Let's talk about the free wheel spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2017
I have respected this website and its founders since I started magic around 9 years ago. I have bought multiple products and been generally pleased with my purchases. I realize that free online prizes are too good to be true and I have not got my hopes up, but to spin 'no reward' 4 times in a row is clearly a cop out. So either make a wheel with more reasonable options or don't even bother because this is basically giving a middle finger to all customers, devoted since day 1, like myself or new ones.

Sincerely,
- Kyle Hawkins

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I have respected this website and its founders since I started magic around 9 years ago. I have bought multiple products and been generally pleased with my purchases. I realize that free online prizes are too good to be true and I have not got my hopes up, but to spin 'no reward' 4 times in a row is clearly a cop out. So either make a wheel with more reasonable options or don't even bother because this is basically giving a middle finger to all customers, devoted since day 1, like myself or new ones.

Sincerely,
- Kyle Hawkins

Hey Kyle,

The wheel does not in ANY WAY differentiate "free spins" from spins acquired from purchase of a product. All spins are created equally, and the system is designed to be as fair (and fun!) as possible. I want to get this out there right up front.

I talk a little about this HERE. There is no cop out here, no cheating, no deception. We are extremely open and honest about how this works. The wheel is not a physical wheel where all spaces have the same odds. For obvious reasons, the "No Reward" space has the highest odds of all of the prizes. I will also tell you that hitting four "No Reward" spaces is quite un-lucky, but statistically speaking with as many people spinning the wheel as we have right now there are going to be multiple who have such bad luck streaks. It is a part of the random system.

Every single prize on the wheel has a preset likelihood of being awarded with every spin. The Grand Prizes, with only one of each available, are set to be VERY rare. We do expect to award them all before the contest ends, but they are going to be hard to get. Other prizes have better odds. Point prizes have even better odds. No Reward has the best odds. These odds are all set, and when you spin you are randomly given a prize based on these odds. Hitting No Reward four times in a row is not at all like spinning the same space on a physical wheel four times in a row. You have much, much higher odds to do that on our wheel since this result is the most common. That said, this does not make this contest at all unfair in any way, shape, or form.

Every single spin has the same odds as every single other spin. Before this contest ends, we will have given away several thousand dollars worth of prizes and millions (maybe more, I haven't done the math!) of Elite Points. We have already awarded nearly TWO MILLION ELITE POINTS. This contest is NOT a charade where nobody wins things. Browse the forums, and you will see winners all over the place talking about their prizes. If you ask other customers, even ones who are frustrated with not winning, I don't think most of them are going to share your feelings of the contest "basically giving a middle finger to all customers." Most will probably tell you how much fun they are having.

I actually show that you have won some points during this contest. I can also see that you had a bad streak. Keep trying! Your bad streak can't last forever. You might not win a grand prize (maybe you will!), but you can have fun with it every single day until the contest ends. Nobody has to spend a penny to win a prize, so come back every day you can and see what you can win (for free!) until the contest ends.

Good luck!

// L

Last edited:

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
if you truly are a customer since 9 yrs, then you should be knowing that this wheel is here since the last 5 or 6 yrs.From all the free spins in these years, you should have accumulated enough Elite points to even get a Gold Monarch from the archive for free, if you saved your points wisely. The wheel can be frustrating but hey they are giving an opportunity to get rare decks for free if you save up your points.
Btw @Lyle Borders does spinning the wheel at certain time affects the outcomes of the odds or you guys kept it with the planetary alignments? cuz im kind of having a feeling I miss the "no reward" when I spin it at early morning USA time. I would have to miss a day's spin if I go back to that time again :p

Reactions: C J and faizpardesi

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
does spinning the wheel at certain time affects the outcomes of the odds or you guys kept it with the planetary alignments? cuz im kind of having a feeling I miss the "no reward" when I spin it at early morning USA time. I would have to miss a day's spin if I go back to that time again :p

Nope - every single spin has identical odds, regardless of time of day.

// L

Dec 3, 2017
I'm not against the way the wheel is but maybe a source code dump for just the spin of the wheel would make people 'trust' it more. I don't know if it's a liability of being hacked or exploits but the code would be cool to look at. Then again it is your contest and even if it is rigged for people who buy stuff (which I don't think it is) it's still a cool thing to do.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I'm not against the way the wheel is but maybe a source code dump for just the spin of the wheel would make people 'trust' it more. I don't know if it's a liability of being hacked or exploits but the code would be cool to look at. Then again it is your contest and even if it is rigged for people who buy stuff (which I don't think it is) it's still a cool thing to do.

Dumping the code IS a problem, simply because it would allow the possibility of someone finding vulnerabilities and then cheating. We have issues with cheaters every single year even without the code being publicly available. We have no plans to release the code at this time.

// L

Dec 3, 2017
That's all cool and probably kinda suspicious since that's my first post. My bad. I had the thought of that but wasn't sure if it was a problem.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I know the programming is as fair as can be, but I will say it's just plain cruel to put "Grand Prize" and "No Reward" right next to each other :p

Reactions: DominusDolorum

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Hey guys!

Just to echo what Lyle said - the system is designed to be as fun and fair as physically possible! Our holiday contest is the most clear and transparent in the industry (it's mathematically random), and every day, theory11 members are winning awesome free stuff in the process! The proof is here in the forums - and Instagram too:

https://instagram.com/p/Bcp9KWzA_wE/

All spins are created equal, our system doesn't differentiate one bit between free spins and spins acquired by purchasing products. Of course, the odds of winning the big prizes (and the grand prize) are lower than winning the small prizes (or no prize), but it's fair and square and hundreds of winners can attest to it.

Most of all, hope everyone is having a happy and healthy holiday season!

bigscotty

Elite Member
Out of twelve spins, my results for this year are below. I'm getting a re-spin or points a little over half the time (fancy math aside).

No Reward 5
Spin Again 3
25 Elite Points 3
100 Elite Points 1

That said, the spin gives me 30 seconds of fun in a crowded/noisy email marketing space this time of year as companies pound our inbox with promos for us to buy things. Theory 11 gives us a shot at winning products and making progress to Elite status where you can also cash in points for products. Sure, you might spend a few dollars to get some cool stuff (which also gets you spins) while you're on the site, but it's likely stuff you're already considering buying

Anyway, I dig the contest.

Cheers all.

Reactions: Shypfeil

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
As I said before, I love this idea. There are contests with similar companies, however you have to "pay to play".
This contest is free... it costs nothing more than a few seconds of your time for a chance, large or small, to win a prize.
Last year the wheel was 2 weeks in before I won 25 points. Someone can buy a lottery ticket for 40 years and still win nothing.
People today... no one directly on this forum just a generalization... are so "priviledged". They deserve to win, be first, get the biggest, the most expensive.. etc..etc.. Whether waiting in line, parking at a shopping centre...doesn't matter.
This contest is FREE to play.
Don't like "your odds"? Don't play.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Wheel is fun, I posted in another thread that I think it is awesome T11 does this. I've won some points and had several no reward days. I have even had no rewards from spins I got after a purchase. I get excited when it slow downs near a grand prize but even without winning its fun. Don't really see the point in anyone complaining about it!

Reactions: Shypfeil and CWhite
Mar 2, 2016
United States
The wheel is awesome. Getting a grand prize or decks or something would be amazing, but you can't go wrong when they're just giving away free elite points. Instead of seeing it as a negative (since I've never won anything more than points) I see it as "This is my chance to catch up on getting some more points", because I don't have a budget where I can purchase something from T11 every month lol.

RKMagic

Elite Member
May 14, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I just wanted to thank JB and the entire T11 team for doing this awesome holiday contest each year. To anyone doubting if you can actually win anything other than elite points, I won 10,000 points and my elite membership from the holiday contest a few years back! Good luck everybody!:)

Oct 22, 2017
I am in the wrong here, I did not read the percentage of winning more valuable prizes section and do apologize. I realize this comment came off as detrimental to the magic community and to beneficial websites like this one. This is the last thing I would want to do and realize now my error. Keep it goin guys and don't comment on the forums after a night on the town :)

Reactions: Timewise64
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results