That one in 52 chance...

Dec 29, 2017
Had a funny moment today. Was genuinely trying to lose a spectator’s card for a reveal elsewhere after going through the top few cards a la magician in peril. Riffle, cut, riffle offer to let them cut.. and what do you know. It’s the first card off the top and they’re impressed. “I didn’t even see any sleight of hand!” Made me chuckle. The dumb luck control.

I also occasionally open with a think of any card and pull out one from my pocket, have yet to get a hit there.

Has chance ever made your trick more interesting? Fail?

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
In the past I would open a routine with a think of a card, check the top card style thing. When it hit I would just walk because I couldn't top it. people were blown away.

If it didn't I'd say "that would have been good but let me show you something better!"

It hit a few times and people would just be blown away.

B

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I've experimented with a trick using the 52 on 1 gaff card that has a seven of hearts on the other side.

I would ask them to just name a card, not an Ace or a Queen because they're too obvious. Sometimes I would get lucky and they'll name the seven, but whatever the case was I would do the gag, "Would you be impressed if I had your card in my pocket right now?" and pull put the gaff and say "it's somewhere on here maybe you can help me find it." Get's a huge laugh, and even if I don't nail it, they know I was just kidding around with them. If they say the seven I still do the line and make a joke about the impossibility of it while carelessly, yet obviously, flashing the seven of hearts on the back.

I love the reaction this gets, even if it only hits occasionally.

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
If I'm having them sign a card I will almost always try to take it out before they choose. "Just think of a card that represents you as a person" the hit rate with ladies picking a queen of hearts or diamonds is amazing. If I'm wrong with the suite they never care they just see the queen and tell everyone that was thier card. Always a great feeling.

Jul 26, 2016
Those are some great ideas guys!

I have a little gag I like to do as an opener to doing some card tricks. I hand the deck to someone, and ask them to look at the cards to be sure they're all different. When they confirm this, I turn my body and head away, close my eyes, stick out my hand palm up, and ask them to place any card face down into my hand. Let's assume it's the 4 of spades. With my head and body still turned completely away, I ask: "Would you be amazed if I could tell you what that card is?" Of course, they say yes. Soon as they do, I turn around, pick up the card off my hand, look at it and say, "Four of Spades!" (or whatever the card happens to be). Gets a great laugh. Loosens them up and makes them drop any defenses they may have had up. I haven't done anything really, but already they are having fun and on my side.

Reactions: RealityOne

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Yup. Dropped the entire deck but managed to catch one card lol asked them to think of any card they named the 4 of Hearts. I slowly turned it over and it was the 4 of Hearts. I just handed it to them and walked away lol has never happened again since.

Reactions: JarrettC2
Jul 28, 2015
Lol!! I remember one time I was performing an Acaan routine and I'm pretty sure that the spectator messed up somewhere along the way or it could've been me who now's... The card was the 9S and the position 25, they count and surprise wrong card, I didn't make a big deal out of didn't have any outs nothing the thing is I wait a beat and genuinely ask for the time not knowing what it was, they look at me and say... 9:25... I didn't realize or make much of it until they go CRAZY!! then I was like OMG!! LMAO... I just smiled and walked away... xD

Reactions: JarrettC2
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results