PIRACY

C J

Nov 29, 2017
So anyone who has ever published something online has run into this issue. Piracy takes money away from the creators and companies.

Having said all of that how can we stop it?

Mods and people who work for magic companies. What would you have the magic community do about this?

Regular form browsers lets come up with ideas on how to stop piracy, anything goes.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Having said all of that how can we stop it?

There is no realistic way to stop piracy.

Humans are fundamentally a little lazy, and a little self-centered, and the people who actually care about magic are in the vast minority.

Not to mention the people who believe that "all information wants to be free".

You can't stop piracy - you can only make it not effect you, personally.

Sep 10, 2017
The only thing we can do is to report the places that do so, and hopefully people that have the power to stop them, will take legal action against them.

To be honest, you can never stop such stuff completely , in things like video games indudtry, the biggest publisher of pirated pc games is fitgirl, everyone knows about it, most people use it, and still, even big companies can not stop it. The best way is to make something good enough that a lot of people buy it to support you.

Reactions: C J

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Piracy is so unavoidable that the cost of it is predicted and factored into the cost of products.

The only thing one can do is foster a respect for the magic community and the creators, always buy genuine, and speak out against those who do support piracy.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Unfortunately due to the digital media age, this is a side effect of it. Piracy whether music, films or magic will never go away.
It's up to each and everyone of us, to support what we love and put out the money to keep the creators of what we love in a financial position to continue.

May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
Piracy is so unavoidable that the cost of it is predicted and factored into the cost of products.

The only thing one can do is foster a respect for the magic community and the creators, always buy genuine, and speak out against those who do support piracy.

This. Though I would go further. I actively shame anyone who I know to be ripping off a fellow magi, if they reject education on the subject. If it is in our power we should make such persons' names mud in the community. This is such a niche business that content creators really can ill afford piracy.

On a more positive note, I try to do as much of my business directly with creators as is possible. I know that the source is 100% legit and the magician will be getting the maximal amount of profit possible from his or her work. So Michael Close gets all my Michael Close money, Jeff Copeland gets all my Jeff Copeland money, etc.

The only guy who deserves to have his stuff stolen is Dan Harlan, because how many summer homes does one dude need? Just joking.

Reactions: CWhite

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I generally try to purchase direct as well, as well as contacting creators when I purchase their products. This has not only helped me insure I support the appropriate people, it has helped me develop a lot of relationships in the magic community.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I generally try to purchase direct as well, as well as contacting creators when I purchase their products. This has not only helped me insure I support the appropriate people, it has helped me develop a lot of relationships in the magic community.
Great idea! On that note, I loved your PDF. I picked it up a couple weeks ago and devoured it. Still waiting on that collab with David by the way!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results