Jobs at Theory11/Ellusionist?

Nov 26, 2017
On one episode of the Theory11 Podcast, Jonathan Bayme said he started working at Ellusionist when he was in 7th grade. I'd like to do that. Any idea what he did, or the process he went through to get that job?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If you want to make magic your vocation you treat it how you would any other job. Study hard, work hard, be ambitious.

Set goals, get an idea of what you want to do. Organize the pathway and do it.

Jonathan Bayme has been described as a prodigy, he was able to prove that he was worthy of taking a chance on at a young age. In most jobs the company needs to see that you are going to add considerable value to the company. If we look at those who have worked for E a little bit more recently we get people like Luke Dancy. Luke has been a prominent figure in the magic community for years. He has consulted with Criss Angel and others. We get Daniel Madison. Madison established himself as a creative force with a distinct style. He established a brand outside of E and it became clear that adding him to the team would bring in a bunch of fans and that he would add creatively. Gerraint Clarke and Lloyd Barnes established themselves as creative forces as well as marketing gurus when they created their own company outside of Ellusionist.

This value is just the value that is obvious to me, I'm sure there were other reasons. Most, if not all of their employees proved their value before they were ever hired. Look for ways that show that you can add value, go to school, and get work experience strategically to set you up for positions like this.

Every once in a while Ellusionist, or Theory 11 will post job openings. If luck will have it and you have prepared yourself then when that time comes you'll be the right fit for the job.

Reactions: ParkinT

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
He's spot on.

I can't speak for any other company but Ellusionist tends to identify a job that needs to be done, and then looks at people they are familiar with to see if that person would like to do the job for them. For me, I posted a lot on the E forums, helping people out. One morning I got a call from Adam asking if I'd like to handle some of their emails, and now I'm the one that handles most of the private-customer service stuff (Jennifer does the wholesale/warehouse stuff). Peter was an award winning photographer and magician when they hired him. Daniel Madison had a rabid fan base and unique style when they hired him. Ramsay was quickly rising through the ranks of social media stardom when they hired him.

I assume companies like Theory11 would do similar, as it makes sense from a business perspective to hire people who are known for doing what you need to have done.

So establish a good reputation and try to develop a relationship with the companies you'd like to work with - but don't be pushy about it. Develop yourself and your 'brand' and just let it be known you're open to the opportunity.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Nov 26, 2017
Thank you so much! Would a job at Theory11 be solely creating magic, or could it be something technical like Casey Rudd and Jonathan Bayme?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The majority of people who work for a magic company, are not creators, in my experience.

It's a business. There's folks to handle the accounting, the marketing, the website, the customer service, the warehouse/inventory, etc.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I would love a job at theory 11. I have over 7 years of magic experience and am currently in university. Magic is a really nice hobby and theory 11 makes the magic community the best!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Thank you so much! Would a job at Theory11 be solely creating magic, or could it be something technical like Casey Rudd and Jonathan Bayme?

JB doesn't just have a technical job, he runs the whole website. He's the CEO.

If you want a job like Jonathan Bayme, then create a hugely successful website, start a business and be a prolific entrepreneur ;)

Nov 26, 2017
JB doesn't just have a technical job, he runs the whole website. He's the CEO.

If you want a job like Jonathan Bayme, then create a hugely successful website, start a business and be a prolific entrepreneur ;)
I understand, but I meant someone who doesn't only create magic.

Nov 26, 2017
I am absolutely obsessed with designing playing cards and have hundreds of ideas written down already. How could I get them to Theory11? Maybe help them produce them?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I am absolutely obsessed with designing playing cards and have hundreds of ideas written down already. How could I get them to Theory11? Maybe help them produce them?

You would want to start making decks or art yourself, create a portfolio and show how your designs are better than what is out there already.

Theory 11 deals with high profile customers. Jimmy Fallon, SNL, NPH, J.J. Abrams etc. These are A-listers. They employ world renowned designers, and A-list artists to create their decks.

If you want to create a deck design for Theory 11 you need to establish yourself as an incredible artist. There are other sites out there that might take user submitted designs. Art of magic, or House of Playing Cards might. If you want to design playing cards for a living though you don't have to do it on Theory11. You can start right now, the USPC makes it fairly easy to design your own cards. You can sell them online or at live events. This is all really difficult but it might be the most direct path to doing this.

I understand, but I meant someone who doesn't only create magic.

If you just want to do a lot in the magic industry learn a lot and become great at one skill. Magic websites need photographers, web designers, accountants, video editors, computer programmers, advertisers, marketing people, magic creators, and performers. Focus on one of those areas, like Christopher already said, if they have an opening they'll post it or contact you directly.

Jonathan Bayme wasn't your average 16 year old. If you are average be honest with yourself and look at how you can become exceptional. Plan and create something that will prove that you are better than everyone out there.

Nov 26, 2017
You would want to start making decks or art yourself, create a portfolio and show how your designs are better than what is out there already.

Theory 11 deals with high profile customers. Jimmy Fallon, SNL, NPH, J.J. Abrams etc. These are A-listers. They employ world renowned designers, and A-list artists to create their decks.

If you want to create a deck design for Theory 11 you need to establish yourself as an incredible artist. There are other sites out there that might take user submitted designs. Art of magic, or House of Playing Cards might. If you want to design playing cards for a living though you don't have to do it on Theory11. You can start right now, the USPC makes it fairly easy to design your own cards. You can sell them online or at live events. This is all really difficult but it might be the most direct path to doing this.

If you just want to do a lot in the magic industry learn a lot and become great at one skill. Magic websites need photographers, web designers, accountants, video editors, computer programmers, advertisers, marketing people, magic creators, and performers. Focus on one of those areas, like Christopher already said, if they have an opening they'll post it or contact you directly.

Jonathan Bayme wasn't your average 16 year old. If you are average be honest with yourself and look at how you can become exceptional. Plan and create something that will prove that you are better than everyone out there.
Thanks, Josh! Great advice. I already have some designs done, just need to get them printed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results