Mentalism fundamentals

Jul 15, 2017
Hey Theory 11 crew,
So I have the chance to go buy some books this Friday and I would love to add a couple of books on Mentalism to my shelf. Does any one have any recommendations on books that explain the fundamentals and systems of Mentalism, not really looking for just a book of "tricks" Theory books would also be welcome. If you have a suggestion just let me know!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The short answer: Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals. Karl Fulves' Self Working Mental Mysteries. Practical Mental Magic by Annemann. 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda. In that order - 13 Steps is more like an encyclopedia/reference than a beginner's how to.

The long answer is that it really depends on what you plan to do. You could be a very respected mentalist without ever learning a single "trick" - just read any book on Tarot or Palmistry, Psychophysiological Thought Reading by Banachek, and Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jacquin, and apply some creativity. Add in some billet work and pendulum stuff and you can create an hour long show that uses maybe one sleight. Well, sleight of hand. There's a lot of sleight of mind/words going on.

The thing you have to remember about mentalism is that it's not magic. They are related, but distinctly different theatrical approaches to performance. You cannot be an effective mentalist if you perform like a magician. You can be an effective mental magician that way, but I feel (and I could just be biased) that audiences feel the difference between the two.

Other recommendations that I feel are pretty important:

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz.
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.
Absolute Magic by Derren Brown.
Pure Effect by Derren Brown.
The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook.
The Swingers Party by TC Tahoe (Pendulum work)
Switch Craft by Elliot Bresler

Maybe An Actor Prepares by Stanislovski or Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen. Acting lessons and a director will be more valuable but work with what you can get.

Mentalism is inherently more dependent on theatrical ability than magic. You can simply execute the moves of a magic trick and be interesting to at least some people. Mentalism requires a theatrical approach to deliver it appropriately, or you will fall flat.

Jul 15, 2017
The short answer: Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals. Karl Fulves' Self Working Mental Mysteries. Practical Mental Magic by Annemann. 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda. In that order - 13 Steps is more like an encyclopedia/reference than a beginner's how to.

The long answer is that it really depends on what you plan to do. You could be a very respected mentalist without ever learning a single "trick" - just read any book on Tarot or Palmistry, Psychophysiological Thought Reading by Banachek, and Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jacquin, and apply some creativity. Add in some billet work and pendulum stuff and you can create an hour long show that uses maybe one sleight. Well, sleight of hand. There's a lot of sleight of mind/words going on.

The thing you have to remember about mentalism is that it's not magic. They are related, but distinctly different theatrical approaches to performance. You cannot be an effective mentalist if you perform like a magician. You can be an effective mental magician that way, but I feel (and I could just be biased) that audiences feel the difference between the two.

Other recommendations that I feel are pretty important:

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz.
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.
Absolute Magic by Derren Brown.
Pure Effect by Derren Brown.
The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook.
The Swingers Party by TC Tahoe (Pendulum work)
Switch Craft by Elliot Bresler

Maybe An Actor Prepares by Stanislovski or Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen. Acting lessons and a director will be more valuable but work with what you can get.

Mentalism is inherently more dependent on theatrical ability than magic. You can simply execute the moves of a magic trick and be interesting to at least some people. Mentalism requires a theatrical approach to deliver it appropriately, or you will fall flat.

I'm happy you bring up acting and theatrics, I have a BFA degree from NKU, and have been very active in theater and live performance my entire late teenage and adult life. That really gives me hope. As for the books, as long as I've been on this site, I have yet to see you steer anyone wrong, I do believe I"m going to start with Bob Cassidy, Karl Fulves and Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Also, Boffo. I think that should get me to where I would like to be. Thank you so much for the advice!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Happy to help. You can shoot me a PM or FB msg if you ever want to discuss the nitty gritty of it. I've found it's very difficult for a magician to truly shake off the magician's mindset. Even so - mental magic can be very effective. The important part is the narrative used to frame everything. The better a performer you are, the less important the labels are.

Reactions: Justinquill
Jul 15, 2017
Happy to help. You can shoot me a PM or FB msg if you ever want to discuss the nitty gritty of it. I've found it's very difficult for a magician to truly shake off the magician's mindset. Even so - mental magic can be very effective. The important part is the narrative used to frame everything. The better a performer you are, the less important the labels are.
I will 100% be taking you up on this offer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results