Book Tests

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I am wanting to order Gatsby, for an upcoming show - but I'm not sure if I should invest in that particular book test, or a different one (possibly Zodiac). Any opinions?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
As with any effect, every book tests have trade offs. Gatsby has fewer tradeoffs. However, there are lots of other book tests that might meet your needs. I tend to research / purchase a lot of different methods and then decide what works best. If you don't have the money or time to do that, just get Gatsby. The key ultimately is to focus on presentation.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Gatsby is very easy and you can focus on your presentation. For the price it's a great effect. Mix it in with two other chapter books and magicians force Gatsby and then go into your presentation. Talk about how most chapter books contain over 100,000 words in them and it would be near impossible to memorize an entire book..... you see where I am going with this

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
As with any effect, every book tests have trade offs. Gatsby has fewer tradeoffs. However, there are lots of other book tests that might meet your needs. I tend to research / purchase a lot of different methods and then decide what works best. If you don't have the money or time to do that, just get Gatsby. The key ultimately is to focus on presentation.
That's what I thought. With certain book test they're rather complicated, forcing you to follow the same performance route. With Gatsby I can change it around to my liking. Thanks

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Gatsby is the easiest method by far and it is only $35! So it is a killer deal! One thing my friend Bret does is has like 5 or 6 different book tests and has a different book for each. He lays them out on a table and lets the audience member choose ones then uses that book test. He said it makes every show feel different for him to keep things random.

Reactions: Gabriella J
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Gatsby is very easy and you can focus on your presentation. For the price it's a great effect. Mix it in with two other chapter books and magicians force Gatsby and then go into your presentation. Talk about how most chapter books contain over 100,000 words in them and it would be near impossible to memorize an entire book..... you see where I am going with this
Yea, that sounds good. I think I'll go for it. Do you think it could successfully play up to a stage performance? I've never done a book test on stage

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results