Anybody knows how this trick is called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2017
Ok so I know a guy who is like an expert in magic tricks, and out of all the tricks he showed me, only 1 of them impresses everytime.
It's like a prediction trick, and this is how he does it:
He spreads the deck in front of me, tells me to put my finger on a card, I don't look at it, he doesn't look at it, and he says : ,IF IT IS THE THREE OF HEARTS (or really any other card) THE TRICK WILL NOT WORK" and the card I put my finger on is always the card he names. Everytime. Even after shuffling.
Of course my first thought was that the cards are marked. I didn't find any marks or differences between them.. Maybe I didn't check too good.
Anyways, if this trick has a tutorial, please teach me how!
Thank you!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Exposing how a trick is done is generally frowned upon. Something mostly only new magicians do, before they really learn what they are doing.

There's a lot of ways this could be done, I recommend studying the fundamentals like Royal Road to Card Magic or Card College.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Oct 29, 2017
Norway
or just go to youtube...? and Exposing of tricks is kinda how people Stay interested in magic once they get into it.....

and doesn`t Royal road to card magic...expose tricks?

the Exposure You are talking about however, is Exposing it to laymen that generally aren`t interested in how it is done

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
so..how is that different than exposing the Same technique learned from another source?
writing a book gives you no more right to expose a technique than someone that knows the technique....either trough self-discovery or from learning it from another source

the only difference here is that someone teaches it withouth demanding you pay for it...which is Their right

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
however....YOU are exposing that the techniques are in Royal Road to card magic in this instance...how is that any different?

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
the next issue here is that The "trick" he is explaining is called "the classic force" a.k.a Invisible force and sometimes called Fan Force...RRTCM was printed in 48, while the classic force is Way older than that...hence, THEY don`t own the rights to it and thus THEY are exposing it....but I guess, since it is in a book it must be ok?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
There's several ways this could have been done. Someone who has studied the fundamentals would know that. I've seen it done from a table spread, and I've seen it done with the deck in the volunteer's hands completely.

It's really a matter of investment. Someone who invests in learning the secret will both respect it more, and put more work into learning/perfecting it. Handing someone the secret means they will treat it with as little value as it has been assigned by the person doing the handing.

Give a man a fish/teach a man to fish.

Books are published with a combination of: A) Original material, B) Public domain material used to achieve the original creations, and C) Material for which permission to teach has been attained.

People who teach material that is not public domain, original, or for which they have not attained permission to teach, are exposing magic secrets negatively.

That's the difference between teaching and exposing.

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
I am sorry...I see no point in discussing this any further with you as you clearly don`t understand the difference between techniques and routines, nor do you understand the value of teaching someone techniques...which speaks to a elitist attitude, which is highly poisonous for the magic community as a whole.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's clear you don't know who I am, which is fine, because I'm not terribly well known. Let me introduce myself a bit more here -

I'm a professional magician, hypnotist, and side show artist who makes 100% of his income from the magic world. I have two independently published books on the market, as well as my contributions in at least three compilations. I am a requested speaker and performer at the East Coast Spirit Sessions, and I have consulted with dozens of performers regarding creating acts, routines, and specific tricks.

I know my stuff.

Though you are correct about one thing, continuing a conversation with you is pointless.

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
aha..so you have 2 books written on a subject that is age old...AND you claim it is Yours originally? then you go on rants about exposure...wow

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
do have to ask though...are you this Christopher tisse that you link to in your signature...or are you Christopher Taylor from the East Coast Spirit Sessions

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
oh and may I ask how you obtained the rights to "Vernon's classic Out of Sight, Out of Mind"...since you are so insistant on not revealing stuff you don`t have the rights to....
did you learn it from a book and then decided it was ok for YOU to expose how it is done in a book YOU are selling...and to quote you:

A) Original material, B) Public domain material used to achieve the original creations, and C) Material for which permission to teach has been attained.

People who teach material that is not public domain, original, or for which they have not attained permission to teach, are exposing magic secrets negatively.

from what I can tell, there is nothing original in that book at all...it`s just stuff ripped off and re-printed...

but I guess it ain`t exposing secrets if you get paid for it...right?

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
oh and I realised you are this Christopher tisse/christopher strange fella, my google-fu is just off, for some reason christopher taylor comes up when checking out east coast spirit session.

I do commend you for creating a pamphlet on how to create characters though

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Exposing it to laymen that generally aren`t interested in how it is done

Which is exactly what you did by revealing a magic secret to a person who joined yesterday with one post who came here asking you to tell them the secret of a magic trick that was performed for them. Insomuch as the method (according to you) is simple, the original post should have been a telltale sign that the poster had no experience in magic and was just fishing for a secret.

It's really a matter of investment. Someone who invests in learning the secret will both respect it more, and put more work into learning/perfecting it. Handing someone the secret means they will treat it with as little value as it has been assigned by the person doing the handing.

Give a man a fish/teach a man to fish.

Pure gold.

I am sorry...I see no point in discussing this any further with you as you clearly don`t understand the difference between techniques and routines, nor do you understand the value of teaching someone techniques...which speaks to a elitist attitude, which is highly poisonous for the magic community as a whole.

I would suggest that explaining the method of a trick to someone who had a magician perform it for them is POISONOUS for the magic community.

You should consider that in some circumstances, like this one, the technique is the method. You can look at my posts on the forum and I do help people with techniques - the palm, various forces, counts, etc. I will even work with experienced magicians to determine the techniques they need to use to accomplish a certain effect. However, I never tell people the methods to a magician's effect. It isn't elitist, it is just a measure of respect for other magicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results