will definitely sell any performance you do. “Gutsy” can be almost anything. It can be, as Lord Magic described, politely invading personal space. It can be switching your style to something no one would ever suspect. It’s about comfortably stepping outside of any creative box your audience may feel that you’re in.

For example, my suggestions are based on the assumption that as a 16 year old, you likely have more of a street style (something like Blaine or Dynamo, etc). Obviously I could be wrong, since I don’t know you. However, based on that assumption, I went with an approach that adds style, class, and a little out of the ordinary than people would expect. Basically it shows a bit of diversity. I could definitely be way way off as to how comfortable you’d be with that type of performance as well. The last thing you’d want to do is be uncomfortable during a performance.

I almost always see things like this as an opportunity to do something different than what people are used to.

The point, in general, is to be gutsy, switch it up and do something memorable.

May 2, 2016
Totally agree with what Lord Magic has said here. Gutsy (within taste) will definitely sell any performance you do. “Gutsy” can be almost anything. It can be, as Lord Magic described, politely invading personal space. It can be switching your style to something no one would ever suspect. It’s about comfortably stepping outside of any creative box your audience may feel that you’re in.

For example, my suggestions are based on the assumption that as a 16 year old, you likely have more of a street style (something like Blaine or Dynamo, etc). Obviously I could be wrong, since I don’t know you. However, based on that assumption, I went with an approach that adds style, class, and a little out of the ordinary than people would expect. Basically it shows a bit of diversity. I could definitely be way way off as to how comfortable you’d be with that type of performance as well. The last thing you’d want to do is be uncomfortable during a performance.

I almost always see things like this as an opportunity to do something different than what people are used to.

The point, in general, is to be gutsy, switch it up and do something memorable.

First, thank you for taking your time to reply. Also, you are correct with my style being more related to street magic, such as Blaine and Dynamo as they are the reason/inspiration for getting me involved into magic. I will most definitely take every ounce of advice you gave me when coming up with a routine, and I am interested in this book of yours, so I will have to look into it when I have time. And to answer your previous question, the talent show is a bit awkward since it is held in a gym, and the audience is on all sides of me. So, to imagine that, it is similar to performing in the middle of a basketball court, and my performance is projected onto a screen from a live video camera

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results