Best wrong explanation you've heard?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I think I made this thread previously like a year ago but I wanted to ask, what's the funniest or most interesting incorrect explanation you've heard. Here are some of mine:

-Subliminal suggestion
-Heat reactive ink for color changes.
-Magnets(somehow) for my ACR
-My sleeves even though I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt
-And my personal favorite, A robotic, voice activated arm to flip over the selected card in the deck (invisible deck)

And the ever so common "I know how you did it! You used sleight of hand!" and people yelling "I saw that!" when no sleight was used, which aren't real explanations.

Anyway, what are yours?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
With this video, someone thought my budy climbed into rafters. Yeah, I don't think he could touch the ceiling if he jumped.

There was also the theory that he walked out the door you can see in frame. This is actually just a spare door that is leaning up against the wall haha.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD__zfzJFax/

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
"That one was easy to figure out. You spread the cards on the table and one card was exposed a little more than the other so I would pick it. I just played along and picked it." I was using a force deck.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Aug 6, 2017
The only one I have gotten so far (I have only been performing for 2 months was once someone said you used a deck of the same card right after I showed them it was different then I let them see the deck right away. It was a normal deck. Not the best incorrect answer to some of you guys but so far my best. I also had this kid say that's a lot of mad sleight of hand. They say he said it and using the word mad was funny. To me at least...

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
"That one was easy to figure out. You spread the cards on the table and one card was exposed a little more than the other so I would pick it. I just played along and picked it." I was using a force deck.

I've had that, "Well that one looked different so I chose it". It makes you want to do it again haha

I produced smoke from my mouth before and some guy was like "Man, all you're doing is taking smoke from your lungs from when you smoke cigarettes and pushing it out."

I don't smoke.

And he, who does smoke, was like "I can do it too." He then tries to do it and blows air. "See! Did you see that! I did it too." But....nothing came out of his mouth.

Now I wish I had THAT kind of suggestive power on my audience.

Reactions: Stu-pendous
Aug 6, 2017
I produced smoke from my mouth before and some guy was like "Man, all you're doing is taking smoke from your lungs from when you smoke cigarettes and pushing it out."

I don't smoke.

And he, who does smoke, was like "I can do it too." He then tries to do it and blows air. "See! Did you see that! I did it too." But....nothing came out of his mouth.

Now I wish I had THAT kind of suggestive power on my audience.
Omg. I love that! (not making fun of that guy) Just find that interesting.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Are force decks good? People tend think I'm using a force deck all the time. Their first explanation is always that I switched the deck for one that's all one card.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Are force decks good? People tend think I'm using a force deck all the time. Their first explanation is always that I switched the deck for one that's all one card.

Actually, in the effect I described above, I switched out the force deck for a regular deck as they were looking at their card. I use it in that effect because I like having the card picked from a tabled spread. I don't use them that often because I can do a pretty good classic force. Oh, and force decks are great magician foolers because most magicians think they are too basic. Try using one with a magic friend to demonstrate your really invisible pass (you won't even see me do the move) or to do an amazing ACR.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Actually, in the effect I described above, I switched out the force deck for a regular deck as they were looking at their card. I use it in that effect because I like having the card picked from a tabled spread. I don't use them that often because I can do a pretty good classic force. Oh, and force decks are great magician foolers because most magicians think they are too basic. Try using one with a magic friend to demonstrate your really invisible pass (you won't even see me do the move) or to do an amazing ACR.
That's actually a very good point lol

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

Force decks are great but you have to use them wisely :) There are various ways to show that the deck is mixed, David mentioned a switch. There are a few subtleties you can do, then there are decks like the Svengali and Pop Eyed Popper that are basically modified forcing decks.

They fool magicians during an ambitious card but they won't fool lay people. In fact, in Royal Road when they teach the ambitious card, they state that the effect is to make it look like every card in the deck is the same. We now say that the effect is that the card comes to the top but it hasn't always been that way. It's probably best that there is a difference between the method and effect in the ambitious card.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Force decks are great but you have to use them wisely :) There are various ways to show that the deck is mixed, David mentioned a switch. There are a few subtleties you can do, then there are decks like the Svengali and Pop Eyed Popper that are basically modified forcing decks.

They fool magicians during an ambitious card but they won't fool lay people. In fact, in Royal Road when they teach the ambitious card, they state that the effect is to make it look like every card in the deck is the same. We now say that the effect is that the card comes to the top but it hasn't always been that way. It's probably best that there is a difference between the method and effect in the ambitious card.
It's kinda funny that the methods a lot of laypeople will propose (like a deck composed of one card) are the methods that would probably fool a magician.

Also, I think I remember that part of Royal Road. It's funny that almost no one does it that way. It's always the card jumping to the top. Maybe it's because we really don't want our audience to think we are using a trick deck when we aren't. Speaking of that, almost no one thinks the Invisible Deck uses a trick deck but they almost always think that any sort of card prediction (using a force) or an ACR do.

Anyway, thank you for reminding me of that part of Royal Road. I might have to try out the presentation of the ACR to be the "entire deck is their card" trick. See what kind of reaction it gets compared to an ACR.

Sep 1, 2017
Honestly in the year I've been preforming magic, I haven't gotten all that crazy of a theory yet. However just recently I had a skeptic.

So I took out a completely new deck, seal intact and with the cellophane still around it. I opened it in front of her and even said she could shuffle it if she desired. And kid you not, while staring at me the entire time she took the deck, picked up the front of the deck as if to do a strange over hand shuffle, and put it right back in the same place.

Then handed it back to me. Before I did ANYTHING, she accused me of having extra cards in the deck.

I figured I might as well share. ♤

Aug 15, 2017
I think I made this thread previously like a year ago but I wanted to ask, what's the funniest or most interesting incorrect explanation you've heard. Here are some of mine:

-Subliminal suggestion
-Heat reactive ink for color changes.
-Magnets(somehow) for my ACR
-My sleeves even though I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt
-And my personal favorite, A robotic, voice activated arm to flip over the selected card in the deck (invisible deck)

And the ever so common "I know how you did it! You used sleight of hand!" and people yelling "I saw that!" when no sleight was used, which aren't real explanations.

Anyway, what are yours?
So I did a book test this September on the stage and had a blast.
It was a very simple one, both in method and effect. Nothing too complicated.

And on the final day, after I had performed and had gone back stage, everyone was like 'How did you do that?' one person was completely awed but said
"I think I know how you did that."
And I was like, okay, let's see what she's got...
And she hit me up with this,
"You know how when we see T.V. or a very bright picture for a long time and turn away to see dancing spots of colour in front of our eyes? I think when the volunteer looked at the word on the page for too long and then looked up and you looked at her eyes, you saw those dancing spots of colour she was probably experiencing (because she had stared at the word for too long). And then you constructed those dancing spots of colours to get the word she was thinking of."

So basically she was talking about me seeing an after-image of something SOMEONE ELSE has seen.
And to her I told, "Wow...you are really smart! It will be difficult to fool you."
And mentally I was like,
Clap. Clap. Clap.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
So I did a book test this September on the stage and had a blast.
It was a very simple one, both in method and effect. Nothing too complicated.

And on the final day, after I had performed and had gone back stage, everyone was like 'How did you do that?' one person was completely awed but said
"I think I know how you did that."
And I was like, okay, let's see what she's got...
And she hit me up with this,
"You know how when we see T.V. or a very bright picture for a long time and turn away to see dancing spots of colour in front of our eyes? I think when the volunteer looked at the word on the page for too long and then looked up and you looked at her eyes, you saw those dancing spots of colour she was probably experiencing (because she had stared at the word for too long). And then you constructed those dancing spots of colours to get the word she was thinking of."

So basically she was talking about me seeing an after-image of something SOMEONE ELSE has seen.
And to her I told, "Wow...you are really smart! It will be difficult to fool you."
And mentally I was like,
Clap. Clap. Clap.
I mean. Is that not actually how you did it? That the method I’ve always used for book tests...

Reactions: Lord Magic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results