• Option A

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Option B

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Would you guys rather:
A) Have a great performance and entertain the audience, but be criticized on a ton of things in it by other magicians
OR
B) Have an OK performance, but be praised by a lot of other magicians.

And why?

Personally, I would choose option A. Some magicians just want to hate others for doing well, and I would rather entertain my audience and leave knowing that they were happy.

However, I also understand if people would rather do some crazy moves which aren't exactly entertaining to the audience just so other magicians see how good they are, though I don't agree with that.

Sep 23, 2017
My knee jerk reaction was to pick A, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized the benefits. Imagine, Penn and Teller love you, Johnny Thompson loves you, you can do no wrong in their eyes. They'll want to work with you, put you in the spotlight. Getting those showbiz connections would be huge

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
My knee jerk reaction was to pick A, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized the benefits. Imagine, Penn and Teller love you, Johnny Thompson loves you, you can do no wrong in their eyes. They'll want to work with you, put you in the spotlight. Getting those showbiz connections would be huge
But remember, laymen won't like your performance too much. Penn & Teller wouldn't like you if you had a horrible performance style and just tried to fool people. And plus, if reviews for your performances are bad, I doubt you could stay in business long.

C J

Nov 29, 2017
I would choose B mainly because in my eyes I would rather be favored amongst those who are involved in my art VS those who I just asked on the street. However, if I had a stage show and was doing that sort of thing then I would pick option A. If you're charging someone money to watch you do magic you better bring your best performance.

Sep 23, 2017
But remember, laymen won't like your performance too much. Penn & Teller wouldn't like you if you had a horrible performance style and just tried to fool people. And plus, if reviews for your performances are bad, I doubt you could stay in business long.
Then I could try and ride out my moment with the big guys? Idk maybe after my fall from grace when I'm getting smaller gigs, I can just introduce myself as someone who worked with p&t. I don't know man stop poking holes in my argument, it made so much sense in my head!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Then I could try and ride out my moment with the big guys? Idk maybe after my fall from grace when I'm getting smaller gigs, I can just introduce myself as someone who worked with p&t. I don't know man stop poking holes in my argument, it made so much sense in my head!
lol
Just know that you probably wont get small gigs. People will leave reviews for you, and if it's you vs someone else, that's just gonna hurt you.

If there's another reason, I'd accept it, but there are too many flaws in this argument too.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I would choose B mainly because in my eyes I would rather be favored amongst those who are involved in my art VS those who I just asked on the street. However, if I had a stage show and was doing that sort of thing then I would pick option A. If you're charging someone money to watch you do magic you better bring your best performance.
To be fair, spectators are just as big a part in magic as magicians. And on the street, you would still be doing a show. It's not like you're just asking random people to watch you.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I think for me it would be a balance of both... Also "knuckle busting" isn't necessarily a determining factor for being highly praised by other magicians, in my opinion...
I agree,

But there are some things that magicians are fascinated by, but laymen don't find entertaining. Extremely hard moves are definitely one of them.

Think of it this way: If someone did a routine centered around an Anti-Faro, and got it perfect every time, we as magicians would definitely praise him for the effort it took to do it, where as a layman probably wouldn't care.

Jul 15, 2017
Everything depends on what audience I'm performing for. If I know I'm performing for a bunch of magicians, I'm going to do some stuff that I know would entertain magicians, if I'm performing for a giant audience of laymen I will focus way more on my performance and use not so "knuckle busting" Slight of hand, there is just no need. Every and I mean 100% of the laymen I perform for are blown away by a simple peek and double lift. Soo...A and B, but I don't sacrifice my performance for anything, I don't really care what other magicians think of my stuff. I have a couple of "mentors" That have and will keep watching and helping me with my stuff and as long as that group gives me the thumbs up, I'm a keep doing me. I know that was way longer of an answer for what you asked but..yeah that's what I think lol.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I would pick the performance that audience likes because that is what matters. However, I'd love to get constructive criticism from other magicians even on a performance that entertains the audience. There is always room for improvement.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I would pick the performance that audience likes because that is what matters. However, I'd love to get constructive criticism from other magicians even on a performance that entertains the audience. There is always room for improvement.
That's a very good point. Getting criticized by other magicians means you know what you have to improve in.

Aug 15, 2017
Would you guys rather:
A) Have a great performance and entertain the audience, but be criticized on a ton of things in it by other magicians
OR
B) Have an OK performance, but be praised by a lot of other magicians.

And why?

Personally, I would choose option A. Some magicians just want to hate others for doing well, and I would rather entertain my audience and leave knowing that they were happy.

However, I also understand if people would rather do some crazy moves which aren't exactly entertaining to the audience just so other magicians see how good they are, though I don't agree with that.
Option A
Because I do magic for my audience, not the magicians.

Jul 26, 2016
Option C: Have a great performance and entertain the audience AND be praised by a lot of other magicians.

I believe that if it truly was a great and entertaining performance, then most magicians who happened to witness it would be impressed, and give credit where credit is due. Contrary to popular belief, magicians are people too. :D If, as Maaz put it, there were a "ton of things" to be criticized on in the performance, then it would not be a "great" performance, even for laymen. Laymen can spot when the magic is not clean or smooth, or when we flash, or when the handling is suspicious. And if that is the case, they are usually not hesitant to let us know.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I really only care that the people who pay me enjoy what they purchased.

I always seek professional critique from those I feel are qualified to give it, sure. When it comes to a magician's unsolicited opinion, I think of it like this - You don't have to worry about what they say, but you should look where they are pointing.

Let me explain that one, because it's a bit obtuse when distilled to one sentence. It comes from a story I read.

A woman was a painter. Her husband had no training in art, nor any real interest in it. Occasionally she would ask his opinion of a painting she was working on. He would look at it and say something like, "I think it needs more red over here," and kind of vaguely gesture to one corner. This is obviously not super helpful advice, but when she looked in the area he was pointing out, she would realize it was missing something and she could fix it.

So if someone gives you feedback that says, "You should be doing X move at this time" - don't necessarily worry yourself about what they are specifically recommending, but take a look at the area of the trick they are commenting on and see if you can figure out what's making them see something "Wrong" there.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
C: Have a great performance that both magicians and laymen love and appreciate ;)

I mean, basically all the stuff I sell is marketed for working magicians to perform for laymen. It may not "fool" magicians but usually they appreciate the routines because the performance is fun and clever. I have never had any magicians criticize my performances for being "too easy to perform" or anything like that. In fact, people usually appreciate my straight forward and streamlined approach.

If a magician truly wants to see something I perform "for other magicians," I would show them "Tour de Force" and "Ninja Plus." Both usually fool them and entertain the lay audience. So I guess my answer is neither A or B.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results