Learning different things with the pass?

Aug 15, 2017
Well, there seems to be a good general rule, do not try to learn too many things at once. Too many flourishes, too many sleights. But that pass is a life-long endeavor for perfection, right? So I guess I can learn other things?
I can do the pass okay, I mean got used to the motion and developed good muscle memory AND did not tire myself out, thanks to a timely suggestion from Cristopher! Only hiding the motion REALLY well is left out.
The real question is, can I learn other passes while doing so?
Brick pass, spread pass etc?
Or should I just practice my classic pass and other sleights and only after perfecting the classic pass move over to any other pass?

Should I avoid learning similar, maybe one-hand flourishes...since my newly-created muscle memory for the pass may mess up?

Or am I too worried for nothing and practising anything is game as long as I do not forget to practice my classic pass and keep trying to perfect it?

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
One of the hardest things I did as far as practicing passes over the years was practicing the herman pass and the classic pass at the same time. I found the Herman pass easier but it made the previously practiced classic pass more cumbersome for me. Likely because it's essentially the same move...in reverse. It really depends on you however. Practicing anything is game, as you mentioned. As long as...if you feel you're beginning to mess up another sleight because of a new one...stop and go back if you need to.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Personal opinion: Learn the classic pass to executable skill, as in to the level where it can fly in performance, first.

Add covering actions after you already have the classic pass down.

Otherwise you will use the covering actions to make up for poor technique.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Or am I too worried for nothing and practising anything is game as long as I do not forget to practice my classic pass and keep trying to perfect it?

Mostly this. You can always do whatever you want.

I don't find my muscle memory gets confused. I have to remind myself which version I'm working on sometimes, but it's not really a problem. I have a couple of things I can work on as a break from my main practice item. Though if you've got a pass you are working why not start on your Zarrow shuffle or culling (or whatever) as your next project?

But whatever method keeps you happy and interested is best. Though I definitely agree with the 'don't forget to practice your main item' part.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
What these guys said & this:
The Pass does not need to be practiced constantly. It needs to be practiced a lot and consistently, but not all the time. As we have said before, most of it comes from performing it, not from just doing the move.

10 minutes of In Performance Pass Work will get you more than 10 hours of standing in front of a mirror and doing it.

So practice other stiff too.

Oct 15, 2017
One good tip on the pass is I hold the deck up and let the spectator point to the card they want and as I bring the deck down to square I pass their selection to the top. With practice this will make the pass totally invisible.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
One good tip on the pass is I hold the deck up and let the spectator point to the card they want and as I bring the deck down to square I pass their selection to the top. With practice this will make the pass totally invisible.
Yeah, doing the pass as you shift the frame covers it up quite nicely

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results