How far can sleight of hand magic go?

Apr 26, 2016
You're saying that the way to measure the value of a method is how the audience perceives it.
That's not what I'm saying at all! I'm saying that no matter what method is used, the audience only cares about the effect, so method only has value to magicians. Conversely, if a magician did something with the same method, but presented it in different effects, the audience would be entertained, but the magician would not. In this regard, the only way to satisfy both parties is to use sleight. If I just used a gimmick deck for three hours, sure I could entertain spectators, but I would be bored out of my mind.
I think in your perspective, you're looking at it only from the spectators eyes. In mine, I'm looking at both sides. Granted, the audiences view takes precedence, but you can't discount the performer. If I wasn't interested or engaged in my performances, how can I be expected to truly convey an equal sense of wonder in my audience?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ok. In that case, you're assuming that everyone thinks the same way you do.

My goal in every performance, is to create an experience for the audience. If I create that experience, I am satisfied with my work, regardless of how I achieved it. That's my job.

I'm not hired to feel good about how clever or skilled I am. I am hired to give the audience a unique experience and make them feel good, as well as making the booking agent look good for hiring me. How I achieve that result is a means to an ends. I will use sleight of hand, gimmicks, story telling, outright lies, and any other method that occurs to me.

That's my opinion, of course, and I wouldn't criticize anyone for their motivation in regards to performance. My objection arises solely from the thought that one genre of method is objectively better than another - that's simply not true.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My enjoyment from performances is more derived from the audience being entertained by the effect rather than me being entertained by the method.

That being said, I tend to enjoy employing clever methods rather than any particular genre of methods. Clever can be a gimmick, sleight or principle or combination. I like effects where I am smiling inside while performing the method.

So, I can understand how some people will like performing using sleight of hand, some might like gimmicks, others might like self working effects and others might like clever methods.

BUT, the method I ultimately use is the one that works best for the spectator's experience.

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
one of the real selling points for Sleight of hand vs Gimmicks, is that with Sleight of hand you can work with pretty much any object, while with gimmicks you will have to purchase or create a gimmick for each one you want to use

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results