new to Cardistry - Tally Ho deck

May 24, 2018
My Greetings to your amazing online community.

I am a new Cardistry enthusiast, struggling to find my way in the vast volumes of information available on the www for this wonderful form of art.
I started experimenting with various decks of cards, mainly superior editions of Bicycle cards and Tally Ho. For the latter, I read rave reviews as far as their suitability for Cardistry is concerned.

My experience of my first fan back deck is the following: After 3 days of half an hour practice a day, the deck became sticky and ‘swollen’ (it barely fits in the tuck case, and when I take out it is like a single inseparable block). Although this is good for cuts, fanning and dribbling are impossible. Is this normal?
Could it be my handling? or environmental conditions (in my home town humidity can reach up to 60 or even 70 degrees)? forgot to mention, every time I practice I wash hands thoroughly.

However, Bikes, which are supposed to be not as durable as the Tallies, stand pretty well over reasonable amount of time.

In general, which (not costly) decks would you suggest for regular Cardistry practice, and, is it the case that a good deck for cuts is not that good for fanning and other similar flourishes? Is there any one-fits-all candidate?

Thanx in advance,
Vasilis
Patras, GREECE

May 10, 2018
In my opinion, bikes are a bit too slippy for cardistry, but maybe that's just because I'm bad it haha

Tally Ho's are good for cardistry, the problems with them might be the humidity in your home yeah. Try putting them under heavy books or weights after you use them and see if that helps them last a bit longer

Dec 29, 2017
Probably humidity and sweat/oils from your hands while practicing. Couldn't hurt to try storing them in an air tight box with some silica desiccant packets. I live in a super humid area and unless I plan on using a deck, they're stored in such containers. (Sucks you can't really have a nice display but i'd rather have functional decks of cards)

Aug 15, 2017
Silica gel packets WORK...thumbs up for them! :)

Also, I dunno...but I have read putting them in refrigerators work.

Look that up before trying it tho...

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Sounds to me that you're not doing anything wrong - it's just that you live in a humid climate. Playing cards hate moisture, and this is inevitably a result if you store them and use them in humid conditions. You can probably expect to see that happen with most decks, no matter what the quality of the deck.

A room with a dehumidifier is an option, or else the silica gel packs mentioned already. Do whatever you can to avoid sunlight and humidity, and store them in as cool and dry a place as you can.

Aug 7, 2018
Put your cards in the fridge. Also, check out the Bee deck on TX1s page. They feel more plastic-y to where they don’t swell up as much but they still feel amazing.
Also, I wouldn’t consider TX1 decks to be expensive....it’s only expensive when you buy more than one. ($10 is fine in my head but $20 is absolutely ridiculous). I’d check out a deck of monarchs for cardistry. I just started too and I favor them much more than bicycles

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results