What is the best card control?

Dec 12, 2016
I have tried a lot of card controls, but I still haven't found the perfect one. What is the best card control? Don't answer classic pass please

Sep 26, 2015
There's really not a "best" card control. It depends on the performer and their skill level. The double undercut is a good one. I use that control more than others.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Sep 26, 2015
I believe Volume 1 of Card College has a section on some basic card controls

Jul 28, 2015
In my opinion and for me it's the jog shuffle, jog shuffle and multiple table cut aaand... wait for it... classic pass...

Reactions: shiflix

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I have tried a lot of card controls, but I still haven't found the perfect one. What is the best card control? Don't answer classic pass please

Have you tried the Diagonal Palm Shift? What's wrong with the classic pass?

Reactions: shiflix

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
It depends on the situation really. Like where the audience is located and how many audience members there are for instance.
I like the Herman Pass usually, it's the control I use most often.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
The control you use should be the best control for the specific situation you are using it in. For example I often use Marlo Tilt for my ambitious card routine as my go to control, however tat control doesn’t do me much good in most other card effects I perform. So it really depends what effect it is for.

Reactions: ParkinT
Feb 21, 2018
Santiago, Chile
One that I use a lot (don't know the name or the creator) it's:
- making the spectator just touch a card while spreading the deck
- one the look at it, close the deck while holding a pinky break
- make an over hand shuffle with the top packet, this takes the selection to the top

This card control I learned it on this video

Jul 26, 2016
I have thought about this question literally for years, and what I have come up with is based on what the best magic teachers in the world have taught me. Who are those teachers? The LAYMEN for whom I have performed. What have I learned. Well, first when having someone select a card, it is super-important that they believe they had a free choice. Second, it is equally important that they are absolutely convince that we are not controlling their card and that it is truly lost in the deck. I have seen renowned "card men" have someone pick a card, then swing cut and tell the spectator to place their card on top of the cut portion, or offer the cut portion to them implying that they are to place their card on top of it. This is not good!!! Why? Because they do not want to replace their card where the magician tells them to; they want to put it back where THEY want to, to assure themselves that the sneaky magician, who they (justifiably) do not trust cannot deceive them and control their card.

In other words, if they do not (1) feel certain they had a free choice of cards, and (2) that the card was not controlled but rather hopelessly lost in the deck, it won't matter how "phenomenal" the ultimate revelation is. The card could end up in the hand of the Statue of Liberty and it won't matter, because the underlying conviction of fairness was not first established. The other thing I should mention is that spectators don't like to be told to "pick a card." Most often they have seen poorly done card tricks by their Uncle Harold or grandfather or some friend or acquaintance that began with that cliche of "pick a card." Sometimes, if you start a trick that way, they will even say, "I've seen that one before." Not good...

So, what do I do to satisfy the criteria I outlined? Well, I will start by giving one of several methods I use that works very well, and is never questioned. First, have them shuffle the deck themselves. This satisfies them that the cards are in a random order, that you could not know, with no set-up, and establishes fairness from the get-go. Then, tell them that you would like them to "select a card at random." Begin to slowly Hindu shuffle the deck, peeling off very small packets, and tell them, "Please say stop anytime you feel like it." When they say "stop," push over, with your left thumb, the top card of the packet of cards remaining in your left hand (assuming you are right-handed). Hold the card up for them to look at, while you turn your head away, and ask them to, "Please memorize that card." Ask them if they've got it? When they say yes, pull the card pack flush onto the packet in your left hand with your left thumb (again, this is assuming you are right-handed). Bring the cards you have in your right hand directly over the left hand packet, and, holding a break over the packet below (i.e. over the packet in your left hand on top of which is their selection). Start Hindu shuffling again and continue shuffling off small packets with the Hindu shuffle until you reach the break and then throw the remaining packet of cards in your right hand on top of all. The selection has been controlled to the top.

Hope this helps!

Dec 29, 2017
I have thought about this question literally for years, and what I have come up with is based on what the best magic teachers in the world have taught me. Who are those teachers? The LAYMEN for whom I have performed. What have I learned. Well, first when having someone select a card, it is super-important that they believe they had a free choice. Second, it is equally important that they are absolutely convince that we are not controlling their card and that it is truly lost in the deck. I have seen renowned "card men" have someone pick a card, then swing cut and tell the spectator to place their card on top of the cut portion, or offer the cut portion to them implying that they are to place their card on top of it. This is not good!!! Why? Because they do not want to replace their card where the magician tells them to; they want to put it back where THEY want to, to assure themselves that the sneaky magician, who they (justifiably) do not trust cannot deceive them and control their card.

In other words, if they do not (1) feel certain they had a free choice of cards, and (2) that the card was not controlled but rather hopelessly lost in the deck, it won't matter how "phenomenal" the ultimate revelation is. The card could end up in the hand of the Statue of Liberty and it won't matter, because the underlying conviction of fairness was not first established. The other thing I should mention is that spectators don't like to be told to "pick a card." Most often they have seen poorly done card tricks by their Uncle Harold or grandfather or some friend or acquaintance that began with that cliche of "pick a card." Sometimes, if you start a trick that way, they will even say, "I've seen that one before." Not good...

So, what do I do to satisfy the criteria I outlined? Well, I will start by giving one of several methods I use that works very well, and is never questioned. First, have them shuffle the deck themselves. This satisfies them that the cards are in a random order, that you could not know, with no set-up, and establishes fairness from the get-go. Then, tell them that you would like them to "select a card at random." Begin to slowly Hindu shuffle the deck, peeling off very small packets, and tell them, "Please say stop anytime you feel like it." When they say "stop," push over, with your left thumb, the top card of the packet of cards remaining in your left hand (assuming you are right-handed). Hold the card up for them to look at, while you turn your head away, and ask them to, "Please memorize that card." Ask them if they've got it? When they say yes, pull the card pack flush onto the packet in your left hand with your left thumb (again, this is assuming you are right-handed). Bring the cards you have in your right hand directly over the left hand packet, and, holding a break over the packet below (i.e. over the packet in your left hand on top of which is their selection). Start Hindu shuffling again and continue shuffling off small packets with the Hindu shuffle until you reach the break and then throw the remaining packet of cards in your right hand on top of all. The selection has been controlled to the top.

Hope this helps!

Excellent point about the spectator being the best teacher. You can almost watch the reaction change if a card is forced using say a waterfall dribble, a riffle, a cut. You are in control and giving the illusion of choice. Probably one of the best products I bought kept drilling use the classic force whenever you can in its instructions. Even if it isn’t necessary. I know this isn’t about forces, but man that is a simple yet powerful addition.

I’m a fan of a double undercut into a false in the handle riffle or tabled zarrow. injogged overhand shuffling using the bottom card as a key card is also pretty satisfactory. With either you can also palm it/cop it and let them shuffle as well. The more shuffling done by others the better (to a reasonable extent) usually when it comes to satiating the notion of losing a card and this deck is indeed mixed up.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Aug 15, 2017
There's really not a "best" card control. It depends on the performer and their skill level. The double undercut is a good one. I use that control more than others.
Thank goodness, I thought I was just being too ''beginner-minded'' by liking the double undercut more than most other controls. :)

Aug 15, 2017
Actually classic pass IS worth learning it. :D
Anyways, double undercut is a pretty good choice.
The trick for ANY control is to make it look natural.
The funny thing is, you don't need to be super skilled at sleight of hand to do your thing in the real world. I have done some controls in the WORST way possible while continuing to look at the spectator's eyes NATURALLY and not like, "Don't look down, look at me, get lost in my eyes" sort of thing.

But the best control?

Just put the card on the top of the deck when spectator is not looking at your hands.
:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results