Top Palm Issues

F

fmos2

Hi guys,

I've been trying to learn the classic palm from card college 2.

One of the issues I'm encountering is that the top card doesn't seem to sit in the sweet spot for me when I push it down with my pinky to lever it up.

Now when I normally approach the cards to hold them in end grip with my right hand, my wrist is at an angle and so that means my whole hand is not directly over the top of the deck. Should I straighten my wrist to overcome this? Or is this purely a knack thing and I need to experiment with how much the top card needs to be pushed over before I push it down with my pinky?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The wrist angle is more like 20 to 30 degrees rather than 90 degrees. Start with you right first (index) finger along the left outside corner of the deck (with the nail at the bottom of the deck), your second and third fingers with the first phalanx touching the front bottom edge of the deck and you fourth (pinkie) finger ends up contacting the top right corner of the deck. Do the thumb movement only to get the feel of how the card pops/slides into position. Then without moving your thumb, bring your hand into position using the fourth finger to pop/slide the card into position. This exaggerates the amount of movement you need with the thumb and then with the fourth finger. Then, put the moves together and it will seem easy because you will need less movement by the thumb and the fourth finger. It will seem effortless.

Reactions: ZackF
F

fmos2

Thanks for your reply. I just have a query about the following part of your response.
Do the thumb movement only to get the feel of how the card pops/slides into position. Then without moving your thumb, bring your hand into position using the fourth finger to pop/slide the card into position.

Are you saying to initially do a two handed palm where the left thumb pushes the card, and then try a one handed palm where the pinky does both the pushing and the popping of the card?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for your reply. I just have a query about the following part of your response.

Are you saying to initially do a two handed palm where the left thumb pushes the card, and then try a one handed palm where the pinky does both the pushing and the popping of the card?

On page 273, the third paragraph explains (in italics) the movement of the left thumb. The first sentence of the fourth paragraph explains the motion of the right little finger. What I was suggesting was to exaggerate those motions individually and then combine them so that you achieve the apparent motionless movement required for the top palm. Make sure you read the checkpoints on page 275.

F

fmos2

On page 273, the third paragraph explains (in italics) the movement of the left thumb. The first sentence of the fourth paragraph explains the motion of the right little finger. What I was suggesting was to exaggerate those motions individually and then combine them so that you achieve the apparent motionless movement required for the top palm. Make sure you read the checkpoints on page 275.

After reading it again and working on it for a few days, one of the issues I'm having 99% of the time is that as I'm pushing the card up with the pinky, a part of the left side of the card (maybe like one-fifth of the area) always seems to peek out from the left side of the right index finger (this is all from the performers point of view)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Make sure the right side of the card is aligned with the right side of your right hand. If it isn't move your right hand to the left in respect to the deck.

If the card is at the right side of your right hand, then spread your fingers out so that the edges of the card are covered by your hand. The card won't be visible between the gaps in your fingers.

Also, check the position of the card in your hand. You may be able to move it clockwise or counter clockwise to get more coverage.

It hat doesn't work, either post a video or send it to me via PM.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results