If you had to share one powerful card effect to a beginner, what would it be?

Dec 29, 2017
I thought about it a decent amount before posting this thread. There are loads of great tricks for the beginner. Variations of the 4 aces, triumphs, torn and restored... the list could go on and on. What would you suggest and why?

After weighing in reactions and effort... I ended up going with your torn corner/angle zero style effect. For me it satisfies the senses. There is the physical tear, there is the audible sound of such, there is the visuals of it disappearing and appearing somewhere impossible. The spectator can touch it and match it. Of course most importantly, it has room to grow into various more impactful versions. (For example the sandwich version by Justin Miller I want to say?)

It’s a tough choice and there are a lot of options.

Jul 30, 2015
What is the point of showing this trick to a beginner? If the point is to get them interested in card magic and provide some confidence in performing it, I absolutely would not show them a trick that involves a double-lift, since that is a non-trivial sleight. If the point is to amaze them, then pick any good effect. Your question is not clear.

Dec 29, 2017
What is the point of showing this trick to a beginner? If the point is to get them interested in card magic and provide some confidence in performing it, I absolutely would not show them a trick that involves a double-lift, since that is a non-trivial sleight. If the point is to amaze them, then pick any good effect. Your question is not clear.

I just noticed the "to learn" part of the title didn't make it. Yay using mobile when I posted that. Essentially what effect would share with a beginner for them to learn. It's a little vague and I apologize.

Jul 30, 2015
I just noticed the "to learn" part of the title didn't make it. Yay using mobile when I posted that. Essentially what effect would share with a beginner for them to learn. It's a little vague and I apologize.

I figured that's what you might have been after. ;-)

Personally, I'd suggest a reasonably powerful effect that is largely self-working. The important point is to ensure that no interesting sleight of hand is required. I'd say that "Gemini Twins" probably fills that bill.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Gemini twins os quite powerful. As is any effect where they can deal out the 4 aces. I’d teach them how to ruffle shuffle the deck but retain the top stock (even just the top 4-5 cards is enough to perform an awesome 4 ACE reveal.)

Just learning a top stock retention opens doors to sooooo many types of tricks. When I first got started I stacked blackjack hands and bet my friends I could win. I’d shuffle and then deal out a 20 to them and of course myself a 21.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Probably Poker Player's Picnic. But I do a different version than is taught in Royal Road which eliminates all the tedious "Take three cards and put them on the bottom, now deal the top card to the other piles" business.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Francis Carlyle's The Upside Down Deck
Charles Nagel's Traveling Aces
John Scarne's Calling the Cards

All from Scarne on Card Tricks

Aug 15, 2017
I thought about it a decent amount before posting this thread. There are loads of great tricks for the beginner. Variations of the 4 aces, triumphs, torn and restored... the list could go on and on. What would you suggest and why?

After weighing in reactions and effort... I ended up going with your torn corner/angle zero style effect. For me it satisfies the senses. There is the physical tear, there is the audible sound of such, there is the visuals of it disappearing and appearing somewhere impossible. The spectator can touch it and match it. Of course most importantly, it has room to grow into various more impactful versions. (For example the sandwich version by Justin Miller I want to say?)

It’s a tough choice and there are a lot of options.
There's a great trick that uses a little bit of the two-card monte principle...it consists of the magician putting two queens before the spectator, but then the queens change to aces and it is the magician who ends up having the queens (I believe it is taught on scamschool). It is cool and ALWAYS guarantees a double take by the audience. It is really REALLY underrated.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results