Noise and the Matrix Effect

Nov 30, 2017
Hi all,

I've been practicing a matrix effect and it's getting smoother except for one problem. I can't eliminate the noise coins make when they are dropped. I don't believe I've seen this addressed on magic forums before, so it's probably something simple I'm missing. Can you recommend a good closeup pad to remedy this? Any other tips? Thanks.

Nov 30, 2017
Yes, I've thought about doing the matrix on the floor. That would certainly eliminate much of the noise. My heart is set on doing it on a regular table though. I have a closeup pad that is basically just a mouse pad. It doesn't have any give and it's just a step up from doing the effect on the table surface. Thanks.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I get my close-up pads from pattricksmagic.com. He is a pleasure to work with, will make custom sizes and the pads are high quality and reasonably priced.

Make sure you get plush!

If you search old threads you will find suggestions on how to make your own. I just order from Pattrick.

Make sure you get plush!

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks Sal, I'll check out Atomic Coins.

David, I've heard great things about his pads. I'll give them a closer look. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2016
Matrix is one of the mainstays of my performing repertoire. I have tried out a lot of close up pads in the years I've been performing magic. I have been using these pads for a long time and have had excellent success with them.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8216
They come in black, red or green, and I find them to be just the right size, and reasonably priced. Just my personal preference.

Nov 30, 2017
Hi there Al,

I'll look into these mats. Do they have much give in them, you know for certain coin moves? What version of matrix do you perform?

Jul 26, 2016
MatrixAddict,

Yes the mats have a good amount of give - really good for matrix and other table coin routines and moves. I have come up with my own routine, but it is based on the original Al Schneider routine using 4 playing cards and 4 coins, usually 1964 Kennedy half dollars, sometimes quarters. I magically produce the 4 coins in the beginning because I prefer that to just pulling out some coins from my pocket or a coin purse. I end with the revelation of a jumbo Kennedy half that I had custom made years ago.

I also have a version where i use 4 of my business cards and either 5 quarters or 5 pennies, although the spectator only knows about 4 of the coins. In that case, i end with the production of a jumbo quarter or penny

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I hate to be a stinker here but I believe that the best place to perform the matrix is on the floor. It's the traditional place. Michael Ammar still talks about how his knees hurt from all the times he as performed this for other magicians. I've sen video of Chris Kenner performing on the floor as well. There are mats out there that will work and there are methods that will work is noisy bars but the floor may be the most convenient.

I used to sit down and drape my jacket over my knees. This provides a good soft surface as well.

Historically not all matrix effects were designed for coins. One of the first and most popular was Chink-a-Chink. This was designed to use sugar cubes. You could use small candies, or dice as well and achieve the same effect with a different method without the need for a matt.

Nov 30, 2017
The jacket over the knees comment is very clever, never would have thought of that. Since more than one of you has suggested using the floor as my mat, I'll start practicing there part of the time. Thanks guys.

Apr 26, 2016
I don't know how much help I would be. I'm happy enough with like a deli sandwich wrap to get rid of most of the noise. Like the paper, not the sandwich. If I do use a performing pad, I prefer one of those thick rubber ones that has card table material on it. I made my own once out of some fabric glue, a broken pool table, and black rubber matting. Best one I've ever used.

Nov 30, 2017
Hi King,

The deli paper sounds like a good idea. Regarding the performing pad, I'm still on the search for a good one. I've had two and they are just glorified mouse pads.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results