Dear Professionals - Your Advice Please - My First Wedding Gig

Dec 7, 2016
Hello to all.

I`m over the moon that I got my first Wedding gig. I`ve been doing well keeping busy with Kids Show and I love doing kids shows, but doing it for adults is my main goal. So as excited as I am, i`m also quite nervous. This is the top of the top when being a professional. So please, if you would share your Do`s and Dont`s when it comes to being a Wedding Magician.

Thank you.

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
Congrats on the wedding gig. I've only had a couple wedding gigs, though they have led to repeat bookings from the clients. I can say that I treated it much like any roving gig for the most part. Though I did give special attention to the couple.

If you can give them a lasting souvenir then that's a plus.
I did OCL for my last one where they both signed a piece of card and then I linked them and gave it to them.

As far as "don't" they usually will give you a timeframe for speeches and such where you shouldn't perform.
Otherwise have fun, and give everyone a great time

Dec 7, 2016
Congrats on the wedding gig. I've only had a couple wedding gigs, though they have led to repeat bookings from the clients. I can say that I treated it much like any roving gig for the most part. Though I did give special attention to the couple.

If you can give them a lasting souvenir then that's a plus.
I did OCL for my last one where they both signed a piece of card and then I linked them and gave it to them.

As far as "don't" they usually will give you a timeframe for speeches and such where you shouldn't perform.
Otherwise have fun, and give everyone a great time
Thank you so much Stu for that. Great Idea about that last effect for the couple. I have a similar thought, just a matter of figuring out how to pull it off. :) Thank again.

Reactions: Stu-pendous
Jul 26, 2016
CONGRATULATIONS!

My humble recommendations:

(1) Dress in a classy suit and tie (solicit the feedback of females as to your choice of suit, shirt, tie and shoes - trust me, they know!) *I wouldn't wear a tux, as you don't want to look like the groom or members of the wedding party;

(2) Tell yourself that this is going to be fun for you (especially the day of, and right before, the event) and that you are going to have fun with the spectators; in other words relax, enjoy and let go of any worries, and they will love you;

(3) Remember less is more - one or maybe two tricks per group (I'm assuming this is a walk around gig). It's a tried and true maxim of Show Biz: "Leave'em wanting more." You can always circle back to people for an encore, time permitting.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You should consider the following:

How many guests are attending? Figure out approximately how much time you'll have at each table.

What is the seating arrangement? 60 inch round tables?

Take 3 sets of 3 (A,B, & C) effects and rotate them as you hit each and every table. Also take one or two hard hitting closers for when there is a big group around you during cocktail hour or towards the end of the evening around the bride and groom.

Typically I only hand out business cards at wedding receptions when people ask me for them. At other gigs I pass them out like crazy.

Remember: YOU are NOT to be the center of attention. It's not your special day. You are there to be making sure guests are having fun in the background.

Do not perform during any speeches...please stop and pay attention to the speaker(s).

Typically I perform during cocktail hour, and when other tables are waiting their turn to go through the buffet (if its set up that way). I also make sure to hit the people who are not dancing and just sitting at tables looking bored and are not brave enough to go hit the dance floor. I don't perform while anyone is eating. I will go wait out in the lobby or use the restroom, get a drink, wash hands, etc.

Another tip: Make friends with the photographer/videographer RIGHT away and exchange business cards. Ask them if they could please email you a few nice actions shots of you performing. :) I do this every time. If they don't seem like they want to: offer up a free bday party show possibly to them for their kids. Works like a charm and you end up with a handful of promotional photos.

Anything else you want to know?

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I have been following your progress since the beginning Graham and honestly have to say I a so proud of how far you have come in just the last 6 months! Keep it up!!!

As for things to do at a wedding. I would keep in mind you are in a strolling type setting with minimal table space so avoid tricks that require a table.

Great ideas to keep in mind are couples or marriage themed tricks like tricks using a borrowed ring, anniversary waltz, even sponge rabbits could work.

Lastly make sure to try to find time to perform something for the newlyweds as well!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
You should consider the following:

How many guests are attending? Figure out approximately how much time you'll have at each table.

What is the seating arrangement? 60 inch round tables?

Take 3 sets of 3 (A,B, & C) effects and rotate them as you hit each and every table. Also take one or two hard hitting closers for when there is a big group around you during cocktail hour or towards the end of the evening around the bride and groom.

Typically I only hand out business cards at wedding receptions when people ask me for them. At other gigs I pass them out like crazy.

Remember: YOU are NOT to be the center of attention. It's not your special day. You are there to be making sure guests are having fun in the background.

Do not perform during any speeches...please stop and pay attention to the speaker(s).

Typically I perform during cocktail hour, and when other tables are waiting their turn to go through the buffet (if its set up that way). I also make sure to hit the people who are not dancing and just sitting at tables looking bored and are not brave enough to go hit the dance floor. I don't perform while anyone is eating. I will go wait out in the lobby or use the restroom, get a drink, wash hands, etc.

Another tip: Make friends with the photographer/videographer RIGHT away and exchange business cards. Ask them if they could please email you a few nice actions shots of you performing. :) I do this every time. If they don't seem like they want to: offer up a free bday party show possibly to them for their kids. Works like a charm and you end up with a handful of promotional photos.

Anything else you want to know?

Gold.

Oh man weddings are the best! Everyone is happy to be there and in a good mood. And when they are assigned seats,ost people are so happy to have a distraction from awkward conversation,and happy to have something to talk about after you leave. So fun.

Dec 7, 2016
Thank you to all who took the time to give there advice to me. Much appreciated. I feel humbled have all these great Magicians helping me. To answer a few more questions. The Bride have booked me to do magic at just the Arrival Reception. Which is going to last 1 hour and 45 minutes. 90-100 guests are attending. So maybe 1-2 tricks per group? @RickEverhart i`m really glad you brought up the photographer, as that really was my next question. I need this promotional photos really bad. For selling myself of course, and just for my website, as its not up due to no proper photo and video content. And giving that I am only booked for the first 1 hour and 45 minutes. I`ll have to make sure I find him fast. I am unsure on how to ask the photographer. Do I simply ask him could he please send me a few free shots of me performing. as in ill pay you back with a free kids show? I was originally going to offer money straight up. As @Al e Cat Dabra was saying to not wear a tux. I`m unsure what a tux is. That is more of an american term? I would be wearing a suit of course at the wedding. It would have the under jacket, making it a 3 piece suit. Would that be a tux? And I did ask the Bride the colors of the wedding. Just so I don`t turn up and end up matching. I`m guessing I should be a little different different from the rest.

I`m going through what best tricks I have for this Wedding in my mind. I do have the classic 3 sets of 3. But due to the background music that will be playing at arrival reception and I don`t want people to have to concentrate so much, nor should I depend on a talk, like one of you guys said. i`m left with 4-5 good tricks. I`ve always liked Wayne Houchin`s French Kiss. Would you guys think it would be an acceptable trick to do in a walk around setting at a wedding? Im not talking about the performance. But the resetting of it? It`s just one extra card per trick. Since you guys have experience in the fast pace walk around style, would this trick be consider slow to reset? All the other tricks I will be doing are instant reset. ACR, Ring To Box, Sponge Ball and Invisible Deck.

Jul 26, 2016
@GrahmHorgan: A "tux" is an abbreviation for "tuxedo," which is a very formal and specialized type of suit, traditionally worn (at least in the U.S.) by the groom and male members of the wedding party. It is also frequently worn at proms and very prominent events such as the Emmy awards, or upscale charity events. A tuxedo is usually, although not always, black, and generally (but again, not always) a bow tie, fancy ruffled shirt with cufflinks, a vest, and patent leather shoes, are worn with it.

I have worn tuxedos in the past when working a fancy dinner or party, but rarely do anymore. It's kind of old school now. For a while, I was known for wearing a formal white dinner jacket, and a festive red vest (underjacket) with the black tuxedo trousers (as opposed to the more traditional black jacket, with satin lapels, associated with formal wear). It became kind of a trademark for me, and people must have really liked the outfit, because party planners would often ask me to be sure to wear it when booking me for special events.

I don't believe that the kind of suit you were referring to in your post would be a tuxedo, but rather what Americans call a 3-piece suit.

BTW, here is an example of a tux (tuxedo):
upload_2018-3-15_8-12-44.jpeg

Best of luck to you at the event!

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
I`ve always liked Wayne Houchin`s French Kiss. Would you guys think it would be an acceptable trick to do in a walk around setting at a wedding? Im not talking about the performance. But the resetting of it? It`s just one extra card per trick. Deck.

French kiss is one of my faves to walk around, especially for noisy places. When I do it I have one of my pockets filled with my setup. I'll do one crowd, dump the signed cards and reset on my way to the next group.

As far as the photographer. Definitely don't be afraid to offer payment for shots. As said before, it's the couple's day so the photographer shouldn't feel pressure to follow you around.
But if it we're me, I'd get thier details and say that if they got any shots with me in them that I'd be willing to pay for them to pass them on.

I've been lucky in my gigs that the bride on each night just sent me shots in an email for me. I didn't even have to ask for them.
Another option is (with the couple's permission of course) bring your own photographer that can focus entirely on you and your work. Whether it's a professional photographer or even just a friend there to take reaction shots and such.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Dec 7, 2016
@GrahmHorgan: A "tux" is an abbreviation for "tuxedo," which is a very formal and specialized type of suit, traditionally worn (at least in the U.S.) by the groom and male members of the wedding party. It is also frequently worn at proms and very prominent events such as the Emmy awards, or upscale charity events. A tuxedo is usually, although not always, black, and generally (but again, not always) a bow tie, fancy ruffled shirt with cufflinks, a vest, and patent leather shoes, are worn with it.

I have worn tuxedos in the past when working a fancy dinner or party, but rarely do anymore. It's kind of old school now. For a while, I was known for wearing a formal white dinner jacket, and a festive red vest (underjacket) with the black tuxedo trousers (as opposed to the more traditional black jacket, with satin lapels, associated with formal wear). It became kind of a trademark for me, and people must have really liked the outfit, because party planners would often ask me to be sure to wear it when booking me for special events.

I don't believe that the kind of suit you were referring to in your post would be a tuxedo, but rather what Americans call a 3-piece suit.

BTW, here is an example of a tux (tuxedo):
View attachment 3472

Best of luck to you at the event!
Hi Al e Cat Dabra

Sorry I`m late in replying. Just wanted to say thank you for explaining that to me. I do know what you were talking about now. And I find that really cool as how it became kind of a trademark for you. Im happy to hear that. Defines you from others.

Dec 7, 2016
French kiss is one of my faves to walk around, especially for noisy places. When I do it I have one of my pockets filled with my setup. I'll do one crowd, dump the signed cards and reset on my way to the next group.

As far as the photographer. Definitely don't be afraid to offer payment for shots. As said before, it's the couple's day so the photographer shouldn't feel pressure to follow you around.
But if it we're me, I'd get thier details and say that if they got any shots with me in them that I'd be willing to pay for them to pass them on.

I've been lucky in my gigs that the bride on each night just sent me shots in an email for me. I didn't even have to ask for them.
Another option is (with the couple's permission of course) bring your own photographer that can focus entirely on you and your work. Whether it's a professional photographer or even just a friend there to take reaction shots and such.
Hey Stu.

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks for the tip. I`l just have one pocket full of the set for French Kiss and reset and i move to the next group.

I think I will take your approach on asking the photographer if he has any shots of me, ill pay for them. Thanks for that. But I am very interested in asking the Bride and Groom would it be ok if I have a photographer with me. If they seem uncomfortable at all, thats no problem. It won`t happen. But to have my own photographer, it would be amazing. Is this common to bring in your own photographer?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey Stu.

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks for the tip. I`l just have one pocket full of the set for French Kiss and reset and i move to the next group.

I think I will take your approach on asking the photographer if he has any shots of me, ill pay for them. Thanks for that. But I am very interested in asking the Bride and Groom would it be ok if I have a photographer with me. If they seem uncomfortable at all, thats no problem. It won`t happen. But to have my own photographer, it would be amazing. Is this common to bring in your own photographer?
I have taken my own photographer to big events and have never had a problem, but I am always up front with the event planner and tell them. I've not once been told no. At a wedding.....hmmmm....it might look tacky to have your own photographer, but that's just my honest opinion.

Dec 7, 2016
I have taken my own photographer to big events and have never had a problem, but I am always up front with the event planner and tell them. I've not once been told no. At a wedding.....hmmmm....it might look tacky to have your own photographer, but that's just my honest opinion.
Thanks Rick. I agree. It does look tacky. But since you said you have done it I feel more comfortable asking. And the event planner, that would be the Bride and Groom too? I'll say it to them today. I'll explain that I am building a website and would love to feature some photos and videos on it. Would something like that seem ok when saying it to the Bride and Groom today?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Thanks Rick. I agree. It does look tacky. But since you said you have done it I feel more comfortable asking. And the event planner, that would be the Bride and Groom too? I'll say it to them today. I'll explain that I am building a website and would love to feature some photos and videos on it. Would something like that seem ok when saying it to the Bride and Groom today?

When I say other big events I am talking about basically everything except weddings. I still don't know if I'd take my own photographer to a wedding. I never have, but it wouldn't hurt to try and ask the bride and groom just like you said. Be up front an honest and say it's to help you build your business and are they okay with that.

Another thing you can run into is people who may not want to their photo/themselves be on a website or Facebook.
For example: if you post a picture of you performing for a group of kids, however, if one of those kids is with Foster parents and they don't wan't the real parent to know where they are located...that can be a big issue. Just be careful with things like that.

Mar 26, 2018
Hi :) nice to meet you all. Anyway, guys just wondering if you are in need of someone who can document your wedding/important event in Shanghai, China? I know a great team who can cater to the photo/video needs. Checkout their offers here: recquixit.com

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results