• Strictly just a hit and miss company

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
That's it I want a very reasonable nice and clean discussion talking about your opinions. The positives, the negatives,And everything in between. I'm just curious about the general view of them.

RickU

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2013
I read whenever someone has bought something from SM and it fails for whatever reason...it seems to attract soooo many comments from people who’ve had similar experiences with SM = mainly negative reviews

I take things like that with a punch of salt except...we’ll...I was burned by them too

It’s not so much just the products that let SM down I feel - but mostly it’s their abhorrent customer service.

They will do everything (in my experience) to ensure they’re in the right and definitely will not go the extra mile to retain customer satisfaction.

They’ll get you to spend more money to sort out a problem that’s actually their own fault and then cut communication

I’ve worked a long time myself in customer service and I can tell you now they have the worst

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
I've had positive and negative results with them, when they brought out vapr it was great, and I had lots of fun with it, there is the positive. Then part of it broke and I asked if I could have an individual part replaced. But at that time they didn't do that.

So my unit gathered dust and slowly died. And now they do sell the individual parts. So that definitely runner me the wrong way.

Reactions: 010rusty
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've had positive and negative results with them, when they brought out vapr it was great, and I had lots of fun with it, there is the positive. Then part of it broke and I asked if I could have an individual part replaced. But at that time they didn't do that.

So my unit gathered dust and slowly died. And now they do sell the individual parts. So that definitely runner me the wrong way.
My Vapr kinda only works when it wants to. But when it does, the smoke is beautiful. I want to do the E-cig upgrade in the future so the smoke volume is more consistent though.

Anyway, as a whole, SansMinds makes very cool looking tricks. They give them super flashy trailers that are heavily edited to disguise the fact that the trick is pretty impractical irl. From what I can tell, most of their tricks do work as advertised but are better suited for videos than actual live performances.

Mar 4, 2018
Chris Ramsay said something about how those can be great for advertising yourself as a magician. Like through social media and stuff.
I completely disagree with that statement. As Franz Harary said in his Penguin Not-So-Live Lecture 2 that there is nothing wrong with camera tricks as long as you can replicate them in real life. Imagine someone comes across a video of you doing Imprint for instance and wants you to perform that specific trick for whatever reason they may have at an event. Your options would be to either tell them it's just a camera trick which makes it look like you are false advertising yourself or you can risk performing Imprint in person and look foolish live. Either situation I personally would want to avoid.

The best form of advertising myself is highlighting people reacting to my shows. Showing people smiling, laughing, or looking stunned is the best way to advertise what you are selling; you as a quality entertainer that can get the job done for event planners looking to hire. I've gotten a lot more bookings and notoriety based on audience reaction videos than I ever have doing a flashy trick to a camera.

And before you ask, yes I have had specific effects requested by people that they wanted me to perform. Namely more big stage appearance stuff but nevertheless there is always a chance the same could happen for whatever you are trying to advertise yourself as. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Mar 4, 2018
That's it I want a very reasonable nice and clean discussion talking about your opinions. The positives, the negatives,And everything in between. I'm just curious about the general view of them.
I'm a bit curious by your poll question. You asked if SansMinds is good or evil but the responses were yes, no, in the middle, or strictly hit or miss. What do you mean by yes and no for the answers?

Jan 2, 2016
California
I completely disagree with that statement. As Franz Harary said in his Penguin Not-So-Live Lecture 2 that there is nothing wrong with camera tricks as long as you can replicate them in real life. Imagine someone comes across a video of you doing Imprint for instance and wants you to perform that specific trick for whatever reason they may have at an event. Your options would be to either tell them it's just a camera trick which makes it look like you are false advertising yourself or you can risk performing Imprint in person and look foolish live. Either situation I personally would want to avoid.

The best form of advertising myself is highlighting people reacting to my shows. Showing people smiling, laughing, or looking stunned is the best way to advertise what you are selling; you as a quality entertainer that can get the job done for event planners looking to hire. I've gotten a lot more bookings and notoriety based on audience reaction videos than I ever have doing a flashy trick to a camera.

And before you ask, yes I have had specific effects requested by people that they wanted me to perform. Namely more big stage appearance stuff but nevertheless there is always a chance the same could happen for whatever you are trying to advertise yourself as. Just my two cents.
That's a good point. But I feel like most people getting hired for stuff should be able to perform live effects that are more impressive and have more substance than the purely visual ones on their social media. Like sure something like "imprint" is nice to look at, but I've found that most people are more impressed by something that happens right in front of them or in their own hands.

Just my opinion though.

Mar 15, 2019
I read whenever someone has bought something from SM and it fails for whatever reason...it seems to attract soooo many comments from people who’ve had similar experiences with SM = mainly negative reviews

I take things like that with a punch of salt except...we’ll...I was burned by them too

It’s not so much just the products that let SM down I feel - but mostly it’s their abhorrent customer service.

They will do everything (in my experience) to ensure they’re in the right and definitely will not go the extra mile to retain customer satisfaction.

They’ll get you to spend more money to sort out a problem that’s actually their own fault and then cut communication

I’ve worked a long time myself in customer service and I can tell you now they have the worst

Shocking customer service. Cancelled my order and did not return/refund my money. It's been about 2 weeks now and over 10 emails later and no response/no reply. Unbelievable.

Mar 15, 2019
Shocking customer service. Cancelled my order and did not return/refund my money. It's been about 2 weeks now and over 10 emails later and no response/no reply. Unbelievable.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign

If this is the case, if it's in Paypal, open a disupte claim. Credit card, same thing.

In either case, since this was a thread that hasn't been responded to in about a year, it's probably going to get locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results