Next BookTo Purchase

Jan 31, 2018
What's the next book I should purchase after finishing Expert at The Card Table , Royal Road to Card Magic and Expert Card Technique? I haven't finished ECT yet, but I'd like to know what my next step would be. (Note: I don't have much interest in Scarne on Card Tricks, since all the card tricks are apparently self working and have been copied from the pre-mentioned books. If I am wrong or if my opinion is wrong, please let me know.)

Feb 1, 2017
You'd be surprised how good self workers are. And for Mass Market Paperback at ~$4 and Kindle Edition at ~$8, you can't go wrong. If you learn and use even one thing, it is already worth your money.

People will say self workers are a good way for you to work on your presentation and scripting (which is true), but even if you ignore the self workers that need it, there are some that are just killer on their own.

Feb 1, 2017
Sorry for the double post. I realized I didn't answer your question; however, Jason England already has a video on this and I'd recommend it.

https://store.theory11.com/products/what-to-read-jason-england

What I did when I was first starting out was purchase a Video Download on certain effects and moves that I liked and thought I'd use. Sometimes they would reference certain magicians that had worked or inspired the effect. From there I would track down any books from the magicians they referenced or literature they suggested. That way you know you're getting a book from a magician who created/creates things you may be interested in.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There is very little overlap with Scarne and Royal Road and Expert Card Technique. There are some great effects in there. For sleight of hand, Royal Road would be next unless you decide to start getting the Card College series.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Aug 6, 2017
Like I have said, I've already done RRCM and I find Card College a bit too expensive. Are there any alternatives?

Maybe try wilson's complete course? It has cards in it but it also has a little bit of everything else from mentalism, ropes, coins, cups and balls, etc.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Like I have said, I've already done RRCM and I find Card College a bit too expensive. Are there any alternatives?

I misread your post. I thought you were asking between RRCM and ECT. If you are looking for inexpensive books, try Mentzer's Counts Cuts, Moves and Subtleties, Buckley's Card Control or the Magic of LePaul.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
Some of Harry Lorayne's early stuff might also be worth a look...
Closeup Card Magic
My Favorite Card Tricks
The Magic Book

Reactions: Karo-K54
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results