Loops Advice

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
So I have been doing some basic magic for about a year now just for fun to do around friends and family. I started using Yigal's Loops for a few tricks. The reaction it gets from people is always awesome.
The last two times I have used them to perform a haunted deck trick and usually a friend of a friend or someone I am not super close with who is really trying to figure everything out or call me out on something has just reached out and tried to touch the cards or me to see what was the trick behind everything. I have been lucky enough to make sure no one figured out the gimmick but was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if so what you did to make sure it doesn't keep happening in a natural way. Thanks

GavHern

Elite Member
Nov 24, 2015
California, USA
gavhern.com
I don't fully understand your struggle but If it is trying to make it more believable than I suggest just playing around with loops more because you can get some good distance with them once you get good at using them.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It's not about distance. Basically as soon as they see the cards move without me touching them they are taking a swipe to see if there is a string or something connected.
was just wondering if someone had dealt with that and a natural way to get people to not do it without saying "don't do that."

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It's not about distance. Basically as soon as they see the cards move without me touching them they are taking a swipe to see if there is a string or something connected.
was just wondering if someone had dealt with that and a natural way to get people to not do it without saying "don't do that."
Take a couple steps back, So they have to actively move to do it. And place it on the ground, just to give more distance.

Jun 9, 2008
Learning audience management is a big part of magic. And learning what tricks are right for what spectators. Try anything to keep their hands busy. Maybe frame it so there is a story behind it. Here’s a simple idea. Get a normal skeleton key and tie a black ribbon it. Say it came from a haunted house ect. Have them hold the key between their hands flat and concentrate. Move to the ground but keep instructing them as you are doing the effect. Don’t let their mind wander too much. Hope this helps.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
These are both great suggestions! Thank you very much!
I really like the skeleton key idea actually.

I had stopped wanting to do anything with loops because of it. Just have to be aware of how people are responding and acting.
Thanks again

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results