Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Allan

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
What do you like when it comes to the classic metal Cup and Ball / Chop Cup / Combo cups?

Personally I have always liked the beefier cups like Mendoza's and Fox's.

Jul 26, 2016
My favorite are the Brett Sherwood cups. They are hand spun/handmade and they just ooze quality and class. I decided to splurge a few years ago after many years of lower end copper and aluminum sets.

The funny thing about it is, while they are very nice to look at and there is some pride of ownership, about a year ago I decided that I would start using coffee cups or mugs for my cups and balls and chop cup routines. My feeling was they are every day objects that can even be borrowed or that are right at hand in a restaurant, bar, peoples' homes, and at most special events. Even though the standard cups and balls with no chop cup in the set aren't gaffed, to a layman they still look like a "magician's prop," and many laymen are suspicious of them. Like Erdnase said, "They should not even suspect, let alone detect." If they believe that a prop or gimmick is responsible for the effect(s), even if that is not the case, it greatly weakens the trick and can even destroy the illusion in their minds.

These days, I mainly do a one cup routine with a coffee cup or mug (borrowed if possible), use olives, grapes, cherries or balled up borrowed dollar bills for the balls (instead of the little odd-looking "sweater balls" I used to use), and a table knife or sharpie serves nicely for when I want a "wand." This gives a very impromptu look and feel.

I have found that the effects that are done with a standard gimmicked chop cup can be duplicated by sleight of hand, and when 3 lemons (or other fruits) are produced out of the ordinary cup for the finale, the reaction is even far greater than it used to be when I used a chop cup.

Reactions: cgstorz
May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
Good points.

These days I do a two cup routine with a pair of the smaller Don Allen cups (the ones about the size of a double shot glass). I start with both of them filled with water (which I pass off a alcohol and deliver a joke about balancing my severe alcoholism with the health benefits of copper cups). I combine chop cup and trad cup and ball moves, ala Mendoza.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Jul 26, 2016
Sounds like a fun routine that packs light. Mendoza's combo routine is very clever. Coincidentally I was just watching it a couple nights ago on one of his "My Best" DVDs. The combination of chop cup and traditional cup(s) opens up a lot of very magical options...

The first magician I ever saw do a two-cup C&B routine was David Williamson, which was quite well done, but my fave is Hawaiian magician, Carl Andrews' routine. I purchased his DVD, "Table Hopping Cups and Balls" and it is wonderful! His final loads are sponge balls and after the production he goes right into an excellent sponge ball routine, which he also teaches on the DVD. Very slick and creative! Highly recommended.

What do you use for final loads in your routine with the Don Allen cups?

May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
Pedestrian stuff, small limes when they are in season--goes with the alcohol theme.

I am looking for a way to make something that looks like jello so I could produce jello shots at the end. I've tried actually jello but it is impractical.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Mendoza Stainless Steel Combo Cups. I use green olives in a routine about making martinis when I tended bar while in school and the guy who would always order extra olives... lots of them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results