GiG questions

C J

Nov 29, 2017
So in the new year, I have a gig at a pub working on Saturday from 1:30 to 3:00 working for tips. It would be me doing close up at tables for 10 min per table. I have come across a problem towards the end of my routine I need a hat or something similar to get tips however it a bit uncomfortable to just pass around a hat. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
C J

Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
I haven't had an incredible amount of experience gigging yet, but I wouldn't pass around a hat if I were you. It does depend on where you're performing. I think it would be better at a busking situation to leave a hat out, but if you leave a hat out on a table it puts too much pressure on them because of the intimate setting. It's crucial that your audience feels comfortable enough to want you back for more gigs.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
There are two ways to do this.

1 you drop hints throughout your act that you are working for tips and hope they get the hint and tip you.

2 you let them know at the end thatbyounare just working for tips and anything they can spare would be appreciated.

I would avoid passing out a hat in a restaurant as it may be seen as unsanitary. If you really need something to keep the tips in maybe a top glass or box? But even that may be a bit much tbh.

Oct 19, 2015
I would think a good 'last trick' would be to produce a small glass or container on top of the table, maybe using an egg bag or? Your story on this is that this object is my reward or tip container.....maybe have a few bucks in it already.....!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Okay, here is my thoughts, but keep in mind - I'm from Canada so my cultural bias is very much at play.

In a restaurant, it is different than busking "Hey if you enjoyed the show, please consider dropping some money in the hat"
If you approached a strangers and did street magic for someone and asked for a tip, it would seem like you were homeless.
For me if someone approaches me, they should not ask for a tip. If I approach them, then I expect to tip them. And if they are not good, and ask outright for a tip - that's awkward. People hate confrontation so they would likely leave a tip, but it would sour them to the restaurant and that's NOT your goal!

In a restaurant, I personally would never ask. I would worry that it would be rude or at the very least, tacky.
So, I would go for a more passive approach. I remember Paddy used to say that he had a small button that he wore that said that he accepted tips. I can't remember who said it but they talked about doing magic with a borrowed $5 or $10 bill. This get's the money into view. Then he said, instead of handing it back to them, set it down in front of you a bit far away from the person who lent it. He said it look like you are saying tank you and giving it back, but it's far enough away that they look a little greedy if they reach all the way across the table for it, so they often just leave it there. Then once you are finished, and saying your thank you, they will often just offer it to you. Not sure if that works, but it's subtle enough that it's not rude, and they feel generous because they are offering it. Is it manipulation? Yes. Is that bad? Not any worse than advertising imo. They also said something like shaking their hand and as you leave make it look like they gave you something and put it in your pocket - so that other tables will think that they tipped you. Not sure if that's necessary or not.

Another thing is that in 2018, people probably don't really carry cash. I don't carry cash, so how awkward would it be for someone to come up to me - perform, then ask for a tip - and I can't - even if I wanted to. Then if they were to say no problem and whip out a square reader, that would be so awkward.

So if I woke up in your shoes I would:
- Be so incredibly nice
- Be as funny as I could be
- Be humble and avoid any sort of arrogance
- Be thankful and appreciative of them and their time
- Be excellent at your craft!
- Accept tips with thankfulness
- Make your participants feel great about themselves
- Do magic with money that you want to be tipped with
- Do magic that leaves them with a souvenir
- Remember who tips. Adults. Not teenagers, not really young adults, but adults - and usually men (I can say that I only once received a tip from a woman - and she was flirting). Make eye contact with them, thank them, make them laugh, and they will be the ones to reward you. So if there are kids at the table, do magic for them, then something cool for the older guy at the table.
- After killing it for the restaurant for 4-6 months, enter into a conversation with the manager to see if things are going well and about getting paid hourly. If they can't then you can look elsewhere.
- Keep looking for other restaurants that will pay you properly. You can work multiple restaurants at the same time.
- And just be authentic. Treat them how you would want to be treated.
- Evaluate your audience. When it goes really well - why did it go well? If they tip, ask why do you think they tipped and the last table didn't? Did you say something? Is there a pattern? What were the ages? Why where they out for a bite to eat? etc.
- Carefully craft the script you use. Words are extremely powerful. Use words like ' tip, money, give, generous, thank you' etc. often. Example (in an aces to pocket routine) "Hey I have a good tip for you, 'when you are playing cards with a magician for money, don't assume they keep the aces up their sleeves, but rather in each of their four pockets'."

Don't leave this gig! Every opportunity that you have to perform, take it! Use this time - even if the pay is low to build your chops for the next place. So good job on getting the gig. That's the part most people don't make it to. You will love it. Restaurant magic is awesome.

Break a leg!

Last edited:
The only thing I have to add is a *ahem* tip from Dan Harlan. When doing restaurant work or even busking for that matter, if you end on a trick with bills or money that was borrowed, they usually let you keep it as a tip. I suggest something like Kill Bill by Ari Bhojez. When I was busking, the only time I got tips in terms of papery money was when I did Ignition by Chris Smith.

Reactions: C J and CWhite

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Okay I'll let you in on something I've done before and it works :) No, it is not my idea.
You develop a good relationship with one of the waitresses or bus boys. You give them a $5.00 bill prior to your work shift and have them bring it over to you while you are performing at a table and have them interrupt stating..."The gentleman at the last table wanted you to have this." This will typically allow other nearby tables to see money being handed to you right then, and then also at the end of your set people see money being handed to you again. It works. I've done it. :) Now, you also need to take care of them as well. Either give them a lil of your tips at the end of your shift or if they are having a difficult time with a table or an order is messed up...let them know you can go entertain at that table and try to smooth things over while the food order is getting fixed.

Reactions: C J
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results