The Three Shell Game as Magic

Feb 11, 2018
I've spent a good bit of time learning the Three Shell Game as a magic routine, having found and studied just about everybody/thing I can on the subject. I think it's a great combination of sleights and psychology which is both truly interactive with spectators and entertaining with the correct presentation.

One of the things NO one says, though, is where you go to actually perform the Shell Game for an audience. If you get hired as a magician somewhere, and you have the goal of wanting to do your shell game, you could work your way to it through cups and balls, etc., or another gambling-magic motif. That way you've started out as a magician and not a street hustler.

This distinction seems to be a serious one, as I've heard of magicians advertising themselves AS magicians, and still coming under scrutiny of police/security/management when the shells appeared. Videos of Pop Haydn, Chef Anton and Jack Diamond don't tell you HOW they got a safe venue to do their routines. There are places in the world where even pretending to do Three-Card Monte or the Shell Game can get you in trouble.

Darwin Ortiz, in Strong Magic, says he thinks the gambling motif offers a great deal of possibility. And certainly a magical approach offers the safety--and fun-- to spectators of being able to participate in a kind of game where they can "go along" without worrying about losing their bank accounts (or being arrested), or being insulted/feeling like losers.

So the questions remains: How DO you safely get to do your Three Shell Game? I ask because I would like to do it outside of my house or with other magicians as the only audience.

Jul 26, 2016
I honestly don't think there would be a problem doing it most anywhere, and at any point in your act, except maybe doing it outside on a street corner, where it could be at least temporarily misinterpreted by the local law enforcement authorities. Like any other routine, it's all about the presentation, and if that's good, for example, a story about how you got hustled in the game, or how you happened upon a hustler scamming people on a street corner in New York, New Orleans, Paris, or wherever, or even as just a demonstration of an old swindle. One of my favorite routines in the world is the 3-card (non-gaffed) monte, and people are fascinated by it, as they generally are with pretty much any gambling demonstration. I have never had a problem performing it most anywhere, anytime - from bar gigs to upscale special events - and yes, for magicians. The one thing I would caution against is challenging the spectators and making them "wrong." Otherwise I say, no worries, just go for it!

Reactions: C J and Mr_ARPY
Feb 11, 2018
I honestly don't think there would be a problem doing it most anywhere, and at any point in your act, except maybe doing it outside on a street corner, where it could be at least temporarily misinterpreted by the local law enforcement authorities. Like any other routine, it's all about the presentation, and if that's good, for example, a story about how you got hustled in the game, or how you happened upon a hustler scamming people on a street corner in New York, New Orleans, Paris, or wherever, or even as just a demonstration of an old swindle. One of my favorite routines in the world is the 3-card (non-gaffed) monte, and people are fascinated by it, as they generally are with pretty much any gambling demonstration. I have never had a problem performing it most anywhere, anytime - from bar gigs to upscale special events - and yes, for magicians. The one thing I would caution against is challenging the spectators and making them "wrong." Otherwise I say, no worries, just go for it!

Good words, Al e. There are many positives about doing the shell game for entertainment, for young and old alike. I'm glad to hear you've had success with it. I'll give it a go in the next venue that seems ripe for it.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results