Your Definition of Magic ??

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Magic to me means the ability to devote time to something you would not otherwise spend time doing. Most of us have jobs, we go to school, or we are doing something that doesn't relate to a particular skill set. Since there is no right or wrong answer to me magic is a pie chart comprised of 75% Up The Ladder Cuts 25% Card Tricks in general. So that means that on any given day I would like my time to be divided up as such. This April 26th I would have been a member of the Theory11.com community for 5 years. I practice my cuts every morning or when I am not doing chores around the house. I am showing some improvement but I think I still have a ways to go. My recent activity on my Up The Ladder Cuts can be found here. I think that everyone can get to a high level in there respective craft if they devote enough time to it. Stay Positive. .

Magic to me means the ability to devote time to something you would not otherwise spend time doing. Most of us have jobs, we go to school, or we are doing something that doesn't relate to a particular skill set. Since there is no right or wrong answer to me magic is a pie chart comprised of 75% Up The Ladder Cuts 25% Card Tricks in general. So that means that on any given day I would like my time to be divided up as such. This April 26th I would have been a member of the Theory11.com community for 5 years. I practice my cuts every morning or when I am not doing chores around the house. I am showing some improvement but I think I still have a ways to go. My recent activity on my Up The Ladder Cuts can be found here. I think that everyone can get to a high level in there respective craft if they devote enough time to it. Stay Positive. .
Wow, Gabriel, that was an incredible interpretation. I never would have thought of it like that in a million years. Much respect to you keep staying strong !!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jul 26, 2016
How about - Magic - a visual language that can be spoken anywhere in the world.

That's a good one - VERY good! It's amazing to think that we have learned (and are continuing to learn) a form of communication that has no language barriers and with which we can speak and move people, entertain them or put a smile on their face, irrespective of ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender or political viewpoint. That's powerful!

That's a good one - VERY good! It's amazing to think that we have learned (and are continuing to learn) a form of communication that has no language barriers and with which we can speak and move people, entertain them or put a smile on their face, irrespective of ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender or political viewpoint. That's powerful!
Amen, thx Al e Cat

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Dec 29, 2017
For me. It is a little convoluted. P&T’s Don’t Try This At Home made me check out my local magic shop. I walked out with an overpriced Svengali deck, an overpriced (not sure what kind of deck. It’s a rough/smooth deck with blank facers. Vanishing deck might have been its name?) and a very overpriced cheap Scotch and Soda with a VHS on how to perform it.

Handful of years down the line I was flipping through YouTube and I recognized something on ScamSchool and that sparked it to where it is now.

So I’d say magic is the use of misdirection and artifice to create a sense of wonderment in others. To make that one person go home and finally hit buy on that 100 easy card tricks book he’s been letting sit in his amazon cart for a year. It can also serve to evoke different feelings, like spooky magic but still. That suspension of disbelief is where the money is at.

For me. It is a little convoluted. P&T’s Don’t Try This At Home made me check out my local magic shop. I walked out with an overpriced Svengali deck, an overpriced (not sure what kind of deck. It’s a rough/smooth deck with blank facers. Vanishing deck might have been its name?) and a very overpriced cheap Scotch and Soda with a VHS on how to perform it.

Handful of years down the line I was flipping through YouTube and I recognized something on ScamSchool and that sparked it to where it is now.

So I’d say magic is the use of misdirection and artifice to create a sense of wonderment in others. To make that one person go home and finally hit buy on that 100 easy card tricks book he’s been letting sit in his amazon cart for a year. It can also serve to evoke different feelings, like spooky magic but still. That suspension of disbelief is where the money is at.
Wow Imbrjack,
That's definitely one story I haven't heard yet of how one for into magic, lol. At least you know now what a product is worth huh ?? Obviously I know P&T, and actually seem them perform here in Atlantic City years ago ........I never heard of that show though, Im not a fan of cable here. Anyway, thanks for sharing bud. Hope you're enjoying your weekend

Dec 29, 2017
Wow Imbrjack,
That's definitely one story I haven't heard yet of how one for into magic, lol. At least you know now what a product is worth huh ?? Obviously I know P&T, and actually seem them perform here in Atlantic City years ago ........I never heard of that show though, Im not a fan of cable here. Anyway, thanks for sharing bud. Hope you're enjoying your weekend

It was a special they did that went through a lot of their classics. I think it opened it up to me due to the fact that they quasi reveal things. It went from “?!?” to “Ooooh”. ScamSchool is a now YouTube based show hosted by Brian Brushwood based on bar bets, tricks and puzzles. Card tricks you could do effortlessly after a few drinks and the like.

You too!

It was a special they did that went through a lot of their classics. I think it opened it up to me due to the fact that they quasi reveal things. It went from “?!?” to “Ooooh”. ScamSchool is a now YouTube based show hosted by Brian Brushwood based on bar bets, tricks and puzzles. Card tricks you could do effortlessly after a few drinks and the like.

You too!
Yes, scam school I do watch, and enjoy certain episodes by them. Cool show for sure there. I heard P&T, kind of gets shunned by the brotherhood cause of them revealing certain things............ To me in this age of technology, if people want to find out something bad enough, they will regardless.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
No right or wrong answers here just curious in your eyes what does the word "Magic" mean to you ?? Is it a skill? A feeling ? Let me know !!
Darwin Ortiz has some very helpful things to say about this in his excellent book Designing Miracles, which is all about the design of magic effects.

In his view, magic is about creating the illusion of something impossible.

I think that's a great way of looking at it. When you present your audience that seems logically impossible, and where they can think of no logical explanation for what they see, they will be amazed and say "No way! But you didn't do anything!" That is what you are striving to create, and that's magic!

Darwin Ortiz has some very helpful things to say about this in his excellent book Designing Miracles, which is all about the design of magic effects.

In his view, magic is about creating the illusion of something impossible.

I think that's a great way of looking at it. When you present your audience that seems logically impossible, and where they can think of no logical explanation for what they see, they will be amazed and say "No way! But you didn't do anything!" That is what you are striving to create, and that's magic!
Holy crap, if that wasn't so long I'd have it on a plaque on my wall, lol. Well said buddy ....... That's one of the best definitions that I've heard yet.

Jan 2, 2016
California

Little off topic but I believe the blank facer deck is known as a "Mental Photography Deck". Just thought I'd mention that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results