Fire Eating

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys,

I have been really intrigued with fire eating for a while now. I've been thinking that I might try learning it this summer. However, I do have some MAJOR questions before I even think about learning it.

First off, is it worth it? The reason I want to learn it the most right now is that I think it might be a cool way to draw a crowd when performing, maybe as an opening routine.

Next, how should I go about learning it? I'm assuming I should pick up "The Professional's Guide to Fire Eating" by Brian Brushwood. What other books do you recommend? I also heard a few people say "learn from a professional". How would I go about finding one?

Thirdly, is the smoke actually inhaled? I know that you can't breath in the flame because it'll get into your lungs or something, but is there smoke inhaled? Can it cause lung problems?

Anything else you guys wanna add, go right ahead. This is completely uncharted territory for me.

I learned fire eating from a group called the Detroit Fire Collective. There are tons of "burners" all around the world so I'm sure where ever you are located you can find a fire club and there would be people to teach you there. As with anything fire related, there is some risk involved so yes you will probably inhale some smoke which has carcinogens which can cause lung cancer. But at the capacity you will more than likely be doing this, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I learned fire eating from a group called the Detroit Fire Collective. There are tons of "burners" all around the world so I'm sure where ever you are located you can find a fire club and there would be people to teach you there. As with anything fire related, there is some risk involved so yes you will probably inhale some smoke which has carcinogens which can cause lung cancer. But at the capacity you will more than likely be doing this, I wouldn't worry too much about that.
How'd you find them?

Also, would it work as an opener?

Jul 15, 2017
There is a busking act in my area that opens with a fire breathing routine and then goes into a bunch of crazy contortionist routine....but I can tell you first hand from watching this guy do is several times, yes breathing fire into the air will draw a crowd if there is a crowd to be drawn.

How'd you find them?

Also, would it work as an opener?
A friend recommended it to me when I was actively seeking someone to teach me firebreathing. You can find most groups like this on Facebook though.

I think it would make for a great opener! I use sword swallowing as a lure for my busking show. I should note that one of the best buskers currently out there, Kozmo, said that he disagreed with using such a strong effect as a lure. I say play to whatever your strengths and weaknesses are but as Justin said, it will definitely draw a crowd.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If remotely possible learn from someone in person. I'm not sure where you are. Your profile says Philly at heart - if you're anywhere in that region you can look up Harley Newman (the Gnarley Human). He does what he calls Oddity U, where he teaches side show arts. Todd Robbins also gives lessons. Of the side show world, you'd be hard pressed to find two more qualified individuals.

If not possible, you can pick Brushwood's book, sure. You can also pick up Carissa Hendrix's videos. I think they're just called How To Eat Fire. Pretty comprehensive.

Something you need to know, though - when performing with fire, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you get hurt, and to what degree. I don't say that to scare you, but to make sure you understand. I've done fire performance for nearly two decades now, and every single fire performer I know has at least one "I got burned" story. Sometimes it's, "I got burned, but only bad enough to turn some of my skin pink" and sometimes it's worse. That's why I highly, highly recommend learning from an actual instructor, so they can give you thorough safety instruction. If they don't cover a ton of safety stuff, I'd consider finding another instructor.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If remotely possible learn from someone in person. I'm not sure where you are. Your profile says Philly at heart - if you're anywhere in that region you can look up Harley Newman (the Gnarley Human). He does what he calls Oddity U, where he teaches side show arts. Todd Robbins also gives lessons. Of the side show world, you'd be hard pressed to find two more qualified individuals.

If not possible, you can pick Brushwood's book, sure. You can also pick up Carissa Hendrix's videos. I think they're just called How To Eat Fire. Pretty comprehensive.

Something you need to know, though - when performing with fire, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you get hurt, and to what degree. I don't say that to scare you, but to make sure you understand. I've done fire performance for nearly two decades now, and every single fire performer I know has at least one "I got burned" story. Sometimes it's, "I got burned, but only bad enough to turn some of my skin pink" and sometimes it's worse. That's why I highly, highly recommend learning from an actual instructor, so they can give you thorough safety instruction. If they don't cover a ton of safety stuff, I'd consider finding another instructor.
Thanks, I live near DC now. Any recommendations there? Tyler helped me find some people, but all the ones who are even relatively close to me that offer classes are only on fire juggling, and a few on breathing. Noe were teaching eating.

Might look up Mr.Newman over the summer, since I plan to go back to Philly to visit some friends and stuff over the summer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results