Odyssey?

Nov 8, 2017
I am interested in getting into ring magic. How easy is Odyssey to learn? I want to use that as an interim solution until I can get Circuit down. Thanks.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I am interested in getting into ring magic. How easy is Odyssey to learn? I want to use that as an interim solution until I can get Circuit down. Thanks.

Well, the gimmick does a lot of the work for you which is nice. There is some work to be done though to keep everything smooth. Ring magic is highly subjective. Different hands work with different rings and different effects. I think that if you bought Odyssey you'd be happy with your purchase.

Reactions: PeterGray
Aug 8, 2017
Ohio
Just the nature. Covering any angle issues is actually taught very well. The problem lies in the fact that it's just a bit too obvious for most people. It definitely is visually stunning, but I've very rarely been able to get away with it without someone knowing exactly what's going on.

Reactions: RickU
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Just the nature. Covering any angle issues is actually taught very well. The problem lies in the fact that it's just a bit too obvious for most people. It definitely is visually stunning, but I've very rarely been able to get away with it without someone knowing exactly what's going on.
If you pair it with another ring routine and switch out the gimmick for a real one midway through, you can drop it in their hands in the end and they are left dumbfounded.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Is it angle sensitive or just the nature of the gimmick?

Multiple people we work with, including Calen, use this every day without any issue. A lot of this comes down to audience management. Not letting them burn your hand, not giving them reasons to suspect a gimmick, swapping out the gimmick for the real ring so you can hand it out if they question you. Also, the gimmick does have durability concerns. If you don't take care of it, it will stop working as well. We do offer gimmick packs for this trick, so if your gimmick starts looking different than the real ring we provide you can pick up a replacement on the cheap.

// L

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've been doing a bit of ring magic with a non-gimmicked ring that I used to wear. When I bought Odyssey, I also bought Reflex by Patrick Kun which includes a few impromptu tricks you can do with a normal ring. Like Maaz said, I'd start with tricks that can be done without the Odyssey gimmick, let them check that out and stuff, and then at some point in the routine switch it for the "special" Odyssey ring.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I've been doing a bit of ring magic with a non-gimmicked ring that I used to wear. When I bought Odyssey, I also bought Reflex by Patrick Kun which includes a few impromptu tricks you can do with a normal ring. Like Maaz said, I'd start with tricks that can be done without the Odyssey gimmick, let them check that out and stuff, and then at some point in the routine switch it for the "special" Odyssey ring.
Yup. Or, what I do is, I already have the gimmick on, no one suspects anything. I go through 3 or 4 moves in Odyssey. I then switch it out for the regular ring using patter. I then perform parts of reflex and end by dropping the ring in their hand and flipping mine clean. They spend quite a while inspecting the ring, and get more baffled by the second.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Dec 1, 2017
Hey late to the discussion but I have a question. I have read somewhere that when buying Odyssey you should buy 1 size larger than what you usually buy. Any comments about sizing?

Wkirk1467

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey late to the discussion but I have a question. I have read somewhere that when buying Odyssey you should buy 1 size larger than what you usually buy. Any comments about sizing?
I would suggest getting a size that fits over all fingers, including the thumb. I accidentally got a size to big. It makes doing the trick easier but it is too loose to wear everyday. If when measuring the size is in between 2 numbers, round up to the bigger size. Hope this helps.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
No, buy the size that fits your finger,

TXI will send the gimmick one size larger, so that you can perform with it. So buy the size for the ring that it'll be on, because you'll want to be able to wear it, and a ring that doesn't fit would look suspicious, especially since you'll switch the real one back in for inspection.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results