Trouble with the break

Oct 23, 2014
I'm trying to brush up on my sleights and some effects I used to be ok with, and I'm resurrecting a long-standing struggle with the pinky break. I'm finding that even after the deck has been squared, even with my hand fairly relaxed and the break uncomfortably small, I get a distinct line between the two packets. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like the deck has clumped together such that you can see it's divided.

Trying to get my point across without being too explicit. Anyway, how do you keep this from happening?

Aug 15, 2017
I'm trying to brush up on my sleights and some effects I used to be ok with, and I'm resurrecting a long-standing struggle with the pinky break. I'm finding that even after the deck has been squared, even with my hand fairly relaxed and the break uncomfortably small, I get a distinct line between the two packets. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like the deck has clumped together such that you can see it's divided.

Trying to get my point across without being too explicit. Anyway, how do you keep this from happening?
I have experienced this exact 'phenomenon'. Point one, are your cards fairly old? Old cards will always do that!
Point two, the audience never notices it.

Actually, it is okay as long as they don't see the actual break. Because the break will never be the place where the heat is! Your hands just need to look natural.
Half of the assurance a magician gets comes from the fact that the audience does not know what they will do. So even if they see a lime between two halves of your deck, they won't know what to make of it. So they will ignore it and forget about it.
They at that moment, honestly don't care if you have a really lined deck. Unless of course your posture attracts attention to it. In that case, as I said, be natural.
I still think the problem might be old cards, but as said before, you might try and put your pinky a little more back than you do it now.

Reactions: PeterGray

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@kennethcmerrill - Check the position of the right first finger - it should cover any discrepancies and keep the front of the deck mostly squared. Also, make sure that the break is evenly spaced on the back left and back right sides of the deck. As @TylerScottIllusionist said, check your right fourth finger position. Finally, make sure your fourth finger is applying pressure to the bottom portion of the deck, not both the top and bottom portions. And.....RELAX!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Unless you are a perfectionist, the deck will rarely be 100% square using a break. As long as the break itself is not visible, no one will notice. You should also avoid having the deck burned by your opponents while holding a break as well. Breaks that you need to hold for longer periods of time should feel natural and relaxed. Dont make a move out of it. :)

Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for everyone's advice! I've been busy with work, and haven't had a chance to dig into it, but I'm hoping some of these recommendations help. If not, I'll probably PM a few of you.

@kennethcmerrillmake sure that the break is evenly spaced on the back left and back right sides of the deck.

You're saying that the entire back end of the deck (end closest to my body) should be "broken" as it were? I thought in all the materials I had seen that the break is only held at one corner, but maybe I've misunderstood it this entire time?

Jul 17, 2015
what works for me is that i break down the deck of cards. Meaning, i shuffle / spring / dribble the cards for a good 15 mins. Usually when im studying or just watching tv. Doing that "Warms up" the deck of cards and the stock becomes a little softer. Which i find easier to deal with in regards to doing sleights and techniques.

Just my thoughts.... I hope this helps.

Reactions: PeterGray

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You're saying that the entire back end of the deck (end closest to my body) should be "broken" as it were? I thought in all the materials I had seen that the break is only held at one corner, but maybe I've misunderstood it this entire time?

Ignore what I said about the break in the deck being level. For some reason I was thinking Vernon Depth Illusion / Marlo Tilt. Small break, light pressure with 4th finger and light pressure on top of deck with thumb.

Reactions: ArielB.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results