Book suggestions

Sep 14, 2017
Im quite experienced at magic, i would say im probably around an intermediate level of magic although I literally have no magic book and have never read any but Christmas is just around the corner, i was looking for some books that have tips for performing such as walk around and close up and also tips for presentations. Also i would like a book that is good for close up card magic and coin magic and also a book that maybe has audience management such as how to approach them and tips for that, please leave any suggestions as it would really help me out and I appreciate you alot...thanks

If you feel that you are at an intermediate level, I would recommend the Tarbell Course in Magic book set. A lot of outdated stuff but yet a lot of great routines that I even have planned for future shows such as this amazing transpo I learned from Tarbell.

I recommend The Approach by Jamie D. Grant. It's $75 but will teach you how to routine, practice, plan a set, approach people, land a gig, etc.

For card magic I recommend The Art of Astonishment Volumes 1-3. It's not all card magic but there is a lot of card magic in there. For coin magic I recommend David Roth's Expert Magic by Richard Kaufman.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Need more info.

Give me a sense of your age - Middle School, High School, College, etc.

How long have you been doing magic?

Name some effects you like to perform.

Name some DVDs and downloads you have.

Name some moves you know that make you intermeddiate.

Where do you intend to perform?

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Sep 14, 2017
Need more info.

Give me a sense of your age - Middle School, High School, College, etc.

How long have you been doing magic?

Name some effects you like to perform.

Name some DVDs and downloads you have.

Name some moves you know that make you intermeddiate.

Where do you intend to perform?
Im 16 and im in college , i have been doing magic for 4 years, I perform the alternate sandwich trick where you rip the card in 4 then it restores, omni deck, torn and restored corner, i use daniel madisons advocate with my own variation of it and angle z. i would say im probably beginer in magic i perform justin millers factory sealed coin in bottle but i use a variation of it where it looks like their signed coin is in the bottle, and also bison bend 2 by branden wolf. i don't perform alot like everyday probably once a week. I have magic stream there is some good things on that such as advocate, factory sealed and bison bend and interviews, i dont have any books but i have sansminds patrified by patrick kun, sansminds chocolate coin, sansminds pop change, mickael chatelin pen and pencil, sansminds pocket sharpie, black box illusions levitation kit and deja vu kit ( its old ) and sansminds workers. Alot of the stuff on dvds i barely use tho. I dont really know many intermediate moves, i dont know what you would class as it i can do the pass herman pass etc and pinky count double lift. I dont really practice crazy sleights unless its necessary in the trick, i use misderiction for when im doing a pass or need to do a move or get them to sign a card when deck switching or something. i intend to perform walkaround and table hopping if i get gigs and maybe eventually busking

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm going to agree a bit and disagree a bit with @TylerScottIllusionist.

I'd go with the first two books in the Card College Series, the first Art of Astonishment book and Expert Coin Magic. While you are at it, pick up Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

I wouldn't recommend Tarbell. Not for doing mostly close-up. I also wouldn't recommend The Approach unless you are looking to start performing for money.

Sep 14, 2017
I'm going to agree a bit and disagree a bit with @TylerScottIllusionist.

I'd go with the first two books in the Card College Series, the first Art of Astonishment book and Expert Coin Magic. While you are at it, pick up Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

I wouldn't recommend Tarbell. Not for doing mostly close-up. I also wouldn't recommend The Approach unless you are looking to start performing for money.
Would you suggest the approach it if i were to perform in a resturant or in pubs?

Would you suggest the approach it if i were to perform in a resturant or in pubs?
Yes if you can afford it. It's a bit pricey being $75 (I was lucky enough to pick it up for $30 at a magic convention). If you are going to focus solely on restaurants and pubs and don't want to cough up $75 I recommend the Restaurant Worker's Handbook by Jim Pace.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9959

Feb 16, 2015
If you feel that you are at an intermediate level, I would recommend the Tarbell Course in Magic book set. A lot of outdated stuff but yet a lot of great routines that I even have planned for future shows such as this amazing transpo I learned from Tarbell.

I recommend The Approach by Jamie D. Grant. It's $75 but will teach you how to routine, practice, plan a set, approach people, land a gig, etc.

For card magic I recommend The Art of Astonishment Volumes 1-3. It's not all card magic but there is a lot of card magic in there. For coin magic I recommend David Roth's Expert Magic by Richard Kaufman.

Good solid advice man

Nov 8, 2017
I am a total newbie to sleight of hand. I have found Royal Road to be accessible enough that I can work through it (slowly) and still feel like I am increasing in skill everyday. I highly recommend it. I am planning to acquire volumes 1-5 of Card College sometime after the holidays. Best of luck.

Reactions: KingLouis
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results