Easy First Impression Tricks

Sep 23, 2017
USA
I was wondering if you guys had any easy tricks in mind that are good for a first trick to perform to someone. Perhaps in a casual setting, without a table. I like tricks that are easily deceptive and have kicker endings. If you have any in mind that would be great!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Pretty much anything in the Royal Road, not including the Pass and the Palm (though you can use any other control instead of the pass).

However, I think you should be more specific as to what you are looking for.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
It's about as simple as it gets and as easy as it gets, but it ALWAYS works and ALWAYS gets a great reaction. It's just a simple card change in the spectator's hands. Very very little sleight of hand, and you'll be focusing more on the spectator out of the gate as it is almost entirely just presentation. It's my go-to and never fails!

Reactions: Derek Humberson
Jan 14, 2017
I think pulling out a deck of cards sets up a certain 'expectation' (in some situations it is a negative vibe) so I like to introduce the idea of performing magic in a subtle way. With a simple coin vanish/transposition or a direct mentalism effect - presented more as a Psychological Experiment.
If, however, there is already a deck of cards 'in play' (or the situation includes an expectation you will perform - with cards) I like to begin with a fast- and-simple "You Do As I Do".

Reactions: MagicMeddler
Aug 15, 2017
Two Card Monte, Ambitious Card (with the card to mouth ending), and Biddle Trick all are classics that come to mind.
Cool suggestions, but what is the Biddle trick? Can you link me to a performance?
Because I have a feeling that it is one of those amazing quickies with cards you can do without "Pick a card, any card..."

Aug 15, 2017
I was wondering if you guys had any easy tricks in mind that are good for a first trick to perform to someone. Perhaps in a casual setting, without a table. I like tricks that are easily deceptive and have kicker endings. If you have any in mind that would be great!
first trick?

I would go with a simple 4-aces production? There are many ways to do that and it keeps getting better and better, but I like the added flair with Chris Ramsay's version, on his channel so you can check that out...it's fairly easy (a little knacky).

There's one where you show the spectator 4 cards (SAY 4 aces) and maybe give them 2 red aces and keep the black ones. But with a snap of your fingers, you have the red aces, they have the black ones. A suave trick...on scamschool am sure.
And you can really have fun with that idea.

A classic twisting aces ? Maybe with a twist? 52 kards has an amazing version that will require a lot of practice to do well, but all good stuff requires practice, am sure you won't shy away from hardwork! There they show 4 kings and everytime even tho 2 of them are placed facing the other way in that 4 card packet, with just a twist all 4 kings face the same way. And you go on to do the same 2 MORE times till the fourth phase, where all 4 cards have, in your hands, transformed into 4 aces!

RRTCM has great ideas.
You know the one classic where you have 3 queens, you shake them and they become 3 jacks and you shake them again to have 1 queen and 1 jack to have the chosen card in between? I do the same with the joker.

This last one I won't recommend for an opener, I feel it has an 'end of show, bye-bye' feeling to it. Do it when you want to do just ONE quick effect.

Reactions: MagicMeddler

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
I've got a guest spot on stage in a burlesque show. Most of my set is geek magic but I wanted something silly to open with to show that I'm a bit silly... I'm taking a cheap lighter... Flicking it on, transferring the flame to my other hand and flicking it back on the lighter. :p

It sets the bar really low so the rest of my stuff looks great haha.. then some balloon swallowing, staple gun roulette and a bullet catch to finish up.

Sep 23, 2017
USA
Thanks for all of your advice! I took note of some of the tricks you guys said, and thanks for weighing in on what type of trick. It makes sense not to start out with a card trick but rather with other objects. Thanks so much!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results