Decent Place To Start For Card Magic

Mar 8, 2018
I have read some things in some books, such as: Expert Card Techniques, Card manipulations, Encyclopedia of card tricks.

I have come to a consensus that it is hard for me to grasp some of these written concepts, I noticed Foundations by Jason England, and it seems like he teaches most of the stuff in these books.

But the only thing I read in forums is how it is good for the gambling table, well is it a good foundation for card magic as well?

Thank you

Mar 8, 2018
Thank you Gabriel.

I don't know how to edit, or if it's even possible. I watched the video, and I have a decent amount of the books he listed. I will add a few more in my library.

Because you shared his video in my question I feel it's safe to assume that the foundation volumes he offers are decent for card magic.

Like I said, it is hard for me to visually see the concepts from the pages of the book being preformed, but perhaps with a little edge visual wise I can understand what the book is actually saying.

Thanks again.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I don't know how to edit, or if it's even possible. I watched the video, and I have a decent amount of the books he listed. I will add a few more in my library.

Because you shared his video in my question I feel it's safe to assume that the foundation volumes he offers are decent for card magic.

Like I said, it is hard for me to visually see the concepts from the pages of the book being preformed, but perhaps with a little edge visual wise I can understand what the book is actually saying.

Thanks again.

The Foundations series is largely for intermediate to advanced sleight of hand. He doesn't offer a ton in the way of card magic. Mostly he focuses on some of the moves you might find in these books.

Royal Road to Card Magic is always a good place to start for actual routines. Encyclopedia of Card Tricks is amazing, I'm sorry it's hard to understand.

You might try Joshua Jay's Amazing book of cards. It covers a bunch of fundamentals, has a lot of pictures and includes a DVD. It could prove to be very helpful.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I have read some things in some books, such as: Expert Card Techniques, Card manipulations, Encyclopedia of card tricks.

I have come to a consensus that it is hard for me to grasp some of these written concepts, I noticed Foundations by Jason England, and it seems like he teaches most of the stuff in these books.

But the only thing I read in forums is how it is good for the gambling table, well is it a good foundation for card magic as well?

Thank you
Yes, he teaches several 'magic' techniques as well as 'gambling' ones. The videos are available individually as well as bundled. I find they complement my print library well. Search old threads for more discussions of them.

As with everything else, try one and see how you like it. Let us know how it went. If you are only interested in the more magic oriented sleights, then just buy the individual videos as needed.

Mar 7, 2011
My recommendation is Oz Pearlman's lecture Born to Perform Card Magic. It's nearly four hours of the essentials of card work and it teaches routines I still use today when asked to do card magic on the spot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results