Learned Pig, Tarko the Great, and Public Domain Magic Books

Jan 1, 2018
Hi all,

]If you don't want to read this entire post, there's a red, boldfaced question toward the bottom that tells what I'm looking for.]

Perhaps I'm a purist. Maybe I'm dragging some of my physical book collecting hangups over to my e-book collecting. Regardless, I seem to be flummoxed by "free" magic ebook collections that repackage public domain magic books. These sites frequently don't host original scans of the books, but rather HTML versions, many of which have been converted to PDF through unreliable means. I don't want the HTML versions, I want the original versions.

Here's an example. I go to the Learned Pig Project site, hosted by Lybrary.com. (Register, free, and you'll get access). There, I can get Jean Hugard's Mental Magic with Cards, or even all of Hugard's works on one CD. My sticking point is that the individual book is typical of most of the books on the site: They aren't scanned PDFs or other copies of the original book. Instead, they are HTML versions produced by Lybrary.com or by the mysterious Tarko the Great. My brief look at the book dates make me think that everything is public domain.

It seems to me that producing these HTML books would require a scan of the original books, which implies that such a scan exists somewhere. There are line drawings in most of these HTML books, and my guess is that they come from a scan rather than being re-drawn. But even with my (IMHO) advanced mastery of the Google Search syntax, I'm having a lot of trouble finding these original texts. I'm asking for help on that. I want to find the original PDFs.

One great site for finding old PDFs is The Internet Archive. There, I've found a few. They also sponsor a lending library in conjunction with The Open Library Project, which allows you to check out books in DRM-protected Adobe Digital Editions PDFs. It's trivial to remove the DRM, which has given me some of the books I'm looking for.

But it seems to me that the original books should be available somewhere, and I am at a loss on where to find them. True, the HTML versions give me the information, but my experience is that the files contain errors, and they are clearly from scanned books that have been run through OCR software. I wound up ordering a copy of Encyclopedia of Card Tricks because the Tarko the Great version was so flawed.

And that doesn't even consider products like the aforementioned Hugard's Collected Works. Everything on the list is in the public domain (excepting, of course, reprints by Dover or EZMagic, which are probably not the versions being sold). Yet Lybrary is asking $80 for the collection. Shouldn't I be able to find most of these myself? In areas of my life aside from magic, the internet is festooned with original versions of books. I can find Proust in many editions and languages for free, yet his magic-producing contemporary's books are hard to find. Frustrating.

So, fellow followers of léger de main and presto-digit-action, do you know of any sources for the original PDFs of the Learned Pig catalog? I've found lots of public domain books that aren't on the list, but these really nice books are eluding me. Any help is appreciated, and I'd be happy to put the public domain books in an easily accessible location for easy harvesting.

Thanks for reading,

lc

P.-S. Here's what I'm not interested in: materials that shouldn't be online. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found, e.g., PDF versions of Harry Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic or Paul Harris's SuperMagic. Nor am I the first to find the almost limitless supply of illegal videos available from torrent sites. Please don't ask how I found them, or for assistance in getting them. As a published author myself, I have fairly strong opinions on copyright and its infringement. What I want are the originals of the public domain books that populate sites like the Pig Project,

Dec 29, 2017
You can always get into contact with Chris (I believe) it is from Lybrary’s support and ask him as he might be able to help you. Having curated all of that I imagine he has some suggestions. Beyond that, I’d guess you’re at wherever scouring the web can take you.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Here's the rub... to make reliable scanned versions of public domain books requires equipment and time. The people who do that want to be rewarded for their equipment and time. Lybrary.com and Conjuring Arts Research Center have very good PDFs of magic books BUT they cost money to purchase them. Many of those books are public domain, some of them are published with permission.

The Learned Pig Project was an attempt to scan in public domain magic books. The original site was password protected and to get a password you had to e-mail Marko explaining your knowledge of magic. There were some security issues with the site and Marko didn't have the time or money to keep the site going. Lybrary.com acquired the rights to Learned Pig Project and made it free to subscribers. There is a lot of great material there. It is not as convenient as physical books and the books in HTML format is not as convenient as PDFs. But it is FREE! There are some books there that are hard to find in print (e.g. Hugard's Magic Monthly).

With some searching, you can find some amazing public domain books in PDF format. Expert at the Card Table, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, T. Nelson Downs Art of Magic, Devant's Our Magic, the Original Tarbell Series, Royal Road to Card Magic and the Jinx are examples.

Jan 1, 2018
I do appreciate the work that they’ve done in compiling the work. I’m a bit of a para pod about books and books sites, having more than once had a source for a book and it disappearing. So, I started collecting the PDFs myself, and was hoping to do the same for these—with no offense meant to Lybrary.com. $80 might be a bit high for a CD of public domain stuff, but they know their margins and I don’t.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
with no offense meant to Lybrary.com. $80 might be a bit high for a CD of public domain stuff, but they know their margins and I don’t.

If you are talking about the Hugard DVD, it isn't a bad price for 20+ books. Most of the books are around $5 to $15 (including some that you have to find used because they are out of print), that would be about right for a PDF version at around 50% of the print version. The quality of the scans are typically pretty good. Also, a lot of that stuff is hard to find because it is out of print.

My rule is I buy a physical book unless it is unavailable. I've found the stuff from Lybrary.Com, Conjuring Arts and L&L (which has OOP books that are not public domain in PDF format) to be pretty good.

Reactions: leecreighton

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Everything on the list is in the public domain (excepting, of course, reprints by Dover or EZMagic, which are probably not the versions being sold). Yet Lybrary is asking $80 for the collection. Shouldn't I be able to find most of these myself? In areas of my life aside from magic, the internet is festooned with original versions of books. I can find Proust in many editions and languages for free, yet his magic-producing contemporary's books are hard to find. Frustrating.

So, fellow followers of léger de main and presto-digit-action, do you know of any sources for the original PDFs of the Learned Pig catalog? I've found lots of public domain books that aren't on the list, but these really nice books are eluding me. Any help is appreciated, and I'd be happy to put the public domain books in an easily accessible location for easy harvesting.

No, the reprints by Dover are public domain. Dover is primarily a Public Domain publisher. Just because a book is in the public domain doesn't mean that someone has digitized it. Even then it is up to the person who digitizes it if they want to make available for free. As the digitized version is their own new creative work. Which in turn they can copyright if they so choose.

Bill Mullins said:
Lybrary.com does an ebook of a public domain magic book, like Erdnase. Chris Wasshuber doesn't owe anyone any royalties to produce his ebook version, because the original text is public domain. However, his ebook is a new creative work, and the copyright clock starts ticking (and if Disney and the congress have their way, will never stop ticking) on the ebook as soon as Chris does it. The ebook is a new copyrighted work, belonging to Wasshuber/Lybrary.com, and he controls its reproduction and distribution. Since all ebooks have to be newer than 75 years old (you have to go back about that far to find works that are public domain), they are all copyrighted unless they have specifically placed into the public domain (donated) by their respective owners (the Gutenberg project falls into this category).

Yes, themagicwiki.com has some of them. You can find the original mail order Tarbell Course at the magicbunny.co.uk .

Jan 1, 2018
No, the reprints by Dover are public domain. Dover is primarily a Public Domain publisher. Just because a book is in the public domain doesn't mean that someone has digitized it. Even then it is up to the person who digitizes it if they want to make available for free. As the digitized version is their own new creative work. Which in turn they can copyright if they so choose.

Yes, themagicwiki.com has some of them. You can find the original mail order Tarbell Course at the magicbunny.co.uk .

Thanks ID4. That's good information.

I've found several of the dover editions on The Internet Archive (archive.org) Open Library, and I found several versions of the Tarbell course in my looking around.

The Magic Bunny site just gives me a "Coming Soon" screen. Is there another way in?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results