Cardini change:- I question its efficiency!

Aug 15, 2017
Well, I haven't learnt the Cardini colour change yet, but I would love to do so if itnis really great and lends itself to a practical close-up magic situation.
Mark the previous 5 words.
Because I don't really wanna learn something to amaze a camera.
So my question is, is the cardini change as great as it looks on videos for real eyes?
Of course, I mean after the practice the move requires and deserves, will it be possible to perform it in a close-up performance?

Also, will it be too angly? I don't mind angle-sensitive stuff, but it should be more practical than angle-sensitive.
Like, you know, the classic pass. It needs to be performed at a certain angle for it to pass unnoticed even when people are burning your hands down. However, one can easily accomodate 7-8 people in that 'perfect angle' for the classic pass to go unnoticed.
So even if the cardini is angly, it should be possible to have quite a few people in the area from where Cardini looks amazing. It should not be like the move looks great from my view-point only.

So...
Does the cardini lend itself to those conditions and I can rest assured and learn this colour change as it looks AMAZING on camera.
Or is it not actually meant for real eyes?
And even if it is meant for real eyes, how angly is it?

Thank you! :)

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
On the classic pass, and really any sleight that you want to go completely unnoticed, it should always be done on an off beat when you're relaxed and no one feels like looking at your hands.

When it comes to the Cardini Change, it is pretty angle sensitive. With practice, an understanding of your angles, and some audience management, it's very visual, but because of the angle requirements, it's not my go-to color change in most conditions, personally. But it's really fun to learn, so if you're interested I'd go for it. It's the only way you'll be able to tell if it'll work for you.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The Cardin I change is better with angles than the snap change, it's a bit harder to perfect though. Mine is smooth and works in the real world but I don't use it in the real world all too often. Cardini invented it at a time when there wasn't ready access to cameras, he created it for live audiences. It is a tough move though.

Aug 15, 2017
On the classic pass, and really any sleight that you want to go completely unnoticed, it should always be done on an off beat when you're relaxed and no one feels like looking at your hands.

When it comes to the Cardini Change, it is pretty angle sensitive. With practice, an understanding of your angles, and some audience management, it's very visual, but because of the angle requirements, it's not my go-to color change in most conditions, personally. But it's really fun to learn, so if you're interested I'd go for it. It's the only way you'll be able to tell if it'll work for you.
Most sleights need to be done in an off-beat moment sure.
But don't colour changes defy that law? Because if you do it in an off-beat moment, people may not get the magic or think you are just 'fast with hands' (that's what the things is actually, but still, bear with me!).
So then?

Aug 15, 2017
So do I understand correctly that I should go ahead and learn and perfect it AND REST ASSURED THAT I WON'T NEED TO BANK ON A CAMERA LENS TO MAKE THIS COLOUR CHANGE LOOK GOOD?

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Most sleights need to be done in an off-beat moment sure.
But don't colour changes defy that law? Because if you do it in an off-beat moment, people may not get the magic or think you are just 'fast with hands' (that's what the things is actually, but still, bear with me!).
So then?
Yep, color changes are an exception, I was referring to your comment about the classic pass there.
So do I understand correctly that I should go ahead and learn and perfect it AND REST ASSURED THAT I WON'T NEED TO BANK ON A CAMERA LENS TO MAKE THIS COLOUR CHANGE LOOK GOOD?
I'd recommend learning it. As Josh pointed out, it was designed to be used in the real world. And even if you don't end up using it often, learning it will stretch and improve your sleight of hand. Mastering different moves with a deck makes it increasingly easier to pick up new sleights in the future.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
The Cardin I change is better with angles than the snap change, it's a bit harder to perfect though. Mine is smooth and works in the real world but I don't use it in the real world all too often. Cardini invented it at a time when there wasn't ready access to cameras, he created it for live audiences. It is a tough move though.
I'm dying to know what color change you do use in the real world!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results