Classic pass, THE right moment.

Aug 15, 2017
Well, I do know that the right moment for a classic pass is when no one is looking at the deck. RRTCM says the pass should not be done right after the card's been returned to the deck. And I HAVE done the pass irl situations and it did work alright.
Now the thing is, as I am practising it more, it is getting more and more unnoticable, my hands are getting relaxed, and all the sort of stuff, which is good.
But when I do it, my pinky is quite inside the two packets, SLIGHTLY beyond my pinky's first phalange. And as I said, it works fine, in fact it is how I do it. If I increase the break, the pass become obvious, and if I reduce it, the pass either is quite difficult or makes a lot of noise.
The problem is to get that big a break.
I mean, usually (like almost all of us) I need the slightest amount of the mere skin of my pinky to do something, say, a double undercut. But how do I extend the tiny pinky break to a giant one? How do I transform my 'usual' pinky break for my 'pass' pinky break? The way I do it now is...I do the pass just after the card has been returned, and as I said, I read and heard I should not do that. But if I keep a giant break from the beginning, it looks suspicious and is noticable.

So the million-dollar question...
How do I transform my tiny pinky break for a big one (for my classic pass) with no one seeing?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Push the pinky further in as you bring your hands together to execute the pass. Once you have cover from your right hand, just stick the little guy in there ;).
This too^

If you prefer to have the break be invisible at all times without needing to drop your hands, this is great advice.

Reactions: Lord Magic

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Not sure if this will answer your pinky break question, but it is worth looking at to help cover your pass in general.

As for the pinky break issue. I just set the top packet on top of the pinky break right off the bat. If you use similar motivation to the video i posted above, you should not have people even looking at the deck anyway because "nothing magical is happening or about to happen."

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
My advice/opinion is, unfortunately, to shell out some cash for a video.

I got started in magic in the early 1980's and didn't have any of today's tech available (like free vids on youtube which, as discussed elsewhere, aren't necessarily an advantage). I didn't have a VCR (which was really expensive back then) and magic vids were in their infancy.

Fast forward to 1989. By then I did have a VCR and magic vids were coming out all the time. I had become a fan of Richard Kaufman, was on his mailing list (and yeah, it was an actual mailing list that you got in the mail) and received a flyer from him about his new (and I think maybe his first) video, On The Pass. So, I bought it...still have it, too.

On The Pass
is just what it says it is, a video that teaches the pass exclusively. For me, at the time, it was revolutionary. The information is outstanding and the only problem with it today is that it has never been updated (even though it is now on DVD) and the visual quality is not high definition. But it's good enough.

The real value in it is that it takes the text/illustration instruction that is in a book and brings it to life in a totally accurate representation performed (instructed) by an expert. And that's the way it should be used, as a companion to written instruction.

It has darn near every variation of the pass ever conceived plus several routines which use the pass. And if you learn it right the first time you don't have to break yourself of bad habits later. The pass is sort of a Holy Grail for a lot of card workers (how often do you hear, "Hey, show me your pass?") and being able to properly execute it* is and should be a point of pride. On The Pass could help you get there. It isn't a cheap vid but it is good stuff.

*In which case, a "right" moment is unnecessary because it is then nearly invisible.

Jun 11, 2017
Just as I like to ask a question and have many answers besides any that count. Can you ask again without 10 people jumping on the answer?

Jun 11, 2017
My advice/opinion is, unfortunately, to shell out some cash for a video.

I got started in magic in the early 1980's and didn't have any of today's tech available (like free vids on youtube which, as discussed elsewhere, aren't necessarily an advantage). I didn't have a VCR (which was really expensive back then) and magic vids were in their infancy.

Fast forward to 1989. By then I did have a VCR and magic vids were coming out all the time. I had become a fan of Richard Kaufman, was on his mailing list (and yeah, it was an actual mailing list that you got in the mail) and received a flyer from him about his new (and I think maybe his first) video, On The Pass. So, I bought it...still have it, too.

On The Pass
is just what it says it is, a video that teaches the pass exclusively. For me, at the time, it was revolutionary. The information is outstanding and the only problem with it today is that it has never been updated (even though it is now on DVD) and the visual quality is not high definition. But it's good enough.

The real value in it is that it takes the text/illustration instruction that is in a book and brings it to life in a totally accurate representation performed (instructed) by an expert. And that's the way it should be used, as a companion to written instruction.

It has darn near every variation of the pass ever conceived plus several routines which use the pass. And if you learn it right the first time you don't have to break yourself of bad habits later. The pass is sort of a Holy Grail for a lot of card workers (how often do you hear, "Hey, show me your pass?") and being able to properly execute it* is and should be a point of pride. On The Pass could help you get there. It isn't a cheap vid but it is good stuff.

*In which case, a "right" moment is unnecessary because it is then nearly invisible.

You must be joking in that if you learn it right the first time you don't have to break yourself of bad habits later.

Dec 30, 2014
I haven't checked it out myself yet but I heard the brick pass by Alex Pandrea is a really detailed video of his AMAZING handling. You can check it out here

Aug 9, 2017
Well, I do know that the right moment for a classic pass is when no one is looking at the deck. RRTCM says the pass should not be done right after the card's been returned to the deck. And I HAVE done the pass irl situations and it did work alright.
Now the thing is, as I am practising it more, it is getting more and more unnoticable, my hands are getting relaxed, and all the sort of stuff, which is good.
But when I do it, my pinky is quite inside the two packets, SLIGHTLY beyond my pinky's first phalange. And as I said, it works fine, in fact it is how I do it. If I increase the break, the pass become obvious, and if I reduce it, the pass either is quite difficult or makes a lot of noise.
The problem is to get that big a break.
I mean, usually (like almost all of us) I need the slightest amount of the mere skin of my pinky to do something, say, a double undercut. But how do I extend the tiny pinky break to a giant one? How do I transform my 'usual' pinky break for my 'pass' pinky break? The way I do it now is...I do the pass just after the card has been returned, and as I said, I read and heard I should not do that. But if I keep a giant break from the beginning, it looks suspicious and is noticable.

So the million-dollar question...
How do I transform my tiny pinky break for a big one (for my classic pass) with no one seeing?
I higly suggest picking up the Pass Project by Xavior Spade. His pass has a big gap which I think you'll like. His theory about the pass alone is worth the money. He has created his pass with over 20 years experience. It is the best pass I have ever come across so far.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results