Double Lift Convincers

Jan 31, 2018
What are some double lift convincers?
For example: the Jones change double convincer, a Stuart Gordon double etc.

Aug 15, 2017
What are some double lift convincers?
For example: the Jones change double convincer, a Stuart Gordon double etc.
You sir, read my mind. I was JUST gonna post this question :)

But to give my personal opinion, well, I guess what @ChristopherT said actually goes a long way. After all, true art holds a mirror to nature.
There's something I wanna 'add' (it is actually an overlapping suggestion to the ones already made). Don't make a big deal out of it, because in effect, you are just turning over a card...why try to enhance it??? And also, don't make your grip look tensed, as if the mother-of-sleights is being executed by you at that moment.

But of course, the best convincer would be that
*drumroll*

Take care that the cards don't split.

:D

But I just wanted to add a question...

What are some of the flashy convincers out there that LOOK like 'one' card flourishes basically?

I know, I know. Such a move will go exactly opposite to the advice of being natural...but such moves actually aid the illusion sometimes (I am thinking about the Bertram Change).

Just saying, I know about Paul Harris' (popularised by David Blaine) Instant Replay. If that's a kind of move someone was looking for...your welcome :)

But anymore suggestions pls?

Just act like nothing's going on and just go through the trick. I did notice though I was having a problem because I was using the double lift straight through like 5 tricks in a row. It's good to change your method up so suspicions does not arouse. Currently I'm finding that the top change is an excellent move that I have to get down better. So sometimes when I do a few tricks I'llI'll do one that uses the DL, one with TC, and one self working, mentalism trick. Hope this helps, - Ry

Jan 31, 2018
You sir, read my mind. I was JUST gonna post this question :)

But to give my personal opinion, well, I guess what @ChristopherT said actually goes a long way. After all, true art holds a mirror to nature.
There's something I wanna 'add' (it is actually an overlapping suggestion to the ones already made). Don't make a big deal out of it, because in effect, you are just turning over a card...why try to enhance it??? And also, don't make your grip look tensed, as if the mother-of-sleights is being executed by you at that moment.

But of course, the best convincer would be that
*drumroll*

Take care that the cards don't split.

:D

But I just wanted to add a question...

What are some of the flashy convincers out there that LOOK like 'one' card flourishes basically?

I know, I know. Such a move will go exactly opposite to the advice of being natural...but such moves actually aid the illusion sometimes (I am thinking about the Bertram Change).

Just saying, I know about Paul Harris' (popularised by David Blaine) Instant Replay. If that's a kind of move someone was looking for...your welcome :)

But anymore suggestions pls?

Exactly. I'm afraid the readers aren't getting my question, and I'm sorry for the lack of clarity of my question. I totally agree with you in that double lifts or any secret subterfuges should seem completely natural and that flourishes don't usually go very well when used as a non-visual sleight. The reason I asked this question was not to make my double lift more convincing (I guess the word "convincer" is a bit of a misnomer); I want some single card flourishes that would work with a double, like the Jones change double.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh. Yeah, that's a totally different thing than a "convincer". That's a flourish.

Can't help you there. I'm in the "flourishes reduce the magic" school of thought.

Reactions: Karo-K54
Jan 31, 2018
I think that a flourish showing that something is a single card has the effect of showing that you are trying to show that you have a single card which means you don't have a single card because you wouldn't have to show you had a single card if you actually did.
Not really. The flourish may be just a casual move. It's not like you are saying "Hey, see how this is so obviously only one card?"
Can't help you there. I'm in the "flourishes reduce the magic" school of thought.
I totally respect that. It does reduce the magic if you flourish too much, or even if you just bust out some move even once. But sometimes you could flourish in a comical way that will preserve the magic. Also, a if I'm doing a visual colour change like the snap change or the Bertram change, I think it's okay to give a bit of a visual flourish, because the thing they're going to see is anyway going to be visual. It's my concept, and I don't know whether I'm right, but I wish to try it out.

Reactions: Theorist19
Jul 30, 2015
No flourishes. No fancy moves. No odd methods of turning over the double. (I've seen some people use bizarre methods of turning over doubles which they use only because they can't do a proper double. Don't be that person.) A common "flourish" is to bend the double and flick it as if to telegraph that it's a single card. Nobody turns a single card over in that manner. (The move can help to make a bad double look better. Bending it helps. But it's the cheap way out.) Turn the card over just like you would a single. Yes, this means you have to practice your double a lot more. The fact is that a double-lift is not a trivial sleight.

For the most part, I stand by this advice. But if you can make a fancy move not look like a fancy move, you might want to opt for a fancy move. One example of such might be a so-called soft-double.

Apr 26, 2013
Exactly. I'm afraid the readers aren't getting my question, and I'm sorry for the lack of clarity of my question. I totally agree with you in that double lifts or any secret subterfuges should seem completely natural and that flourishes don't usually go very well when used as a non-visual sleight. The reason I asked this question was not to make my double lift more convincing (I guess the word "convincer" is a bit of a misnomer); I want some single card flourishes that would work with a double, like the Jones change double.
I understand your question and have an answer. Check out Fancy Change by Dan and Dave Buck. Published in a booklet called Card Men and a video I found on Art of Magic, now part of Vanishing Inc. Fancy Change is really a flourish/color change the uses a center double. During the explanation of the flourish Dan describes a move by Juan Tamariz, a double lift unload. When you turn the double from face up to face down, the top card never comes flush with the deck. It is truly a convincer that you only turned one card. Please follow the advice of others in this thread, do the same move when you turn a single card. And if they have other DL unloads I would like to know also.

Apr 26, 2013
I understand your question and have an answer. Check out Fancy Change by Dan and Dave Buck. Published in a booklet called Card Men and a video I found on Art of Magic, now part of Vanishing Inc. Fancy Change is really a flourish/color change the uses a center double. During the explanation of the flourish Dan describes a move by Juan Tamariz, a double lift unload. When you turn the double from face up to face down, the top card never comes flush with the deck. It is truly a convincer that you only turned one card. Please follow the advice of others in this thread, do the same move when you turn a single card. And if they have other DL unloads I would like to know also.
And another double lift replacement; Ascanio's Double Lift replacement described on page 308 in Roberto Giobbi's book Hidden Agenda. He also credits other sources. These actions would need justification with script. And would not fit the criteria of making the double look the same as a single, so limited use. But it does convince you turned only one card.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results