What exactly is “Organic Magic”?

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
I think Organic Magic are magic tricks that can be performed entirely with borrowed objects, but I am not quite sure. I can’t find much of a description on the internet, so anyone care to enlighten me?

Sep 10, 2017
I have the same question as well. I think it is basically none coin and none card tricks which could be performed for real people as well as social media.

May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
It's a BS marketing term. Don't buy into the BS, there is nothing wrong with the traditional props of magic. I pretty sure that Mr. Messado would bet all of his tip money on that. The commercials might as well say, "Hey, are you completely incapable of putting a routine together? Never fear, Organic Magic is here!! Just borrow random object X from someone, do a quick one off trick and then have the nerve to call yourself a magician!!!"

There is nothing wrong with borrowed item magic, but to say that it is "more natural" and "more magical" than anything else is just trite. I think it is an attitude arrived at by amateurs who spent all their time mastering moves and no time mastering theater. A guy who can do passes, changes, turnovers but can't mystify with a pack of cards isn't a magician, he's merely a mechanic. But he tells himself he's a magician and comes to the erroneous conclusion that "cards aren't magical".

The day that Paul Gertner, Michael Close, and the other top close up workers stop doing card and coin magic is the day I will believe that those props are dead.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Cards themselves are not magical. They are cardboard and ink and glue. Coins are just bits of metal. The magic comes from the performance, not the props.

Organic has become BS, I agree. I think originally it just meant working with props in your environment. ie: sleight of hand with a variety of objects. In other words, magic that can arise organically from the situation at hand.

Which means that originally, organic magic required theatrical ability - because you had to be able to pick up random things and create an entertaining performance out of them. Max Malini built his entire career on that skill according to Ricky Jay. Rocco (Of D'Lite fame) is known for that as well (Grab some dirt, little bit of water, watch a plant sprout in the palm).

But these days I think "Organic" has become a new way of saying "Be the life of the party".

Aug 15, 2017
I think Organic Magic are magic tricks that can be performed entirely with borrowed objects, but I am not quite sure. I can’t find much of a description on the internet, so anyone care to enlighten me?
I have a feeling your interpretation is pretty much correct. I mean, it does not have to be a 100% borrowed-items-show...but the main parts should be borrowed and the pen or sharpie of course, can be your own.

I think 'organic magic' is more of an idea and a presentation style. Even a card trick can be organic if the focus is shifted from the cards to, say, the napkin in a café or the fire in a spooky setting on Halloween's or something.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
To me, organic has always meant natural to the environment you are performing. A coffee cup at a starbucks would be considered organic. Using earbuds to do a cut and restored rope routine would be considered organic. Tic tac box would be considered organic.

I do agree though that the term has become so broadened that basically every single trick is being called organic now as a marketing buzz word.

For example, I can perform chop cup with a standard cup from a magic shop. But only a magician would carry one of those in the real world. It would be considered “organic” to use a coffe cup and a wadded up napkin instead. Because those props are more ordinary and real worldly. It would be Organic to the max if you used items that would be directly found in the environment you are in. If im performing at fishermans warf, mabye using an empty tuna can and bait & tackle as the cups and balls?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Free range or cage free magic is where it is at now.

But seriously I think its in the vein of what other people, real world items from the environment that don't need to be justified.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results