Who do you think is the best magic teacher today?

Dec 31, 2017
Who do you think is the best magic teacher today? I always loved Daryl's teaching, and I love Michael Ammar. Who else do you think are great teachers?

Jul 26, 2016
I learned a lot from Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles" DVDs. Michael is very clear, detailed, well-spoken, engaging, classy and comes across as a very likable guy. He has a way of infusing excitement and enthusiasm into the material he teaches. And yes, definitely honorable mention to Daryl.

Aug 6, 2017
For books I love Harry Lorayne. He teaches well and is personable in his writing. Videos I like David Williamson. He is very funny.

Mar 15, 2017
Xavior Spade is probably one of my favourites, he has a comedic side to him, though, when it comes to magic, you can hear the passion resonate within his words, he doesn't sugar-coat things; if you're crap, then he'll say you're crap. But he'll go into detail on what you can improve on. Overall, he's one of the best sleight-of-hand magicians of today.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I really like how Blake Vogt goes through things. He makes it easier for me to figure out what is actually happening, and thus makes it easier for me to learn everything.

And Roberto Giobii is simply amazing at explaining things.

Aug 15, 2017
Who do you think is the best magic teacher today? I always loved Daryl's teaching, and I love Michael Ammar. Who else do you think are great teachers?
Asad Chaudhry (52 Kards)
Vinh Giang
Chris Ramsay
Tom Ogden
Paul Zenon
Michael Ammar
Brian Brushwood
Jay Sankey
Daniel Garcia
Diamond Jim Tyler

in NO specific order.
As soon as the above guys release a book or video, I know I will be getting good stuff. Also, Asad's card sleights are so visually perfect too!

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Asad Chaudhry (52 Kards)
Vinh Giang
Chris Ramsay
Tom Ogden
Paul Zenon
Michael Ammar
Brian Brushwood
Jay Sankey
Daniel Garcia
Diamond Jim Tyler

in NO specific order.
As soon as the above guys release a book or video, I know I will be getting good stuff. Also, Asad's card sleights are so visually perfect too!
Jay Sankey is very good as well.

Reactions: Dockler
Jul 15, 2017
If you ever get the chance to see Garrett Thomas give a lecture go for it, his insight on how to perform and why to perform is amazing. Also, it's a bit costly but learning from the hand of Michael Vincent is an investment that is well worth it. He is patient and amazing in his technique.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Also wanna give a mention to Greg Wilson (the close up one who made Cold Case. I'm not sure I've read or seen anything of Mark Wilson's son outside of his Fool Us appearance). He is very thorough in his teachings.

Aug 15, 2017
Jay Sankey is very good as well.
Yup, Sankey teaches really well. But I think that would be for those who are InsideDeception members. And understandable too, he needs to earn right? (no sarcasm)
In YT, he kind of skims through the important sleights, so I need to do extra research on it. Not a bad thing I suppose, but still...

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Yup, Sankey teaches really well. But I think that would be for those who are InsideDeception members. And understandable too, he needs to earn right? (no sarcasm)
In YT, he kind of skims through the important sleights, so I need to do extra research on it. Not a bad thing I suppose, but still...
His YouTube channel is actually pretty good for magicians who have atleast studied the basics and are continuing through more stuff. Once you know your basics roughly, the YouTube channel is essentially a bunch of presentation ideas and principals being used.

Dec 28, 2017
Nicholas Einhorn is great too... check out his books... Illustrated Compendium of Magic Tricks or How to Do Magic Tricks... Really nice!

Another vote for Michael Ammar from me. That guy is a legend.

Second to him, is Dan Harlan. While I don't agree with Dan Harlan's performance style, I can't deny that he is one of the most thorough magic teachers out there. They couldn't have picked a better performance to do video lectures on the Tarbell Course.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Another vote for Michael Ammar from me. That guy is a legend.

Second to him, is Dan Harlan. While I don't agree with Dan Harlan's performance style, I can't deny that he is one of the most thorough magic teachers out there. They couldn't have picked a better performance to do video lectures on the Tarbell Course.
What don't you like about Harlan?

What don't you like about Harlan?
It's not that I don't like him, I just don't agree with him if that makes sense. He was the headliner of Michigan Magic Day and when I went to see his show he belittled every volunteer he called up. It just made my friend and I cringe at how he was treating his volunteers and his jokes were a little too slapstick than witty. I also met him once at penguin live and he was kind of short with me but I attribute that to him being tired after a long day at work.

But as a teacher I think he's brilliant. I own several of his products and can attest that they are all great material and he teaches it so thoroughly that I would buy something from Penguin just because it is taught by him.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Harlan is a good teacher, for sure. Eric Jones is also very thorough when he does videos.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Wayne Houchin. His was one of the first lectures I attended and it taught me a lot about making good magic (not just how to do tricks).

Another - Ken Weber. Maximum Entertainment is probably one of the most educational books I own. Strong Magic is usually recommended right beside it, but I find Strong Magic to be a much more difficult read and honestly, it's just not quite as good (Still a book everyone should read, though, if they want to perform good magic).

Paul Brook's books are excellent. He really understands performance and mentalism on a level that most do not. Probably relates to his genuine psychology background.

Juan Tamariz's books are also quite good. It's been a while since I read them so I don't remember specific strong points, but I do remember a lot of "Aha!" moments reading the Five Points in Magic.

Oh, Eugene Burger, too. I only have two of his, but they both explain tricks and philosophy excellently (which makes sense, since he was a philosopher).

Aaron Fisher is a really good instructor as well. I have The Paper Engine and I've seen several of his videos. Very thorough explanation, without being overly repetitive.

And if you can find his books, and you can jive with his writing style, Derren Brown is also great. Again, more focus on the "Why" then the "how", which I appreciate.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results