P.S.P - Plates for Speed Up of Pass, Akira Fujii

Dec 8, 2007
First, for those of you who haven't heard about Mr. Akira Fujii's Classic Pass, please watch this. This is a review of the P.S.P, a set of steel plates and a dvd that aims to help you learn/improve the speed of your pass to the level of Akira Fujii's. You can purchase this product here.

Alright, on to the review.

Facts:
You get a DVD instructional video with Japanese and English audio.
You get 5 steel plates, each approximately the size of ten cards.
DVD is short, no more than 20 minutes of video.
Metal Plates are of high quality
Metal Plates are heavy
Metal Plates make your feet hurt like a !@)%!@%&**#( if dropped on said feet.

Opinion:
This is definitely not a tool for the faint hearted, and you should only get it if you're completely determined to make your classic pass as invisible as can be.

The plates WILL hurt your hands/forearms after sustained practice.

I carry these plates around with me everywhere, walking on the street, whatever, just doing the pass... over and over and over and over again. After a week of this, (practicing the different way of doing the pass taught on the dvd). When I went back to cards, I noticed an immediate speed up of my pass, although still not as clean as Akira Fujii's... must work harder!

After practicing with the plates for an hour or more, when you hold a deck of cards... well, you can't really feel them anymore... as far as your hand's concerned, they don't exist. Which is weird because your eyes tell you the cards are there... but your hands are telling you you're not holding anything... I LOVE this feeling.

Sep 1, 2007
I've always heard mixed things about these plates on the E forums, because some people value deck sensitivity so much. It sounds cool to me though if you're really determined to speed up your pass that much. Thanks for the review

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Card shaped metal plates... Very Gambit per X-men don't you think?

The things one could do with a watermelon. Hmmm...

Seriously though, looks like a great product. $100 with shipping to America seems steep, but Akira's pass is so freaking clean, it just might be worth it.

Thanks for the review

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 8, 2007
Nate River does all the teaching on this DVD I believe.

--Jim

The guy who's performing the moves for the teaching section is Genjiro. For the english portion, its translated by orion, and dubbed by nate river (who chuckles for a second half way through the dvd).

The total length of the video is 9 minutes 11 seconds, with small portion at the end of Akira Fujii performing the pass.

Thanks,
Mino

Ray

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
I would rather just use a little bit of misdirection and execute my non-perfect Classic Pass.

While I can understand that, I still wanna point out that it doesn't hurt anybody to have a pass which is undetectable. But that goes for all sleights.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
No, it certainly doesn't hurt anybody, but it wouldn't necessarily help me, either. My Pass is far from perfect, and nowhere near Invisible, but I use it in that split second when the audience is looking me in the eyes. Never been caught, not once. That's why I won't be spending any oney on metal plates and a DVD to try to help me speed up my pass. Although, I do see how these would be very helpful to those that so strongly desire a Fuji Akira Classic Pass. I, however, am not one of those...

No, it certainly doesn't hurt anybody, but it wouldn't necessarily help me, either. My Pass is far from perfect, and nowhere near Invisible, but I use it in that split second when the audience is looking me in the eyes. Never been caught, not once. That's why I won't be spending any oney on metal plates and a DVD to try to help me speed up my pass. Although, I do see how these would be very helpful to those that so strongly desire a Fuji Akira Classic Pass. I, however, am not one of those...

I feel it appropriate for me to point out how strongly I agree with you on this one. Once again, you took the words right outta my mouth. :)

Dec 3, 2007
NYC
i too purchased this item.

i think this is more to do with doing the pass more deceptively. you will still have to give your attention with many hours spent perfecting the pass.

this is certainly not a shortcut, but another way of doing the pass, without the dead give away of the hands doing a big movement. the weights add to strenghtening the little fingers to do the pass with speed. Since they handle the weight of the cards during the action of the pass.

Mar 6, 2009
NSW, Australia
Practicing with heavy card shape plates makes sense (never though of that).
It is like when you practice punching while holding weights then you put the weights down. You hands feel so light!

Jan 18, 2009
Yeah I saw these not to long ago and instead bought Past Midnight and believe I got more out of my money. You could go somewhere and have those made for about 30 to 40 at the most from a welding or torching shop. Not stainless steel but it's about performance not looks.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
They're good but really you're only going to properly learn the classic pass over time. I think it took Aaron Fisher ten years to get it where he wanted it. It's not perfect but it's performable. Like most have said, I'd rather have a decent pass with misdirection, then spending too much time trying to make it godly.

Sep 4, 2007
Paris, France
I bought the plates a long time ago, but I worked a lot on getting a silent pass before using them, because there's no point to work with such heavy plates if you can't do the move correctly in the beginning. The Akira Fujii's pass is just a subtelty but it was useless to me because I found the nice way to do the classic pass before getting the dvd with the short video. Like someone said before, I like the fact of not feeling the deck after doing a short period of practice with the p.s.p.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results