Reveals

is it ok to claim you cannot reveal "secrets", then reveal the same secrets if you get paid for it.

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2017
How do "you"* justify as a magician that you cannot reveal basic techniques to students of the art.

but if you "create" a trick and sell it...you reveal the techniques.

so it is NOT ok to reveal a secret......but as soon as "you" get paid to do it...THEN you can ?

ESPECIALLY when it comes to card and coin magic where 99% of ALL techniques "YOU" use was originally developed by the pioneers...not by "you"...but yet you claim it as original because you added some patter??

please justify this logic.

*I use "you" so everyone knows I am not talking to them specificly...this has been a problem in the past when not using " "

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
How do "you"* justify as a magician that you cannot reveal basic techniques to students of the art.

so it is NOT ok to reveal a secret......but as soon as "you" get paid to do it...THEN you can ?

ESPECIALLY when it comes to card and coin magic where 99% of ALL techniques "YOU" use was originally developed by the pioneers...not by "you"...but yet you claim it as original because you added some patter??

*I use "you" so everyone knows I am not talking to them specificly...this has been a problem in the past when not using " "
We don't reveal secrets to laymen. If we didn't share tricks with the rest of the magic community, it would die. Selling tricks sort of ensures that only dedicated magicians will pay to learn the secrets

Dec 11, 2017
ok....so in your world, these "secrets" are purchased by "dedicated magicians?
I hope you have thought this trough to the point where you understand that this only happened in the 1800`s..and even then it was incorrect..

today....Youtube teaches EVERY slight there is....so my 2 main problems are:
1: people reffering to books instead of teaching
2: people selling tricks that consists of 2-3 techniques...and claim it is Theirs....HOW is it theirs? 99% of card techniques have already been discovered...putting them in different order doesn`t make it original. but yet they claim it as "theirs"...

Dec 11, 2017
Too many people today act like THEY invented magic....they don`t understand that this is a performance art that has been around since the world started spinning..

but hey...let me throw a double lift and a classic pass together, call it my own and sell it as if it was....are you [Edited by Moderator] kidding me?

what about starting to teach new magicians, the first thing they can`t trust is OTHER magicians, cuz all they want is your money.

with 20 years experience, I am offering my services for Free
I will teach ANYONE.

I am looking for apprentices of ANY skill level. contact me on discord: #hakaari0419

I require:
-dedication
-curiosity
-interest

What I am NOT looking for:
-Getting paid
-people who think they have figured it all out
-People that keep the egyptian idea of keeping magic secret

I want to help increase magic as a ARTFORM...NOT as a paycheck, and this starts with teaching the newbies the basics...withouth telling them 20 different books to read that I have already read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I've never met anyone who said straight up "I can't reveal this, unless you pay me". Most of us have, or will reveal things. Have you never taught a trick to someone for free?

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Aug 15, 2017
I've never met anyone who said straight up "I can't reveal this, unless you pay me". Most of us have, or will reveal things. Have you never taught a trick to someone for free?
Penn and Teller...but of course that's all humor
XD
Ah...I love those guys!

Aug 15, 2017

We can reveal to ANYONE...provided that they'll use it for the art.
So we can reveal it to beginners and laymen who want to start magic.
You pointed out that on You Tube ANYONE can learn magic.
I think that argument is pretty pointless because see, that is the WHOLE point of You Tube. In You Tube anyone can be anything (I suspect am the only one getting Zootopia vibes here. Fine, call me a kid, but Pixar is the best). If the data on You Tube gets restricted...that is like a modified version of net neutrality, but to suit only magicians ALREADY quite good in magic.
Look at it from another perspective. What if professional artists started a rant about EXCLUSIVE painting and shading techniques being taught on You Tube to absolute beginners? Pretty pointless.
A layman in YT will only go as far as a video titled "YOU HAVE TO LEARN THIS AMAZING IMPOSSIBLE COIN TRICK". They won't be interested in something titled, say, "Tips for a good classic pass:Xavior Spade". They'd be like,"What the hell is a pass? And why is it classic? And who the hell is Xavior Spade? Eff this, lemme just go and watch Markiplier play FNAF 5".
Basically, YT has become notorious on YT for NOTHING.

As for your complaints abt magicians introducing stuff AS IF it is their own while it is not really, well, tell me how many new sleights have actually been freshly created? Like, EVERYTHING is new? I don't think there are a lot of them, or even a single one of them. It is what people do with the old sleights that makes the sleights better and makes money for creators. I think creators create effects, not actual methods (I may be wrong). And the best of magicians here surely know how difficult it is to see things from a different point of view yourself. So obviously, if someone sees something from a COMPLETELY different POV, their innovative-ness has a price :)
Say, just for an example---this is an era where a classic pass is used for controlling a card. Everyone sees classic pass JUST as a control, nothing else. Best of magicians and books teach it ONLY as a control. Now, if someone uses a pass and modifies it as a colour change or a vanish...shouldn't their out-of-the-box-thinking be rewarded?
Of course there are some douchebags who steal or copy effects EXACTLY, but there material gets brought down or criticised.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results