Help with Upcoming Performance

Jun 21, 2017
Hi guys,

I've been into card magic for a little more than a year now. I'm kinda shy so I've only performed for my close friends and family so far.
My university has its welcome party in a month's time. This time around I took the decision to perform and auditioned for it.
The judges were pretty impressed by what I showed them but I want to add here that I didn't give them a proper 'performance' but just did a couple of interactive tricks to demonstrate my skill.
Now there's a month till the party and I've never performed in front of such a large crowd before so I want to be as well prepared as possible. Can you guys give me some tips on confidence building, performance and presentation or anything else?
Also from a technical perspective, card magic isn't really that visual. One of the judges suggested that I move around from table to table but another thought it would be too 'random'. They said it might be possible to have a camera and large screen to be arranged on the stage so everyone can see but that's not confirmed yet. I could also just focus on the chief guests and everyone else could just kinda crowd around.
I apologise for the long post but I would be really grateful if you guys could help me out.

Jan 14, 2017
...give me some tips on confidence building, performance and presentation
There is NO SUBSTITUTE for practice. I don't mean simply what you do in front of a mirror. But Practical Experience; actual PERFORMING.
Take every opportunity, from this moment forward, to perform; at the bus stop, in the Starbucks line, everyone you meet. Of course, don't force yourself on people - be pleasant and polite - but find/discover/create any opportunity to entertain and amaze.

Best of luck!!

Jun 21, 2017
There is NO SUBSTITUTE for practice. I don't mean simply what you do in front of a mirror. But Practical Experience; actual PERFORMING.
Take every opportunity, from this moment forward, to perform; at the bus stop, in the Starbucks line, everyone you meet. Of course, don't force yourself on people - be pleasant and polite - but find/discover/create any opportunity to entertain and amaze.

Best of luck!!
Thank you so much! I shall do that

Jul 15, 2017
You have a month, I would take the time and learn a good mentalism routine. There are plenty of books and downloads for some amazing things and if you really give the performance of it it's due diligence and rehearse and practice it, mentalism plays really really well to bigger crowds.

Jun 21, 2017
I got done with my performance and I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice.

It went pretty well, not perfect but nothing went wrong. And I'm just glad for that XD

Near the end of the show as I built up more confidence, I really started to enjoy myself. Since I'm usually a shy/ reserved person, I never expected I could actually enjoy on stage so that felt really great.

After the show a lot of people praised my performance and asked me to show them more tricks.

All this really motivated me to practice more.

Thanks a lot everyone who encouraged me and gave me suggestions.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results