The Equivoque Force or Choice

Aug 20, 2017
Quakertown, PA
There are so many books out there on this subject, and I am looking for the right one. I just bought Paul Gordon's book Article 52 and it is a terrific read. I am stuck on one thing right now Its a simple trick but it is based on the Equivoque Force, the trick is on page 20 called Simplex Flush Cut. I am familiar with the Magician's Choice, but this is dealing with 5 piles, not 2 or 3. can anyone help...

Jan 14, 2017
I have not read that particular book.
There is a very common method, with five items, where you instruct the spectator to use both hands; two items at a time.
"Place your hand on two of these" If one of their hands is on the one you wish to force, you simply have one more step. The most common approach is to follow up with "...and hand one to me".
On the other hand, you eliminate those two and continue. But the principle is the same; whittle down to just two and then eliminate the last one.

Jul 26, 2016
I want to be careful here, and not break any of the Forum Rules regarding exposure. I have a method and an accompanying script, with my own wording, which I would be happy to share on how to successfully accomplish an Equivoque where there are 5 piles of cards (or any 5 objects for that matter). However, I want to get the OK on this from a Moderator before I do so. Can someone give me some guidance on this issue?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The answer is in @ParkinT's response. If you don't understand it, you don't understand the magician's force or equivoque. If that is the case, get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and read the description of the Magician's force on page 99. It is a great book and there is so much more in it.

Reactions: ParkinT
Aug 20, 2017
Quakertown, PA
I do basically understand the Magician' Force. I also have an older version of Mark Wilson's course in Magic from 1974. It only has 470 pages, not 503 pages. Page 99 in my book talks about the Glide Method. So this later version must talk about the Magician's force in better detail. You are correct this is a great book.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Oops. Page 321. I was looking at the contents for the Cyclopedia of Magic instead of the Complete Course in Magic. Same idea, but just an extra step where the spectator chooses 2 or 3 out of the five.

Aug 20, 2017
Quakertown, PA
does the later version of the Mark Wilson complete course in magic have additional stuff that my version does not. Also there is a hardback and softback versions, are they the same in content, I believe one came out in 1988, the other in 2001 or 2003???

Jul 26, 2016
Article 52 sounds like a very good book. I'll have to add it to my wish list. From what I know and have seen of Paul Gordon, he is a very clever magician and creative magical thinker.

This may not be for everyone, but the following is my own handling and script for how to do an Equivoque with 5 piles of cards (or five anything, really). Start out by saying, "OK, we are going to eliminate some piles. Please choose 3 of the piles." Once they do this, there are now two possibilities:

Possibility (1) either none of the 3 piles they choose is the one you want to force; or Possibility (2) one of the 3 piles they choose is the pile you want to force. Below is the handling for each of these possibilities:

Possibility (1) None of the 3 piles they select is the "force" pile. Start by saying, "All right, we will eliminate the 3 piles you have indicated. [And you take those 3 piles away]. Then say, "This leaves us with 2 piles. I would like you to choose one of them." If they point to the force pile, I would say, "All right then, we'll use the one you've chosen." [Get rid of the other pile, and you are good to go]. If however, they point to the non-force pile, then say, "OK great, then we'll eliminate that pile, as well." [Again, you are good to go].

Possibility (2) One of the 3 piles they choose is the "force" pile. In that case, say, "OK, we'll eliminate the other 2 piles." [And you take away those two piles]. Then say, "All right, 3 piles now remain, would you please choose 2 of those piles." [If they choose the 2 non-force piles, you say, "Great, we'll eliminate these piles as well." Follow up by saying, "So you have eliminated all but one pile." [And you are done]. But, when you get to the stage above where you say, "All right, 3 piles now remain, would you please choose 2 of those piles," let us suppose they choose two piles, one of which is the force pile, and the other a non-force pile. In such a case, then keep those two piles they have chosen and get rid of the other (non-force) pile, saying, "OK you have chosen these two piles, we'll eliminate this one." Finally, say, "All right, 2 piles remain, would you please choose one of them?" If they choose the force pile, then take the other pile away, and say, "All right, you have chosen this pile. [And your mission is accomplished]. But, if they choose the non-force pile, then say, "OK, great, we'll eliminate that pile as well." [i.e. the non-force pile] [Again, mission accomplished]. You can now say, “You have eliminated all the piles but this one."

Reactions: Josh Mickelson

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I tend to never use the word "eliminate" or"choice" in my equivoque. I simply go with "point to one of these piles/rows/cards/coins/chicken wings", because then I can frame it any way I want after their selection has been made. If you draw too much attention to the process to get to your selection or force, you run the risk of being caught or at least having them questioning you after.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
does the later version of the Mark Wilson complete course in magic have additional stuff that my version does not. Also there is a hardback and softback versions, are they the same in content, I believe one came out in 1988, the other in 2001 or 2003???

The Cyclopedia is an abridged version. The hard back and the paperback are the same regardless of the edition.

Jul 26, 2016
I tend to never use the word "eliminate" or"choice" in my equivoque. I simply go with "point to one of these piles/rows/cards/coins/chicken wings", because then I can frame it any way I want after their selection has been made. If you draw too much attention to the process to get to your selection or force, you run the risk of being caught or at least having them questioning you after.

Well yes, of course it is always different strokes for different blokes. But for what it's worth, in doing the Equivoque procedure I described, I have neither been "caught" nor "questioned" about it in about 40 years of professional performing.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Well yes, of course it is always different strokes for different blokes. But for what it's worth, in doing the Equivoque procedure I described, I have neither been "caught" nor "questioned" about it in about 40 years of professional performing.
Like you said, it probably isn't for everyone. As long as it entertains and it works then the method is just a means to an end.

@Robert1996 Just experiment and see what suits you.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Use whatever suits your style. I'll use any of the following:

"I want you to pick up two piles..."

"I want you to give me two piles..."

"I want you to take two piles..."

I like, "I want you to point to one pile with your right hand..." as my first instruction. You have a 20% to 33% chance of success and a clean looking selection. If not, "I want you to point to another pile with your left hand." Proceed from there.

Jul 28, 2015
Yes, there are, to use a word, some "rules" and techniques when it comes to equivocation or magicians choice. In my experience and opinion it's more of an "attitude" confidence sort of thing when it comes to this kind of force.

In your case I would ask them to point to two piles of the five, if one of the selected piles is the force pile I would eliminate the other three then of the other two selected I would ask them to place one of the piles in my hand, if he places the force pile in hand I would say "ok so this pile" if it's the other way around and the force pile is left on the table id say something like "so there's one pile left... Take the pile... etc.

This is just one example of a possible outcome, remember it's more of a confidence attitude sort of thing more than anything... Again IMO

Jan 24, 2019
The answer is in @ParkinT's response. If you don't understand it, you don't understand the magician's force or equivoque. If that is the case, get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and read the description of the Magician's force on page 99. It is a great book and there is so much more in it.

I know this is an old post, but I was doing some research for a trick I'm thinking of adding to my act, and came across the discussion.

I have Mark Wilson's CCIM, and page 99 talks about the Glide and Color Changing Aces. There doesn't seem to be anything in the book with a MC force. Are there different editions?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results