The downfall of magic club's

Apr 14, 2018
When I was first starting out in magic I couldn't wait for magic club night. There was always at least 20-30 members there. Last week when I went there was only 8. Does anyone have any idea to get members who just don't go anymore to get that magic bug back. Also where would you look to get new younger members?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It seems that a combination of putting on live performances, as well as hosting lectures, does a lot to build membership and bring in younger members. At least, that's what the Fresno Magic Club has done.

When I joined it was small. 6-10 people per meeting was normal. Most of them were two to three times my age at the time.

Over the past few years, largely due to my friend Kyle (who just released his first product to the magic world, GripT), they've been doing a lot more public performances. They sort of partnered with a winery to do periodic member showcases, as well as a now-annual performance at a dinner theater in town. Which, I might add, they sold out faster than the dinner show's regular entertainment sells. So lots of people in the area are seeing these people perform and have fun. They also started hosting lectures by decently well known magicians, so there's incentive to attend and be part of it above and beyond watching everyone in the club do their favorite card trick for the 22nd time. From what he's told me their membership is consistently 20-25 folks with another dozen or so who come and go.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I am on a mailing list for my local IBM Ring and they seem to do what @ChristopherT said. They hold lectures and have some other events going on outside of their monthly meeting. The person I talked to from the Ring said they have a fairly large group right now with people in their teens up to their 80s.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Our magic club/IBM ring is almost 20-30 members strong. 2-3 lectures per year, road trips to Abbott's and magic auctions are a must and are a really good time. We also try to attend conventions together. Just showing up to a monthly business meeting is boring. We keep the business portion short and sweet under 30 minutes and then members perform up in front of everyone. These things are what keep out numbers high.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
We have an active club. There have been some really foundational people who have kept it going over the years, and more recently a guy who really is excited about pushing it forward. He's done a great job. They bring a lot of lectures (including club members sharing tips and tricks), brown bag competitions, book reviews, and this past weekend they hosted a family magic show to raise money for the club (which sold out both shows!). It seems that having someone with passion and little drama/politics is very appealing.
The club members are all awesome with welcoming new people of all skill levels. People want a place where they fit in and belong.

Reactions: RickEverhart
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results