Business Cards?

Aug 28, 2017
I want to start performing magic for parties, events, etc. I want to make business cards but I want to know what I should put on them, besides basic contact information, and I don't want them to be too "Edgy". Do you guys know any designers/companies that make good ones? Or could you show me an example of a good one?

I would also like to be able to perform a Paul Harris trick with these, so the stock will need to be foldable.
Thanks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't have any picture examples, no, but I do have some opinions on what makes a good card.

First off - if you're not a designer, hire someone. Or at least, be ready to have it critiqued by someone that knows what they are talking about, and listen to them.

A business card is intended to keep contact information handy. It's a poor form of advertising. Paper advertising has a return rate of less than 1% in many cases - which means if 100 people take your card, you might only get 1 response, if all you're doing is handing them out and hoping.

The key to any success with business cards is making sure the person taking it is genuinely interested in hiring you, and has an event in mind for you.

Another thing - many people just take a picture of the info side of the card, and then toss it. Particularly if it's an odd shape or size, or won't fit comfortably in a business card case.

So with that in mind, I recommend this - Name, title, logo if you have one (see comment about designers above), a tagline/quick description of what you do, and contact information all on one side. Make sure it's easy to read.

Mine is black, with silver writing/art. My name, "Witch Doctor", monogram (designed by Stuart Palm), my tag line, email, phone number.

The back is a picture of myself. If you have a distinct image, this isn't super necessary. I mostly did it because I had a cool picture of myself and nothing else to put on the back.

When I reprint these I will probably change it so my logo is silver and everything else is light grey, and on a matte texture for readability.

When you do a description, don't list every kind of event you do - that's tacky.

Personally, I dislike seeing magic tricks worked into the card itself (unless it's a subtle marking or something else that will fly by).

One thing I highly recommend is to try to make it look cool enough that someone might hang on to it just to look at it. My wife's has a really nice picture of her done by a local photographer, of her in a Satyr costume (Her biggest thing is stilt walking in various characters). The other side is black and gold stripes with her information in contrasting ink colors. It looks like a little piece of art in itself and many people will display it as such.

Whenever possible, get a business card from anyone you give one to, as well.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I just did up a simple one this time around. I designed it in a way that works with a peek that I sometimes do as well as one other effect that requires that I write on the card.

Chris mentioned something important with cards - ask for other people's cards. I would just add the reason that it makes them feel good when you do. Think about how you feel when someone asks for your card. Also I always ask for photographer's cards or other performers cards and I keep them tucked in my case. This has come in handy multiple times, when I arrive at an event and see a familiar face working the same event. I can look back in the cards and find their name before I say hi.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results