What are some good hand exercises for bending forks?

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
As the title says, I am looking to improve my hand strength so I can bend tougher forks, and being able to do it good.

I guess you would need grip strength and pinch strength, but I am no expert.
Do does anyone know any good exercises for bending forks?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, bending forks is one of them. :D

Standard consult a physician before beginning a workout regime disclaimer goes here.

Here's a video that goes over several grip/forearm exercises:

You can also find grip exercise bars - which are like short rubber sections that you're meant to twist and bend - to work the arms/wrists/hands.

Sep 10, 2017

These exercises arent necessarily aimed towards hand strength, but they do help with what you are looking for.

Jun 27, 2018
Firstly, there is a lot to be said for technique - using an "fingertips only" technique will only work for the cheapest silverware. Which part of the spoon/fork you try to bend also matters. You'll want to research and experiment with different techniques. Tine bends are easier than whole spoon bends. You can also start of by straightening out a metal paper clip and bending that if you want to practice the misdirection.

Regardless, strength does play a role and you want to get to a point where you can bend the toughest silverware with no visible effort. I can personally attest that the grip strengtheners used by strength atheletes/bodybuilders do work well. Get one with variable tension that you can dial in as you get stronger (early progress can be quick, so this will save you buying multiple times). I found more reps at lower intensity to yield better results for me for spoon bending purposes.

Remember the muscles worked are a bit different though, so this is a supplement to, not substitute for, practicing with actual spoons.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I've spent years in weight rooms and I once talked to an old powerlifter and he told me the only extra thing he ever did for grip strength outside of just lifting weights was to take silly puddy and he would work it with his fingers.

Jun 27, 2018
I've spent years in weight rooms and I once talked to an old powerlifter and he told me the only extra thing he ever did for grip strength outside of just lifting weights was to take silly puddy and he would work it with his fingers.

That's right. Strength athletes build grip strength by lifting weights with their hands. But I thought suggesting OP do heavy dead lifts to in order to bend forks would be a little overkill... ;)

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
That's right. Strength athletes build grip strength by lifting weights with their hands. But I thought suggesting OP do heavy dead lifts to in order to bend forks would be a little overkill... ;)
I am a firm believer that heavy deadlifts fix everything! It is never overkill! haha

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results