Nerves

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I have a talent competition finals, and for some reason I'm extremely worried something will go wrong. I've performed on stage several times. Any tips for dealing with this fear?

Aug 15, 2017
I have a talent competition finals, and for some reason I'm extremely worried something will go wrong. I've performed on stage several times. Any tips for dealing with this fear?
Rehearsal is the best remedy here. Keep rehearsing! Don't just 'practice'... do it as if you were doing it for the audience and this is your last shot at it!

Also, prepare a few backup plans, JUST IN CASE.

Just saying, when I had a performance (stage...in front of the school) then I was humming my favourite song softly, the few moments before my performance. Believe me, makes a difference (scientifically proven). Anyways, once you get on the stage, your performer self will step in for auto-control and you'll hardly remember how nervous you were just a few minutes before :)

Remember, a little bit of nerves is necessary. A performer who doesn't feel them has forgotten the thrill of performing, at least, that's what I think.

There's nothing to be afraid of though! You have done it SO many times, you are well-prepared. Get the final touches down and that's it. Don't stress.

Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy and live the moment on the stage. Live the fear, the anxiety, the nerves, the dry throat, the somersaulting stomach, the leaping heart. That's what is called performing! That's living dude...not sitting backstage bored 'cuz you know you'll do the trick correctly anyways. :)

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I have been doing magic professionally for almost 10 years. God only knows how many shows I have performed and still I get nervous before every gig as well. If the material you are lerforming is polished ans you know it will go well then the best thing to do is keep your mind off the performormance and focus on something else. Once you start performing you will be fine. Thats how it is for me. I try not to think on it too much and then when it comes time to dive in I do so head first. This way i have no time to spych myself out. Find the method that works best for you to help get rid of the nerves before you head out. David stone does pushups before his show to get out the extra adrenaline.

Aug 15, 2017
EDIT:- Just saying...people give others snacks and food treats when they themselves are successful at something and it is almost a custom to ask for such food treats (think fries and cola). It's said in a friendly way. Like, if someone has rocked at it at a talent show, it is they who should get a treat but if one is annoyingly friendly, one will ask for their treat/gift. It's like,"Hey! Congrats for all the great work you've done and stuff...now what about a treat (again, think fries and cola)?"

Why did I post this? Well, I dunno...maybe it'll serve some purpose later on in future...JUST SAYING. Ignore if you don't get it tho... :) :) :)

Also, @Gabriella J , great work and remember, you've made Hogwarts proud!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
First of all, congratulations on your win(s).

Secondly,
Nerves can get the best of you, even for people like me who have been performing for 18 years straight. It's just our bodies reaction to adrenaline and/or our thought process of "What if something goes wrong?"
The bodies reaction can be something mild like sweaty palms, the shakes, or even upset stomach and feelings of going to pass out. If you talk to a lot of performers, a lot of them do not eat prior to performances either due to not wanting to have any upset stomach/bathroom issues ha! Trust me I've been there too.

The best thing to do is to take a lot of the advice here and practice practice practice your full sets or routines with patter and everything. Do it for the camera, audiences, family, friends, pets (ha), etc. Eventually you are going to see where and when possible mistakes are going to happen and how you can recover.

Best of luck in the future.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results